SACD/how do I sellect bistream

robbobert7

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,Hope someone can help.I have just Changed my trusty old DENON avr 1906 for a YAMAHA RX-A830 advantage which has great sound and video.I have a DENON DVD 2910 which i only use for SACDs/CDs.The problem i have is I cannot play SACDs as the YAMAHA does not have the 5 connections my DENON 1906 has.I contacted YAMAHA( please see reply)I have connected from the DENON DVD 2910 via stereo audio to the audio 1 on the YAMAHA and then connected the optical to the yamaha but I cannot play SACD( when I play PINK FLOYDS,DARK SIDE OF THE MOON,track3"on the run"the foot steps should go around the room but they only travel left to right/stereo.)How do I set the denon DVD 2910 to bitstream rather than PCM !
Hi Robert,

Thanks for your email,

As the RX-A820 does not feature a multi channel input as did your old receiver, your best option is to run a Stereo RCA connection from the Stereo Audio out on the DVD player into the Audio 1 Input of the AV Receiver, you would then select this as your input for listening to SACD's.

You could then run a digital audio connection such as Optical, HDMI or Coax to handle the surround sound digital audio from any DVD's you choose to play back, you will need to make sure the players digital audio is et to Bitstream as opposed to PCM to allow the Receiver to do all the decoding for you of the surround sound.

I hope this helps

Regards, Boyd

Yamaha AV Sales Support

--------------- Original Message ---------------
Subject: Product Support

Hi,I need to connect my denon dvd 2910 to my yamaha rx-a830.I only use the dvd player for SUPER AUDIO COMPACT DISC's(sacd) as it has a decoder and the yamaha doesnt.When i connected my denon amp to my denon dvd player I had 5 phono connections between the two to seperate the five channels.( my denon amp didnt have a sacd decoder).At the back of m New yamaha rx-a830 it gives 5 connections for a power amp in !.What connections will I have to make.

For further questions, please respond to this email.
Please note that email attachments are not allowed.

Regards,

Yamaha AV Sales Support.
ref:_00D105HEf._50010Flxf6:ref

Attachments

• DENON DVD-2910 user guide.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
You need to connect using a HDMI cable (forget about optical and the analogue audio), and set your Denon to output MULTI (LPCM)

Actually, I've just looked at the manual for your DVD player and it says on page 10 that only stereo audio is supported from SACD via the HDMI output.

I'm afraid you are stuck. You either need a different DVD player that will convert SACD to multi-channel LPCM or an AVR with analogue inputs.

Oh shit,The easiest and cheapest option would be a older DVD player that SACD to a multi channel LPCM.Thanks STEVELUP for your input.........Has anyone any ideas on good DVD/cd players !

Note that irrespective of whrther you use multichannel anolgue connections or indeed HDMI, the DACs onboard most AV receiver's cannot handle RAW DSD (the audio format used for SACDs). Even the receivers that can accept bitstreamed DSD need to then convert it to lower resolution LPCM ptior to the DAC. Only the DACs onboard the flagship AV receivers have the ability to handle pur DSD. The RXA830 can accept bitstreamed DSD via HDMI, but its DACs cannot handle DSD directly.

What is your budget for a player (DVD or Blu-ray)?

Note that irrespective of whrther you use multichannel anolgue connections or indeed HDMI, the DACs onboard most AV receiver's cannot handle RAW DSD (the audio format used for SACDs). Even the receivers that can accept bitstreamed DSD need to then convert it to lower resolution LPCM ptior to the DAC. Only the DACs onboard the flagship AV receivers have the ability to handle pur DSD. The RXA830 can accept bitstreamed DSD via HDMI, but its DACs cannot handle DSD directly.
In fact, even if the DACs on your receiver are delta-sigma DACs, that does not mean that the receiver will not anyway convert to LPCM. Few receivers have the ability to perform bass management, equalization, etc. on native DSD signals, so will convert to LPCM for processing. And even if you do disable all processing, that still doesn't mean the DSD -> LPCM conversion is bypassed.

A second-hand Arcam DV139 is an option for a player that can send LPCM over HDMI for SACD. Since it can't play bluray, it can be found quite cheaply. For a new player an Oppo Universal is a popular choice in UK.

Hi,Thanks for your replys.I will spend around £300(I am now living in Perth WA so that will be around $ 450)I already have a blu-ray player but now dvd players seem to be dinosaurs its great to pick up a class DVD/SACD player for little money.The only trouble is that I am in Perth so sourcing can be hard,if you can throw some good player models at me I will keep looking.cheers.:lease:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom