1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SACD - easiest way to get into it..

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by museumsteve, Sep 6, 2002.

1. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    I have a Pioneer 939-A, which I bought mainly cos of DVD Audio support (which has all but gone already IMO) so waht's the best way to get into SACD.? I don;t really want to spend hundreds ona new DVD player so can you get an SACD player (which isn;t a DVD unit aswell)..

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    DVD-Audio, SACD, Elcaset, Betamax, ITV Digital, 8-Tracks, Laserdisc............honestly Steve, I really wouldn't worry about it :)

3. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +313
    Enjoy it while you can, just dont invest in it.

There are cheap players available, the Sony 770 can be had for £199 now was £400 last year as is being replaced by the 780.

Whether its any good is another kettle of fish so i'm thinking of getting the Sony 333 ES one for £800 as there is enough of a catalogue to keep me happy for a while.

4. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Has anybody heard any of the Stones hybrid discs yet? LET IT BLEED and HOT ROCKS are particularly nice, IMO. Have they not landed in the U.K. yet? JSW, the 333ES is a year out of production here in the U.S. It's a very good stereo model, or was here. The player of choice here besides the 777ES at $2000 a pop is the C555ES 5-disc changer which is 5.1 capable and can be bought for $600 to $800. My 555ES rulz! I think the title selection really bites in the U.K. from what I've seen. SACD is gaining momentum over here and if the hybrid discs keep coming, the format may fly. I generally prefer stereo SACD over M/C, but labels other than Sony are beginning to get M/C right. You might want to try and land a M/C capable player. Best wishes!

5. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +313
  6. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    JSW, that looks like a nice player. I wish they'd sell us chaum-paiiin coloured stuff over here. It's a shame you have to pay so much for it. My 555ES changer which is proably in the ballpark as far as quality only cost me $625 from an internet discounter. When the 555ES first appeared Sony was asking $1700 for it, but when sales lagged they lowered the prices, actually twice, on all three ES models here.

My 555 is a really decent redbook player too, even using the internal DAC's. I bet it's the same for the 333. The U.K. 333 looks like the flagship XA777ES model here except not dreary black! The remote looks identical to what comes with the decks here.

SACD is gaining momentum here. Universal has 50 rock and pop HYBRID titles slated for release. They own Verve now and they have a flock of jazz titles on tap there. The hybrid capable plants are running 24-7 getting the 22 Stones titles out right now. There's a bit of a lull in other releases till that lot is done. The Sony single-layer titles keep coming out steadily but I don't buy many of them. It's sort of pitiful that Sony is, by and largely, putting out such mediocre discs for their own format.

I think you should definitely consider the 333. I'm sure it'll run circles around the Pioneer 747. My 555 will. Best wishes! :)

7. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony stand alone SACD players are available at excellent prices. I takes about 5 to 7 years for any medium to becomes successful so don't write off DVD-Audio ... it could still happen but my money is on SACD.

8. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    I'm really impressed with some of the DVD-A discs I have, but the lack of titles and moreso the lack of mainstream artists is my main concern. With Sony havng a solid camp of artists themselves I would also hedge my bets that SACD is the way to go. I wont get rid of the PIoneer so I'll support DVD-A anyway..
    I nearly bught a NVS700 today from Comet for £199 but they only had display model so may pick one up this week from somewhere.
    On the same subject are there any high street chains that stock SACD that anyone knows..?

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't think there is any stockist of SACD. Although, I went down to a local independent record store (Aberdeen) and picked up Muses' double CD Hullabaloo for a tenner (1 CD Multichannel 1CD Hybrid). They told me that they could probably order as required. I would think that an independent dealer would be cheaper than the likes of HMV or Virgin anyway.
    By the way, I own the DVPNS700. Bought from DVDplayers.co.uk for the same price as Comet but multiregion. SACD sounds pretty good on it too.

10. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    thanks mate, I'll check 'em out..:)

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not try your local library? The one here in Aberdeen is taking in SACD and DVD-A soon. Certainly a cheaper way to get into SACD.

12. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    well I picked up a Sony NS900V today so now I just need an idea of what people have that's recommended on SACD. Anything that stands out from the crowd and perhaps an idea of where to buy SACDs online. I;ve ordered a few from Play but they dont have a big selection..:)

13. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchase all my SACDs from Amazon in the USA (www.amazon.com) ... If you search for SACD you will get a listing of about 130 but for some strange reason the 22 albums by the Rolling Stones are not listed ... search for Rolling Stones and you will find them (described as Remastered Originals) and they are only $14 each. You can also try www.amazon.de where the price is better than www.amazon.co.uk.
    (the Stones are not available from either Amazon UK or Germany)
    There are other sources such as www.dv-depot.com (Canada). This site has an SACD by Roxy Music which might be interesting they will have all the Rolling Stones albums in the near future.

14. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    thanks mate..I'll take a look..

15. I am maximus

I am maximus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Muesumsteve,
    Its your pal from Camberley,would u like me to make your player multi region for you (no charge) please send a private message if u require it.I was very impressed with the shop when I came down the other day to see you.When u run the dvd into the projector u can adjust the gamma to make it lighter if it is too dark for u
    All the best I am maximus (big D)

16. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Remove 4 No. M4 screws.

Unclip side retaining plates and hinged access panel.

Carefuly pull out harness assembly and edge connectors.

Watch out for giant Boiiingy spring, that was only fitted in order to scare the hell out of you:eek: :eek: and make re assembly impossible.

and your in.

Re assembly is similar, but after about 4 days of total failure to get the boingy spring back into place. Cry stamp feet and buy new SACD player:confused:

Or did you mean something else..;)

17. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I see where you went wrong.
    museumsteve was not asking for technical advice regarding maintenance or servicing SACD players.
    He is using a 1960's term " into" , in his context he meant how does one become introduced to SACD, as previous posters are aware I believe museumsteve was actually seeking advice regarding which SACD capable player to buy, and which discs convey the potential of DSD.
    Please don't feel silly......it was a simple error :)

18. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    haha..lmao..:D that's really funny..made my morning.:)
    Can't keep away from this place..

I am Maximus..shame you weren't in mate when I called. Don;'t let me stop you modding it for me..;) when ever it suits you. I dont have any intention of using it for DVD for the forseeable future (but you never know)..:)

19. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261

:blush: :eek: silly me, anyone want to buy 3 Giant Boiingy springs.

20. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You could try posting in AV Hardware Classified Adverts thread, better still wait until you have a fourth, then say there are a Russ Andrews Isolation solution, ask for £100.

21. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Might have difficulty selling them, I have a feeling most people already have one or two lying around.
    Nick Rhodes probably has a resin covered one out of a Lavardin Amp :eek:

No it would'nt be Russ Andrews cos it might work ( meeeoooowww ). What the hell is Torlyte anyway:confused:

22. I am maximus

I am maximus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi old boy,
    The good news is that I believe I made the last 900 multi region anyway ,pop a disc in see if it works u might have a nice surprise!!All the best
    I am maximus
    Next-gen genius

23. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    haha..you little luv, it is indeed modded already..:)
    Thanks mate..

24. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    shame I cant find anywhere to buy discs locally..only got 2 discs and they're both Stereo (albeit stunning stereo) but I do want to try some mutli-channel stuff..

25. I am maximus

I am maximus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Old boy,
    Tower records and Hmv both do SACD plus our good fiends at play.com I hope this helps
    Next-gen rule
    regards I am maximus

26. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    well I:ve spent around £160 this weekend picking up SACDs from various sources (including the AV Expo) and have to say IMO it really isn't a patch on DVD-Audio. Sure some of the stereo discs are very nice but are they in the same league as say XRCD (or whatever it is)
    Disappointed would be an understatement..thank the lord I didn;t get rid of my Pioneer is all I can say. Maybe some better stuff will follow on SACD..

27. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am still waiting for delivery of my DVD-Audio player so I have not had a chance to compare SACD with DVD-A and may not be in a position to do so for a few weeks.

However I must agree that I have not been over impressed by any of the CBS/SONY SACD releases that I have purchased to date. I am still awaiting delivery of the Rolling Stones SACDs ...

What is your Amplifier/Speaker combination

28. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    To me it seems that it is very easy for Sony to release anything they like that they think will appeal like Thriller for example. I've found it very hard to find any quality multi-channel SACDs which is disappointing..

Amp is Denon AVCA1SE (upgraded) and speakers area little bit of a mish mash (still working on it). Roksan Ojan 3 fronts, Ruark Talismann II rear/sides, Mission 77DS rear centres, Yamaha NSE105's rear surround effects (not always used), Mission 78c centre and Rel Q150E sub.

29. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I must admit that I cannot understand why Sony has only made Thriller available as a Stereo SACD. I made the mistake of ordering a number of Sony SACDs whithout checking to ensure that they were multi-channel and was a bit surprised to discover that they were Stereo only.

30. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Some very good sounding M/C SACD's IMO:

Alison Krauss + Union Station's NEW FAVORITE Rounder Records SACD 11661-0495-6

Vivino Brothers' BLUES BAND DMP SACD-11

Jorma Kaukonen's BLUE COUNTRY HEART Columbia CS 86394

Monty Alexander's MONTY MEETS SLY AND ROBBIE Telarc SACD-63494

Spyro Gyra's IN MODERN TIMES Heads Up Surround HUSA 9061

Junior Wells' COME ON IN THIS HOUSE Telarc SACD-63395

I realize some, if not all, of these are hard to come by in the U.K. All of them are hybrids except BLUE COUNTRY HEART, the Sony brand title. Don't get me started on Sony's lack of hybrid suppourt! Personally, I don't care if SACD's are stereo or M/C. I listen to the M/C occasionally but when I fill up my 5 disc changer with a mixed bag, I always use the stereo output.

I've pretty much quit buying Sony titles because I figur they'll be re-released as hybrids eventually. Some of their 5.1 mixes have been pretty lame too. They seem to be getting better. BLUE COUNTRY HEART is one of the best sounding SACD's to date, wheather you listen M/C or stereo. It's DSD recorded and mastered. There is no silly panning in the 5.1 mix. The sides are very ambient, which is my preference. I hate the gimmicky panning in the M/C verson of Herbie Hancock's HEAD HUNTERS, ugh! Did they let a stoned 15 year old do the mixing?:D

It's a shame that the other labels are generally doing SACD better than Sony...