1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SACD/DVD-Audio cables

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by daveb975, Dec 18, 2004.

1. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Could anyone recommend a good cable set to use for SACD and DVD-Audio?

Is it best just to use 3 good sets of interconnects - they will be used between a Denon DVD2200 and Sony STRDB1080 receiver.

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Yes. Buy the best phonos you can afford for Analogue sound from your DVD player to your amp. You can use a digital cable for DVD-Audio like a coaxial or optical (many DVD-A's will work through the digital these days), but for analogue you need good phonos.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    These cables should be about as good as you can get without spending silly money. At only £65 for 1m for the 6 phonos required I think this is very good value for money.

DVD-A can not be transfered via digital coax or optical. All DVD-A disks carry either a Dolby Digital or DTS soundtrack that can be sent via these cables, but they are not the full resolution DVD-A. SACD disks do not have a DD/DTS soundtrack so can only be played via the 6 analogue leads.
    The only exceptions to the above is iLink on some of the Pioneer & Denon DVDs & receivers.

Mark.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    As MarkE19 has said,the only way you will get DVD-A out in digital form for offboard decoding is via things like Pioneer's i-Link,and Denon's equivalent,and both are proprietary,encrypted links,intended for use with their own matching players and receivers.

Other than that,you have to use analogue connections,and rely on the quality of the player's DAC/decoder and output stages.

AFAIK,dCS also have an interface capable of handling DSD and DVD-A,as do Meridian for DVD-A.
    Hopefully the whole mess will sort itself out in the next few years,and leave us with a high resolution audio system with enough discs.

5. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Thanks for the advice. I do not want to spend too much as I only have handful of DVD-As and SACDs, but £65 seems fine.