SACD, DVD-Audio & Blu Ray-Audio Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good god...

If anyone likes Buena Vista Social Club music, then I can definately recommend my latest SACD by Poncho Sanchez "Congo Blue". It has a wonderful slightly-unusual multi-channel mix on it, in that it places the listener much closer to the players/band than is often the case. The clarity is really quite something with wonderful separation of instruments. Naturally, if anyone can find the Buena Vista Social Club DVD-A, I would not hesitate to recommend that either.

The two Tudor SACDs that I recently acquired are both very good. I had been looking for ages for a hi-res (and preferably MCH-option) disc of two pieces of music, those being "Trumpet Voluntary" aka "The Prince of Denmark's March" and "Trumpet Tune". Both of these pieces appear on the Ariosa & Brillante album, so I'm very pleased, and played on both trumpet and organ. I still find it odd that there are multiple versions of so many of the "popular" classics on hi-res discs, but quite a lot of more obscure music appears to be ignored.

I managed to listen to my Grateful Dead "American Beauty" DVD-A last night in its entirety from beginning to end in order. Unfortunately, that sort of experience has become increasingly rare over the past few years. In fact, despite the fact that my music collection continues to grow, I have found it ever harder to actively listen to music. There's a story behind that though! When I think back to the 70s and 80s, when I would put on an LP and listen to it from start to finish - and I'd do that sort of thing several times a week. How life changes!

Mind you, gone seem to be the days when you'd go to work and discuss an album or piece of music that you'd just bought or listened to with a colleague. Nobody seems to do that anymore!

If anyone would like a link or more info on any of my latest discs, just let me know.

B.B.King and Eric Clapton - "Riding with the King" - DVD-A

Last month Sky Arts Freeview had Eric Clapton's show from the Staples Centre. Picked up Riding with the King and Pilgrim audio fidelity SACDs on the broadcast alone

Slowhand SACD is available for a reasonable price. Passed on 461 Ocean Boulevard though as did not feel it as much 😛 (I listen on YouTube music before buying on disc)

Wouldn't it be amazing if companies like Spotify added multichannel audio to their library.
I have a few dvd-a and SACD stuff by queen and pink Floyd, and a few others, but can't really play them as I don't have dvd player set up.

Wouldn't it be better if multichannel audio was an option, I'd pay more for it if it was.
I know there is Atmos, but that's very limited content, plus my player is DD, DTS connected via optical cable so Atmos tracks don't work.
I might need to resort to ripping my cd/dvd into a HDD and playing it that way.

Wouldn't it be amazing if companies like Spotify added multichannel audio to their library.
I have a few dvd-a and SACD stuff by queen and pink Floyd, and a few others, but can't really play them as I don't have dvd player set up.

Wouldn't it be better if multichannel audio was an option, I'd pay more for it if it was.
I know there is Atmos, but that's very limited content, plus my player is DD, DTS connected via optical cable so Atmos tracks don't work.
I might need to resort to ripping my cd/dvd into a HDD and playing it that way.

I'd really recommend getting a universal disc player that can play DVD-A/SACDs, so that the few discs you have of those formats can come alive.

Last month Sky Arts Freeview had Eric Clapton's show from the Staples Centre. Picked up Riding with the King and Pilgrim audio fidelity SACDs on the broadcast alone

Slowhand SACD is available for a reasonable price. Passed on 461 Ocean Boulevard though as did not feel it as much 😛 (I listen on YouTube music before buying on disc)

Very sensible to listen to albums before buying them! I don't tend to do that, but perhaps I should. My method of simply buying music on the strength of it being simply hi-res (plus the odd review/recommendation) has thankfully served me well so far - although I do have a few relative duffers in my collection. It's strange to think that 40+ years ago, I'd go into a record shop and simply spend £5 - £6 on an LP merely on the strength of the cover artwork! The likes of Tangerine Dream's "Ricochet" and "Stratosfear" spring to mind, but also some of the beautiful Roger Dean Yes album covers. I sort-of miss those days.

