SACD - easiest way to get into it..

museumsteve

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Pioneer 939-A, which I bought mainly cos of DVD Audio support (which has all but gone already IMO) so waht's the best way to get into SACD.? I don;t really want to spend hundreds ona new DVD player so can you get an SACD player (which isn;t a DVD unit aswell)..

DVD-Audio, SACD, Elcaset, Betamax, ITV Digital, 8-Tracks, Laserdisc............honestly Steve, I really wouldn't worry about it :)

Enjoy it while you can, just dont invest in it.

There are cheap players available, the Sony 770 can be had for £199 now was £400 last year as is being replaced by the 780.

Whether its any good is another kettle of fish so i'm thinking of getting the Sony 333 ES one for £800 as there is enough of a catalogue to keep me happy for a while.

Has anybody heard any of the Stones hybrid discs yet? LET IT BLEED and HOT ROCKS are particularly nice, IMO. Have they not landed in the U.K. yet? JSW, the 333ES is a year out of production here in the U.S. It's a very good stereo model, or was here. The player of choice here besides the 777ES at $2000 a pop is the C555ES 5-disc changer which is 5.1 capable and can be bought for $600 to $800. My 555ES rulz! I think the title selection really bites in the U.K. from what I've seen. SACD is gaining momentum over here and if the hybrid discs keep coming, the format may fly. I generally prefer stereo SACD over M/C, but labels other than Sony are beginning to get M/C right. You might want to try and land a M/C capable player. Best wishes!

JSW, that looks like a nice player. I wish they'd sell us chaum-paiiin coloured stuff over here. It's a shame you have to pay so much for it. My 555ES changer which is proably in the ballpark as far as quality only cost me $625 from an internet discounter. When the 555ES first appeared Sony was asking $1700 for it, but when sales lagged they lowered the prices, actually twice, on all three ES models here.

My 555 is a really decent redbook player too, even using the internal DAC's. I bet it's the same for the 333. The U.K. 333 looks like the flagship XA777ES model here except not dreary black! The remote looks identical to what comes with the decks here.

SACD is gaining momentum here. Universal has 50 rock and pop HYBRID titles slated for release. They own Verve now and they have a flock of jazz titles on tap there. The hybrid capable plants are running 24-7 getting the 22 Stones titles out right now. There's a bit of a lull in other releases till that lot is done. The Sony single-layer titles keep coming out steadily but I don't buy many of them. It's sort of pitiful that Sony is, by and largely, putting out such mediocre discs for their own format.

I think you should definitely consider the 333. I'm sure it'll run circles around the Pioneer 747. My 555 will. Best wishes! :)

Originally posted by museumsteve
I have a Pioneer 939-A, which I bought mainly cos of DVD Audio support (which has all but gone already IMO) so waht's the best way to get into SACD.? I don;t really want to spend hundreds ona new DVD player so can you get an SACD player (which isn;t a DVD unit aswell)..

Sony stand alone SACD players are available at excellent prices. I takes about 5 to 7 years for any medium to becomes successful so don't write off DVD-Audio ... it could still happen but my money is on SACD.

I'm really impressed with some of the DVD-A discs I have, but the lack of titles and moreso the lack of mainstream artists is my main concern. With Sony havng a solid camp of artists themselves I would also hedge my bets that SACD is the way to go. I wont get rid of the PIoneer so I'll support DVD-A anyway..
I nearly bught a NVS700 today from Comet for £199 but they only had display model so may pick one up this week from somewhere.
On the same subject are there any high street chains that stock SACD that anyone knows..?

Don't think there is any stockist of SACD. Although, I went down to a local independent record store (Aberdeen) and picked up Muses' double CD Hullabaloo for a tenner (1 CD Multichannel 1CD Hybrid). They told me that they could probably order as required. I would think that an independent dealer would be cheaper than the likes of HMV or Virgin anyway.
By the way, I own the DVPNS700. Bought from DVDplayers.co.uk for the same price as Comet but multiregion. SACD sounds pretty good on it too.

