SACD for Stereo

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Blue_Max, May 6, 2007.

1. Blue_Max

Blue_Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    May be someone could correct me as well as advice me on this.

As I understand it, Hybrid SACD has two layers.
    The Red Book CD layer is inferior to the 4.7 GB HD layer but can reproduce in stereo.

What happens when a SACD is played in a universal player such as Denon DVD-2900 into stereo amp and two speakers ?
    1. only get L&R channels and lose music on other channels;
    2. can be set to play the CD layer. You hear all the music in stereo but not in HD;
    3. or the ideal senario: universal players (and may be also SACD players) can convert HD into stereo and you get the best out of SACD.

Apparently there are over 4,500 SACD releases. Are they worth a punt for 2-channel stereo use only using a universal player?

And since frequency response extend to 100 kHz, do you need Sony amps and super tweeters to benefit from SACD?

2. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    My personal opinion is to focus on getting good sounds from your existing CD collection, as against fiddling with a niche format.
    It really doesn't matter whether it sounds better when you can't listen to the songs you actually want to hear on it. So if you have very few CDs, like Jazz and classical, possibly worth a punt.
    If however you have a decent CD collection, go buy the best CDP you can and enjoy what you have already.

My previous experience with SACD was that that the players were about as good as a CD player costing roughly twice as much (VERY rough rule of thumb). So it's certainly not that a cheapy SACD player will walk all over a top level CD player.

3. charliecossie

charliecossie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hybrid SACD can have 3 separate "layers":-
    1) CD audio
    2) SACD stereo
    3) SACD multichannel
    Every SACD has a stereo "layer". Not all SACDs are hybrid. Not all SACDs are multichannel.
    So, if you have a two channel system you really can't go wrong.

Have you already got the Denon 2900? Plugged into a half-decent system for movie sound in 2 channel? SACD will give you nothing that CD won't give you. If you're thinking of buying a 2900 to plug into a half-decent stereo system to experience SACD sound? Buy CDs instead. You will not gain any benefits from SACD stereo IMO.

Disclaimer: one or two hybrid discs may be available without an SACD stereo track (literally, just one or two).

4. Blue_Max

Blue_Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thank you 'Mr_Sukebe' and 'charliecossie' for your very informative replies. :)

Stereo is what I listened to most; not AV. Most of the time, using Arcam CD93T CDP and Arcam A85 integrated amp. Got an AV set up. But it is mediocre.

Heard so much about Denon DVD-2900, only the reason behind getting one. Played some CDs with it but sound is way behind CD 93T or a modded Marantz CD63SE through a modded SuperDAC 2496.

Already had a Toshiba DVD player. DVD-2900 did not show any improvement with DVDs either. May be it is the rest of the AV system that is the bottle neck. Anyway, not too bothered with AV.

Must have bought over 1000 CDs. Sometimes I weed out the ones I don't particularly like or have'nt listened for long time and take to OXFAM. Still got over 200. In the process of ripping them in FLAC format to HD for streaming.

Don't have any SACDs or DVD-As. Not a single one! So I am curious.
    Worth getting one of those samplers from Telrac?

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    as mentioned, SACD will only sound better up against CD systems up to twice the price.......once you get a truly high quality CD based stereo setup the available performance is astounding......but as a user of SACD's in stereo and multichannel, i find it worth having for one reason at minimum....

that reason is a lot of older albums are not always that great a recording.....whereas those put on SACD are usually mastered to a very high quality......not all, but most.......so rather than buy a CD again that perhaps you lost or has got scratched beyond repair, getting the SACD can prove beneficial if it has a superior recording on it.....this is most likely to happen with classical pieces, but also with Jazz.......modern pop based music to be honest doesnt benefit so much from SACD unless its acoustic based.....

6. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    If you're only curious, buy a few hybrids (i.e. disks with both an SACD and CD layer). That way you can get it out of your system and appease your curiosity.

If you're looking at a solution involving streaming music from a HD, check out this:
    http://www.at-view.co.uk/sb2.htm

The company offers a 30 day money back guarantee. Lets just say that I was impressed enough to replace a modded Meridian 500 transport with one.

7. Blue_Max

Blue_Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes, I know about your liking for SB+. A fine piece of kit from what people say, but very expensive.

I like a colourful display with CD covers, pic files and that is big enough to show all the info.
    So currently experimenting with another option:

NAS drive plugged into the back of modem/wireless-router (in another room);
    A laptop running Slimserver/Softsqueeze, foobar2000, Winamp or WMP (to view and select tracks)
    Laptop > 4 meter USB cable > USB to SPDIF converter > well modded DAC > pre-amp.

Got a Sony CAV-U5 couple of weeks ago. And a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX is on its way.
    http://www.zerogain.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16004&page=2

Only disadvantage is the long USB cable from the laptop to the hi-fi rack.
    Having said that I haven't listened to SB+, Transporter, Sonos, etc.

PS.
    Thanks everyone for your enlightening posts about SACD.
    Don't really regret getting the DVD-2900. Might get an SACD sampler or two. But it will be a good replacement for our faithful old Toshiba DVD player.

8. dtb300

dtb300
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    SACD I would recommend for starters for good quality recordings and SACD demonstration - but you have to like the music too.

Jazz, Pop, etc. - 2 CH SACD Listening is the best on these
    Flim & the BB's - Tricycle
    Diana Krall - Love Scenes
    Mark Knopfler - Shangri-la
    Art Pepper - Art Pepper + Eleven
    Chet Baker - Chet

Classical - MCH Listening is the best on these
    Britten/Elgar - Paavo Jarvi (Conductor)
    Boston Symphony Chamber Players - Mozart Chamber Music for Winds & Strings
    RCA Living Stereo - Sherherazade
    RCA Living Stereo - Pictures at an Exhibition (Also the MoFi version)
    Mozart Violin Concertos 3 & 4 - Julia Fisher (Pentatone Label)
    Mozart Youth Symphonies 2 & 3 sound the best (but I like all 4)

Almost any SACD Telarc Label
    I also like the Pentatone Classical SACD's