1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SACD Hints & Tips please...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Kazuya Mishima, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I have a few hundred pounds to spend and I am keen to try out SACD - multichannel music and high resolution stereo. I heard a few demos at last year's Manchester hi-fi exhibition, and was intrigued...

At the moment I listen to music with my DV88+ player, through an Arcam AVR200 amp, connected to Kef Q5 speakers (with a Kef Q9c and 2 Kef eggs for movies).

My questions are as follows:

1 - are my amp and speakers of sufficient quality to experience recordings in "high resolution stereo" ?

2 - will multi-channel music be any good with the Q5s and 2 eggs (do you need 4/5 speakers of comparable size to do this?)

3 - What kind of sound quality will an entry level SACD player (eg approx £300) give compared to my existing set-up?

Thanks in anticipation,

Kazuya.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    You should certainly notice some benefit from trying SACD,and the surround aspect can be very pleasant.
    In the price range the Pioneer 565 is a very good choice as it does SACD/DVD-A and comes in at under £200.
    It won't be as good on CD playback as your Arcam,which for a DVD player is actually pretty good on straight CD playback.

3. owenw

owenw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    SACD's sounds better even on my modest system. The only trouble is the lack of titles and the cost.

Also, I can't hear much difference between my mid-fi Sony SACD player and new Sony DVD player with SACD. Could do with a bass management facility though on the DVD

4. andymc

andymc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Your amp and speakers are fine - I noticed the difference on all the various hifis in the house. Watch out for the various CD's though. Some are mixed for multichannel and they dont sound so great when played back through a stereo system - make sure your player gives you the option to pick "2 Channel" or Multichannel so you can choose as per your set up. I found that say Michael Jackson Thriller sounds superb, James Tayor Hourglass is another that sounds so much better than the original but Mariah Carey - Numbers 1's just sounds strange - so strange I took it back. I have heard that Meat Loaf Bat Out Of hell is another one that sounds dire so maybe we need to create a thread of good bad and ugly discs... I am also experimenting with DVD Audio and hope to receive a pile of discs this weekend.

Check out these places for lists of what is available.
    http://www.dvd4music.com/
    http://www.highfidelityreview.com/
    http://www.superaudio-cd.com/

I found that www.play.com seems to be the cheapest place to buy them but you cannot view all titles in one go - you have to select by artist...www.mvc.co.uk allows you to look at all titles both SACD and DVDA in one hit - and they have a good few listed.

Watchout for quite a few new releases. The new Sting Album is on a hybrid disc (plays in both SACD and reular players) and the remastering process has begun. Bob Dylans back catalogue has been totally redone and they are busy doing The Rolling Stones at the moment. Universal are doing 200 titles and Virgin have started too...

hope this helps

Andy Cuthbert

5. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I've got a problem with mine - I've got 2 dvd-a's and an sacd.
    one of the dvd-a's plays fine (REM), but the other just plays 2 channels (the pogues), and the sacd (mike oldfield) only plays 2 channels too...hmm...

6. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got a DV89 and while it doesn't play SACD in multichannel, it does play DVD-A, I've also got an AVR100 and KEF Eggs all round and multi-channel music (when you get the right software) sounds fantastic. In fact even my SACD copy of Dark Side of the Moon sounds far better than the original copy I had

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    andymc....a very good point re the 5.1 and 2 channel mixes...a number of them sound like a higher-Fi rendition of the old quadrophonic discs that appeared in the 70s/80s,with sounds appearing all over the place.

8. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Thanks everyone, some useful advice there. :smashin:

9. sparrow-07

sparrow-07

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I recently bought the Sting album for the girlfriend, but it will not play on my Marantz DVD player. The player thinks it's a DVD.

Are there any settings to alter this?

10. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Babble - I have the 656A

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but to get 5 channel from SACD's (apart from selecting 5 channel output from the player menus) you need to connect the 6 analogue outputs (from the player's internal decoder) to your amp. I think the DVD-A is playing okay because its a DVD but you wont be getting the audio quality advantage of DVD-A if you don't decode internally.

This means 6 extra phono leads - adds a bit to the budget for the player (I spent £75 on 3x2 phono leads).

You then set the amp input to "external decoder" (If it's like mine).

I think that may be the prob - i stand to be corrected

11. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I have a similar problem with a Toshiba DVD player I got as a freebie with my RPTV....the same discs play fine in both the HCPC's drive and an ancient Samsung DVD player my kids use,so I think it's down to regional coding issues.

12. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course, I meant to say "as well as"

13. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    It is good isn't it!! However, it's more "gimicky" than great. My 180 gram vinyl pressing is still better overall. Still glad i bought it though!!! :D

I note quite a few other people here have found variable quality with SACD and DVD-A. The DVD-A's in particular seem be suffering from the same "rush it out for quick buck" syndrome that early CD's did. Neil Youngs Harvest is good though..................... :zonked:

14. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only have a few, but I specifically bought my 656A BECAUSE of Dark Side of the Moon! It was worth it, i think DSOTM was made for it! (Well they did have quadrophonic in mind originally), But one has to say its all in the mix, and they did an excellent job. I now here far more of the music.

I guess it is likely to work better because it always was a "soundscape" type album, rather than a traditional stereo image - if you get my drift...

I would say my vinyl pressing is the 2nd best version (on a Planar 3), and beats the standard CD, but the SACD is, to use a well worn phrase, awesome!

I have REM's "Automatic" DVD-A - superb, but the Reveal DVD-A just leaves me cold.

Similarly, Roger Water's SACD - fairly pointless, some good music, but little benefit from 5 channels.

I also have Miles Davis Kind of Blue SACD - its a very subtle mix, enhances the album without creating a weird effect.

I am thinking of trying out one of the Yes 5 channel mixes - any one else got them / want to comment?

15. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Ah, that explains it!!;) The Xerxes is still only being used to 50%-60% of its potential with my kit, yet it still blows my digital players out of the water!! The Rega's a nice turntable but good digital replay betters it. The 180 gram pressings are a step (several in fact!) above normal vinyl as well.

I have heard, but don't own Fragile on DVD-A. I love Fragile so i'm a bit biased, but the disc was good!! Wakemans keyboards swirl nicely on Disk anyway so imagine what it's like on multi-channel!! As i've only had one listen, and on someone elses kit, i'm reluctant to recommend - but what i heard was good! :)

16. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Overkill

Xerxes - a different league I guess!

So where do i get a 180gm DSOTM? I have several copies, don't know if any are. I also have the anniversary edition - is this 180gm?

Well, i guess it may be - I just weighed it - 180gm - spot on! My others are 125gm!

I have trouble sourcing vinyl anyway - any suggestions?

I think I may give Fragile a go. The other one thats available on DVD-A is Magnification - have you heard that?

17. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Will do!! There are quite a few out there.............. so it will take a free moment!

No, i haven't heard Magnification. Not sure whether my mate has it either. Will check!

The Anniversary edition is indeed 180 gram!!:D It's one of four copies i own. Sad eh?:)

18. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - I would appreciate that.

Yep we're a sad bunch! I think I have 4 also, plus CD & SACD

Also got the DVD, have you got that? Its excellent, its great to see the old geezers playing bits in the studio, and explaining stuff. Naturally you never see more than one in the studio at a time!