I listened the other night to my Moody Blues "Days of Future Passed" SACD in MCH-audio in its entirety. What an easy album to listen to like that - and it comes across so well on SACD. I like the Eric Clapton "Slowhand" album, but have not yet gone for "461 Ocean Boulevard" - perhaps I'll take your recommendation and give it a miss.

I listened the other night to my Moody Blues "Days of Future Passed" SACD in MCH-audio in its entirety. What an easy album to listen to like that - and it comes across so well on SACD.
All the Moody Blue SACDs have a far better 5.1 mix than the stereo SACD layer. Apart from In Search of the Lost Chord which is a stereo only release although those 5.1 tracks are actually just 4.1. The best stereo presentation for me is on Question of Balance. All however are somewhat superior to any of the red book releases.

All the Moody Blue SACDs have a far better 5.1 mix than the stereo SACD layer. Apart from In Search of the Lost Chord which is a stereo only release although those 5.1 tracks are actually just 4.1. The best stereo presentation for me is on Question of Balance. All however are somewhat superior to any of the red book releases.

I've not bothered listening to any of my Moody Blues SACDs in stereo - with the obvious exception of In Search of the Lost Chord, which I think is another fantastic easy-listenable album. One thing I do with my 2-channel-only albums (CDs included), is listen to them through all speakers of my 5.1 system, using the "Music" setting of my Arcam AVR350. This provides something like 75% output from the front speakers, with the remaining output on the rears. Something akin to the classical/orchestral DVD-A/SACDs - where an agressive multi-channel audio mix is not present, but a subtle ambience instead. According to my user manual, the "Music" setting provides the most subtle processing, and I've grown to prefer it to listening purely through front speakes only.

I listened to most of the Yes album Close to the Edge last night in MCH-audio. This is an album I haven't listened to for quite a while, and it was great to give it an outing.

I've not bothered listening to any of my Moody Blues SACDs in stereo - with the obvious exception of In Search of the Lost Chord, which I think is another fantastic easy-listenable album. One thing I do with my 2-channel-only albums (CDs included), is listen to them through all speakers of my 5.1 system, using the "Music" setting of my Arcam AVR350. This provides something like 75% output from the front speakers, with the remaining output on the rears. Something akin to the classical/orchestral DVD-A/SACDs - where an agressive multi-channel audio mix is not present, but a subtle ambience instead. According to my user manual, the "Music" setting provides the most subtle processing, and I've grown to prefer it to listening purely through front speakes only.

I listened to most of the Yes album Close to the Edge last night in MCH-audio. This is an album I haven't listened to for quite a while, and it was great to give it an outing.
My 5.1 and stereo listening are basically two separate systems. I don't really rate my Denon X6500 for stereo music certainly but for 5.1 it is pretty good. With that in mind my stereo is committed to my Rega Elicit-R and a different player. I would say though that my music listening must be 80% headphones which is obviously limited to a stereo presentation. Again that is on a separate system with another different player.

My SACD collection, which pales into insignificance compared to yours, is predominately stereo and listening on quality headphones (Oppo PM1) is a delight.

You mention Close to the Edge and I have just ordered that, along with The Yes Album, on Japanese UHQ-CD both being the Steven Wilson remixes. I have Fragile on SHM-CD. It's amazing as to how the Japanese can squeeze so much more out of the media.

You can get 5.1 surround sound headphones....

You can get 5.1 surround sound headphones....
I'm afraid I wouldn't even contemplate them. I've no need and they seem more of a gimmick than credible audiophile listening and aimed at gamers. AV amps will downmix to stereo once the headphone jack is inserted and I use a stereo SACD player direct into a headphone amp which is completely separate from my UD player and AV amp.

My 5.1 and stereo listening are basically two separate systems. I don't really rate my Denon X6500 for stereo music certainly but for 5.1 it is pretty good. With that in mind my stereo is committed to my Rega Elicit-R and a different player. I would say though that my music listening must be 80% headphones which is obviously limited to a stereo presentation. Again that is on a separate system with another different player.

My SACD collection, which pales into insignificance compared to yours, is predominately stereo and listening on quality headphones (Oppo PM1) is a delight.