Why not try your local library? The one here in Aberdeen is taking in SACD and DVD-A soon. Certainly a cheaper way to get into SACD.

well I picked up a Sony NS900V today so now I just need an idea of what people have that's recommended on SACD. Anything that stands out from the crowd and perhaps an idea of where to buy SACDs online. I;ve ordered a few from Play but they dont have a big selection..:)

Originally posted by museumsteve
well I picked up a Sony NS900V today so now I just need an idea of what people have that's recommended on SACD. Anything that stands out from the crowd and perhaps an idea of where to buy SACDs online. I;ve ordered a few from Play but they dont have a big selection..:)

I purchase all my SACDs from Amazon in the USA (www.amazon.com) ... If you search for SACD you will get a listing of about 130 but for some strange reason the 22 albums by the Rolling Stones are not listed ... search for Rolling Stones and you will find them (described as Remastered Originals) and they are only $14 each. You can also try www.amazon.de where the price is better than www.amazon.co.uk.
(the Stones are not available from either Amazon UK or Germany)
There are other sources such as www.dv-depot.com (Canada). This site has an SACD by Roxy Music which might be interesting they will have all the Rolling Stones albums in the near future.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi Muesumsteve,
Its your pal from Camberley,would u like me to make your player multi region for you (no charge) please send a private message if u require it.I was very impressed with the shop when I came down the other day to see you.When u run the dvd into the projector u can adjust the gamma to make it lighter if it is too dark for u
All the best I am maximus (big D)

Remove 4 No. M4 screws.

Unclip side retaining plates and hinged access panel.

Carefuly pull out harness assembly and edge connectors.

Watch out for giant Boiiingy spring, that was only fitted in order to scare the hell out of you:eek: :eek: and make re assembly impossible.

and your in.

Re assembly is similar, but after about 4 days of total failure to get the boingy spring back into place. Cry stamp feet and buy new SACD player:confused:

Or did you mean something else..;)

Originally posted by karkus30
Remove 4 No. M4 screws.
Unclip side retaining plates and hinged access panel.
Carefuly pull out harness assembly and edge connectors.
Watch out for giant Boiiingy spring, that was only fitted in order to scare the hell out of you:eek: :eek: and make re assembly impossible.
and your in.
Re assembly is similar, but after about 4 days of total failure to get the boingy spring back into place. Cry stamp feet and buy new SACD player:confused:
Or did you mean something else..;)

I see where you went wrong.
museumsteve was not asking for technical advice regarding maintenance or servicing SACD players.
He is using a 1960's term " into" , in his context he meant how does one become introduced to SACD, as previous posters are aware I believe museumsteve was actually seeking advice regarding which SACD capable player to buy, and which discs convey the potential of DSD.
Please don't feel silly......it was a simple error :)

haha..lmao..:D that's really funny..made my morning.:)
Can't keep away from this place..

I am Maximus..shame you weren't in mate when I called. Don;'t let me stop you modding it for me..;) when ever it suits you. I dont have any intention of using it for DVD for the forseeable future (but you never know)..:)

Originally posted by gringottsdirect

Please don't feel silly......it was a simple error :)

:blush: :eek: silly me, anyone want to buy 3 Giant Boiingy springs.

Originally posted by karkus30
:blush: :eek: silly me, anyone want to buy 3 Giant Boiingy springs.

You could try posting in AV Hardware Classified Adverts thread, better still wait until you have a fourth, then say there are a Russ Andrews Isolation solution, ask for £100.

Originally posted by gringottsdirect

You could try posting in AV Hardware Classified Adverts thread, better still wait until you have a fourth, then say there are a Russ Andrews Isolation solution, ask for £100.

Might have difficulty selling them, I have a feeling most people already have one or two lying around.
Nick Rhodes probably has a resin covered one out of a Lavardin Amp :eek:

No it would'nt be Russ Andrews cos it might work ( meeeoooowww ). What the hell is Torlyte anyway:confused:

Hi old boy,
The good news is that I believe I made the last 900 multi region anyway ,pop a disc in see if it works u might have a nice surprise!!All the best
I am maximus
Next-gen genius

shame I cant find anywhere to buy discs locally..only got 2 discs and they're both Stereo (albeit stunning stereo) but I do want to try some mutli-channel stuff..

Hi Old boy,
Tower records and Hmv both do SACD plus our good fiends at play.com I hope this helps
Next-gen rule
regards I am maximus

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom