sacd/dvd audio question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by golden phoenix, Nov 8, 2005.

1. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,051
    Hello, All

i have a couple of quickies questions,

1) If I connect a denon 1920 to 2106 amp via optical out. will this provide me with all my DD/DTS and sacd/dvd audio sound in one go, as i know i cant get sacd through co-ax cable.

2)If i have to use the 5.1 out source, can the dvd player just send the information to the amp and let the amp do the decoding of sacd/dvd-a, rather than the dvd player as that would be better.

Thanks for any help :clap:

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    You have to use the 5.1 outs into the pre-ins of the amp. The only other ways of doing it are not included as part of your amp or player. Think of coax and optical as being the same thing, only done in different ways. Hence the limitation of one applies to the other...

3. ozdvduser

ozdvduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    At The Track or Melbourne Victoria Australia
    Ratings:
    +3
    As above

4. kinne

kinne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own exactly the same gear, Denon DVD-1920 & AVR-2106. It took me a while to get both devices connected correctly. Actually, it was easier than I thought. :thumbsup:
    I used an optical cable to link the audio signal from the DVD to the receiver. This works for DVD-V, DVD-A and CD. Of course it doesn't work with SACD because of copyright protection issues. I have to listen to SACD in CD mode.
    I've read several times that the analog 5.1 output of the DVD player should be connected to the pre input of the receiver. But in my case, this generates a signal that is way too loud: even at -80db, the DVD player is YELLING at me.
    So I'm still wondering why this happens. Anybody?

Kinne

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    Kinne, you wont be getting hi resolution DVD-Audio through optical or coaxial, all thats happening is the DVD-Audio disc is sending its Dolby Digital layer or DTS layer track information instead..........you need either iLink or Denonlink or Firewire to be able to send DVD-A or SACD signals to the amp in one cable.......(not sure if all those do SACD either, Denonlink3 does)

to connect the DVD player to the amp for DVD-Audio you need 3 pairs of stereo RCA cables, plug them in to the 6 channel outputs on the DVD player, then plug the other ends in to the amplifiers 6 channel External inputs (possibly called pre-in's....)..making sure they are matched, so Front Left output goes to Front Left Input etc....you then put your DVD-A disc or SACD disc in the DVD player, hit the ext input button on the amps remote (this then turns the amp into a fancy power amplifier) and adjust amp volume as usual, depending on the DVD players output level you might find DVD-A is louder at a given volume setting than DVD video, or you might not, it certainly wont be a massive difference tho, if it is then somethings wrong...

6. kinne

kinne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I listened to my Zappa Halloween concert on DVD-A yesterday, and it was digital and multi-channel. This means that the optical DVD-A connection is working fine for DVD-A. I don't know what else to expect. This confirms what I read somewhere: the Denon-link is required to get a digital signal between DVD & receiver for SACD (because of Sony's protection), but the digital signal will be transmitted to the receiver on case on DVD-A.
    But...

...the real question that I would like to address to other Denon owners (AVR-2106 & DVD-1920) is: how do you connect the DVD-player to the receiver in order to listen to SACDs in mutli-channel mode???

PS: Denon replied that when connecting the DVD player to the receiver by means of the receiver's 5.1 pre-inputs, the volume problem that I describe occures.

Kinne

7. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Which is incorrect. You are listening to a Dolby Digital or DTS version of your DVD Audio disk. Although it might sound quite impressive, it is still not as good as it could be. Can I suggest you read the manual regarding full resolution DVD-A and SACD playback. It will tell you precisely what you need to know. If you can't figure it out, get a mate who is already using a system to show you.

8. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    as the bloke above said......and i said before that...lol

most DVD-A discs contain DVD-A quality, Dolby Digital 5.1 or 2.0 quality and/or DTS quality........the optical connection will only give you Dolby Digital and/or DTS, it cannot give you DVD-A because your amp cannot decode the DVD-A signal, simple as that. When using an optical or coaxial connection, your amp is basically reducing your DVD player to just a transport.......it reads the discs, takes the raw info and passes it to the amp to decode......your amp does not have that ability with DVD-A, you would need a 3805 or up in regards to Denon, and it would still have to be over the Denonlink or possibly firewire.

9. kinne

kinne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >>> To Cable Monkey
    Of course you can suggest that I read the manual... and you are so right! An experienced mate, if I had one, would have saved me (and this forum's readers) some time. If a question (even a stupid one) is asked once, chances are that appear at least once again. So here's a short answer to my own question/error.

On the AVR-2106, there are some "pre-output" connections. These are labelled very clearly ("front, surround, subwoofer",...) I did not pay more attention and connected the DVD player 5.1 output to the receiver's pre-outputs. Hence the excessive volume even at -80db.
    On the receiver, there are also EXT IN inputs labelled "FR, FL, SR, SL" etc. This actually stands for "front left, front right",... So that's where I should have connected the 5.1 DVD's outputs i nthe first place.

The manual also explains the DVD-A & SACD. So I understand from your post that there's more to DVD-A than what I'll get with the optical connections (DTS/Dolby). OK, more reading is needed, I'll do that and I'll try to find my way out with all this. Heavy lurning curve for a guy who has been listening gently to stereo during all his life ;-)

Thanks for your patience and the quality of your replies !!

Kinne

10. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,051
    Kinne,

unfortunately i am still waitung for my 2106 and 1920. otherwise we could compare notes on sound quality etc. but since you have yours already. what are your thoughts on movies and music quality. what is the detail like, etc

my original question re: sacd/dvda has well and truly been answered !!!!.

11. kinne

kinne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    brownie,

Let me be very honest: my impressions and opinions won't certainly be very usefull since I'm new to multichannel audio and since I was not even able to connect the DVD-player to the receiver (shame). :suicide:
    I really have some difficulties with all the possibilities of the receiver and all these different formats that I don't understand (yet). There are infos in the manual and I should continue to read and gather more. But to be honnest, I feel a bit flooded with all this multichannel stuff right now.

But here are a few comments anyway...

I won't comment the image quality of the DVD player since I still own a very old an tiny TV that I can only hook up with a single SCART connection.
    What I really don't like on the player is the display: it's a shame to have such a little cheesy display on a device in that price category. OK, maybe the added value is put in other parts of the player, but since the display is the main interface between the machine and me (besides the remote control), I don't understand why a company like Denon dares to let this DVD player go with such a ridiculous display.

Regarding the sound, since I also bought new speakers, it's difficult to tell you exactly what part of the sound improvement comes from the DVD player and what part comes from my new Axiom speakers (QS4 & M3ti).
    I received the speakers first and there was a very big improvement to the sound compared to my old Technics SB 95-CS speakers. The old speakers sounded "muddy", the Axiom speakers are much more transparent. Everything is now clearer, the details are there, the sound really fills the room. It's a very nice experience. I can now sit in the sofa and listen to a whole CD without getting tired after a few minutes. That was not the case with the old setup.

Regarding the receiver, I can only say that it's not easy for me to operate it and to understand all its features. I still have to struggle with the sound formats, the remote control and I still have some connection issues (how connect the VCR, how to connect the TV in order to get the sound played through the receiver, how to connect the xBox and all this without having to switch cables). But I'll keep on trying and reading and I'll certainly find the answers to these questions.

OK, this was certainly not very helpful, but at least it was a honest reply :hiya:
    Kinne