You mention Close to the Edge and I have just ordered that, along with The Yes Album, on Japanese UHQ-CD both being the Steven Wilson remixes. I have Fragile on SHM-CD. It's amazing as to how the Japanese can squeeze so much more out of the media.

I find it intersting that you have two separate systems for 2-channel and multi-channel audio. Also that you don't rate your Denon AVR for stereo. Whether I like it or not, I reckon I'll soon be forced into replacing my Arcam AVR350, and I'm more than a little apprehensive. I've only ever owned one other AV receiver before the Arcam, which was a Yamaha RXV800. I was very pleased with that, but the Arcam just opened up the whole listening experience to a different level - together with my DV137 player. I need to do a bit of research - and almost certainly a demo - but I seem to be leaning towards a Denon receiver to replace my AVR350. I just don't want to step backwards with my music listening experiences.

It never ceases to amaze me though, how different hi-fi kit is perceived and experienced by different listeners. Why shouldn't it be that way though? Why should we all hear things in exactly the same way? I have always loved Quad electrostatic speakers, and I've become aware that they have a niche following. Some though are sceptical of them - and I'm aware of what some believe they are lacking in, namely bass. That was something I never experienced, being on occasion to get the stylus arm of the turntable to jump when playing particular music on LPs. That's at least something that I never had with a CD/optical disc player.

I said before in a post quite a way back, that I rarely nowadays attempt side-by-side audio comparisons. Interestingly, I was somehow reminded of the time when I went along to my local Sevenoaks Sound & Vision dealer to demo a set of B&W speakers that I was interested in buying. At the beginning, I was tempted to take along my Arcam DV137 to the demo, and connect it to the Arcam receiver that they had. In the end, due to lack of time and the drive to disconnect the player from the rest of the system, I didn't do that. Instead, I just collected a small set of SACDs and DVD-As to take along. This was about 6 years ago, and the dealer had the latest Arcam universal disc player (BD-capable) connected to an Arcam AV receiver - and the set of speakers I was interested in. I merrily went through my set of discs, and was amazed at how they sounded, except when I put in a DVD-A, and realised that it sounded significantly worse than at home. Why, I asked myself, until it dawned on me that Arcam had by then dropped DVD-A support from their players, so the UDP had simply detected the DD layer - instead of the MLP PCM layer. It was that noticeable.

I find it intersting that you have two separate systems for 2-channel and multi-channel audio.
I have a Pioneer LX500 running into my Denon X6500 with the fronts being driven by the Rega Elicit-R for multi channel via HT by-pass. Then I currently have the Marantz sa8005 direct into the Rega for stereo SACD and CD.

The headphone system is the other side of the room and consists of a Denon DCD 2500 NE, Lehmann Linear headphone amp and Oppo PM1s or Shure 1540s when the boss is watching soaps on the TV and are a god send when that dancing thing is on in the autumn. It's interesting comparing the three players playing stereo through the headphone amp, three different signatures and performance through their analogue circuits.

Bit of overkill I suppose but hey ho, no pockets in shrouds.

I reckon I'll soon be forced into replacing my Arcam AVR350, and I'm more than a little apprehensive. I've only ever owned one other AV receiver before the Arcam, which was a Yamaha RXV800. I was very pleased with that, but the Arcam just opened up the whole listening experience to a different level - together with my DV137 player. I need to do a bit of research - and almost certainly a demo - but I seem to be leaning towards a Denon receiver to replace my AVR350.

If space and budget allow, you really should look into a separate pre-amp/processor and power amp. You would certainly gain improvements and should the itch come again, you have no need to spend money on the power, only the pre-amp/processor.

If space and budget allow, you really should look into a separate pre-amp/processor and power amp. You would certainly gain improvements and should the itch come again, you have no need to spend money on the power, only the pre-amp/processor.

Thanks, I'll have a look at what's about. I haven't really got my head around that sort of arrangement, so I'll have to do a bit of rersearch.

For fans of The Pink Floyd, finally some news about the looooong awaited Animals 5.1 remix.
However, considering RW's petty sniping in his news on his web site, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Gilmour doesn't now refuse to ever allow it to see the daylight.

Here are the latest items bought over the past few weeks, and now added to the main list.

Various Artists - "The Crickets and their Buddies" - DVD-A
Delibes / Ballet Suites - Chandos SACD
Shostakovich / Symphony No.7 "Leningrad" - Naxos DVD-A

===========================================================

10cc - “Deceptive Bends” SACD
10cc - “The Original Soundtrack” SACD
The Alan Parsons Project - “Tales of Mystery and Imagination - Edgar Allan Poe” BD-A
The Alan Parsons Project - “I Robot” DVD-A
The Alan Parsons Project - “The Turn of a Friendly Card” DVD-A
The Alan Parsons Project - “Eye in the Sky” DVD-A
The Alan Parsons Project - “Ammonia Avenue” BD-A
The Animals - "Retrospective" SACD
Aphrodite’s Child - “666” SACD
Atomic Rooster – “The Best of Atomic Rooster” DVD-A
The Beach Boys - “Surfin' Safari” SACD
The Beach Boys - “Surfin' USA” SACD
The Beach Boys - “Surfer Girl” SACD
The Beach Boys - “Little Deuce Coupe” SACD
The Beach Boys - “Shut Down - Vol. 2” SACD
The Beach Boys - “All Summer Long” SACD
The Beach Boys - “The Beach Boys Today!” SACD
The Beach Boys - “Summer Days (and Summer Nights!)” SACD
The Beach Boys - “Pet Sounds” DVD-A
The Beatles - “Love” DVD-A
Acker Bilk - “Stranger on the Shore” SACD
Black Sabbath – “Paranoid” SACD
David Bowie - “Ziggy Stardust” SACD
David Bowie - “Scary Monsters” SACD
Bread - “The Best of Bread” SACD
Les Brown and his band of Renown - “Session #55” DVD-A
Buena Vista Social Club - “Buena Vista Social Club” DVD-A
The Dave Brubeck Quartet - “Time Out” SACD
Camel - "The Snow Goose" - SACD
Can – “Monster Movie” - SACD
Can – “Ege Bamyasi” - SACD
Can - “Future Days” SACD
Can - “Tago Mago” SACD
Can - “Can” - SACD
The Carpenters - “Singles 1969 – 1981” SACD
Eric Clapton - “Slowhand” - SACD
Putula Clark - “Kiss me Goodbye” SACD
Sam Cooke - “Portrait of a Legend 1951 – 1964” SACD
Elvis Costello - “North” SACD
Cream - “Disraeli Gears” SACD
Deep Purple - "Concerto for Group and Orchestra" Live at the Royal Albert Hall DVD-A
Deep Purple - “Machine Head” DVD-A
Dire Straits - “Dire Straits" SACD
Dire Straits - “Communique" SACD
Dire Straits - “Making Movies" SACD
Dire Straits - “Love Over Gold" SACD
Dire Straits - “Brothers in Arms” SACD
Derek and the Dominos - “Layla” SACD
Donovan - “Fairytale” DVD-A
The Doors – Perception CD/DVD-A box Set comprising:
“The Doors” - DVD-A
“Strange Days” - DVD-A
“Waiting for the Sun” - DVD-A
“The Soft Parade” - DVD-A
“Morrison Hotel” - DVD-A
“L.A. Woman” - DVD-A
Nick Drake “A Treasury” – SACD
Eagles "Hotel California" - SACD
Elton John – “Elton John” SACD
Elton John – “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road” DVD-A
Elvis Presley – “30 #1 Hits” DVD-A
Emerson Lake & Palmer “Emerson Lake & Palmer “ DVD-A
Emerson Lake & Palmer “Tarkus” DVD-A
Emerson Lake & Palmer “Trilogy” DVD-A
Emerson Lake & Palmer – “Brain Salad Surgery” DVD-A Rhino version
Bryan Ferry – “Boys and Girls” SACD
Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong – “Autumn in New York” SACD
Fleetwood Mac - “Rumours” DVD-A
The Foundations - “The Very Best of The Foundations” DVD-A
Genesis - “Nursery Cryme” SACD
Gentle Giant - "Three Piece Suite" BD-A
Gentle Giant - "Octopus" - BD-A
Getz/Gilberto - "Getz/Gilberto" SACD
Astrud Gilberto - "Astrud Gilberto Now" DVD-A
Grateful Dead - “American Beauty" DVD-A
The Heptones - "Cool Rasta" DVD-A
Herman's Hermits "Retrospective" Hybrid SACD
Billy Joel - "Greatest Hits Voulme I & Volume II" SACD
B.B.King and Eric Clapton - "Riding with the King" - DVD-A
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King - DVD-A
King Crimson – “In the Wake of Poseidon” - DVD-A
King Crimson – “Lizard” - DVD-A
Kitaro – “Kojiki” SACD
Kitaro – “Best of Silk Road DVD-A
Kitaro – “Daylight, Moonlight – Live in Yakushiji” 2 x SACD
Kitaro – “Sacred Journey of Ku-Kai” SACD
Mark Knopfler – “Shangri-La” SACD
Kraftwerk – “Minimum: Maximum Live” 2 x SACD
Led Zeppelin - "How The West Was Won" DVD-A
John Lennon - “Imagine” SACD
John Lennon & Yoko Ono - “Double Fantasy” SACD
Little Richard – “Little Richard/Here’s Little Richard” SACD
Makino Jun “Still Point” SACD
Henry / Monica Mancini - “Ultimate Mancini” SACD
Herbie Mann “Eastern European Roots” SACD
Herbie Mann “Caminho de Casa” SACD
Bob Marley and the Wailers - "Soul Rebels" DVD-A
Bob Marley and the Wailers - "African Herbsman" DVD-A
Marmalade – “The Very Best of The Marmalade” DVD-A
Metallica – “The Black Album” DVD-A
The Moody Blues - “Days of Future Passed” - SACD
The Moody Blues - “In Search of the Lost Chord” - SACD
The Moody Blues - “On the Threshold of a Dream” - SACD
The Moody Blues - “To Our Children’s Children’s Children” - SACD
The Moody Blues - “A Question of Balance” - SACD
The Moody Blues - “Every Good Boy Deserves Favour” - SACD
The Moody Blues - “Seventh Sojourn” - SACD
Ennio Morricone - “The Very Best of Ennio Morricone” SACD
Nena - "Nena Feat." DVD-A
The Nice - “Elegy” SACD
The Nice – “Five Bridges” SACD
Mike Oldfield - “Tubular Bells” SACD
Mike Oldfield – “Tubular Bells 2003” DVD-A
Pink Floyd – “The Dark Side of the Moon” SACD
Pink Floyd - “The Dark Side of the Moon” The Alan Parsons 4.1 Mix DVD-A
Pink Floyd – “Wish You Were Here” SACD
Queen - “Greatest Hits” SACD
Queen - “Greatest Hits II” SACD
Queen - “A Night at the Opera” DVD-A
Gerry Rafferty – “Can I Have my Money Back?” DVD-A
Robert Reed - “ Sanctuary” - DVD-A
Robert Reed - “ Sanctuary II” - DVD-A
The Rolling Stones - “12 x 5” SACD
The Rolling Stones - “December’s Children (and Everybody’s)” SACD
The Rolling Stones – “Singles Collection – The London Years” 3 x SACD
The Rolling Stones – “Hot Rocks 1964 – 1971” 2 x SACD
The Rolling Stones – “Sympathy for the Devil Remix” SACD
Roxy Music – “Avalon” SACD
Poncho Sanchez - "Congo Blue" SACD
Santana - “Caravanserai” SACD
The Searchers – “The Very Best of The Searchers” DVD-A
Sting – “Brand New Day” DVD-A
Sting – “Sacred Love” DVD-A
Super Furry Animals "Love Kraft" SACD
Supertramp - "Breakfast in America" SACD
Tangerine Dream - “Ricochet” SACD
Tangerine Dream - “Stratosfear” SACD
Tangerine Dream - “Phaedra” SACD
Tangerine Dream - “Rubycon” SACD
Tiny Island – “Tiny Island” SACD
Tomita – “The Planets 2003” DVD-A
Tomita - “The Planets” Ultimate Edition SACD
Tomita “Claire de Lune” Ultimate Edition SACD
Tomita - “Pictures at an Exhibition” Ultimate Edition - SACD
Tomita - “Planet Zero” SACD
Tomita - “Space Fantasy” SACD
Tomita - “Okhotsk Fantasy” SACD
Tomita - “Firebird” SACD
Tomita - “Daphne et Chloe” SACD
The Tremeloes - “The Very Best of The Tremeloes” DVD-A
Peder af Ugglas - “Autumn Shuffle” SACD
Rick Wakeman - “The Six Wives of Henry VIII” - DVD-A
Rick Wakeman - “The Myths and Legends of King Arthur” - DVD-A
Roger Waters - "Amused to Death" SACD
Jeff Wayne - "The War of the Worlds" 2 x SACD
The Who - “The Singles” - SACD
Steven Wilson - "To the Bone" - BD-A
Wishbone Ash - “Argus” SACD
Yellow Magic Orchestra - "Yellow Magic Orchestra" SACD
YES - “The Yes Album” - DVD-A
YES - “Fragile” - DVD-A
YES - “Close to the Edge” DVD-A
YES - “Relayer” DVD-A
YES - “Tales from Topographic Oceans" DVD-A
Various Artists - “80s Hits” - SACD
Various Artists - “80s Love” - SACD
Various Artists - "Brazilian Romance" DVD-A
Various Artists – “British are Coming” (1960s pop) DVD-A
Various Artists - "The Crickets and their Buddies" - DVD-A
Various Artists – “The Greatest Songs of the Fifties” (1950s pop) 2 x SACD
Various Artists – “Rock ‘n’ Roll Memories” (1950s pop) 2 x SACD
Various Artists - Inside the Music “New Age” - DVD-A
Various Artists - Inside the Music “Surf’s Up” - DVD-A
Various Artists - “Legends – Get it On” - SACD
Various Artists - “Man of the World – Reflections on Peter Green” – SACD
Various Artists - “Welcome to the Top of the World” Sampler – SACD
Various Artists – “Regae Pulse - The Heartbeat of Jamaica" DVD-A

Leroy Anderson / Fiddle Faddle - Silverline DVD-A
Bach / Brandenburg Concertos - Silverline DVD-A
Bach / Goldberg Variations - Delos 2 x SACD
Bach / Organ Spectacular - Teldec DVD-A
Bartok / The Miraculous Mandarin - Naxos DVD-A
Beethoven / Symphonies 1 & 2 – Teldec DVD-A
Beethoven / Symphony 3 – Teldec DVD-A
Beethoven / Symphonies 4 & 5 – Teldec DVD-A
Beethoven / Symphony 6 – Teldec DVD-A
Beethoven / Symphonies 7 & 8 – Teldec DVD-A
Beethoven / Symphony No. 9 – Teldec DVD-A
Beethoven / Symphony No. 3 & Corolian Overture – Silverline DVD-A
Beethoven / Symphony No. 6 & Fidelio Overture – Silverline DVD-A
Berlioz / Requiem - Silverline DVD-A
Brahms / Symphony No. 1, Academic Festival Overture & Tragic Overture - Naxos DVD-A
Brahms / Symphonies No. 2 & 3 - Silverline DVD-A
Brahms / Symphony No. 4, Tragic Overture, Academic Overture - Silverline DVD-A
Charpentier / Messe de Minuit - Naxos DVD-A
Classical Christmas - Silverline DVD-A
Debussy - “Children’s Corner” Atma SACD
Delibes / Ballet Suites - Chandos SACD
Dvořak / Slavonic Dances - Philips SACD
Dvořak / Symphony No. 9 & The Water Goblin - Teldec DVD-A
Goldmark / "Rustic Wedding Symphony" & "Symphony No.2" - BIS SACD
Grieg / Peer Gynt Suites etc. - BIS SACD
Grieg / Piano Concerto & Symphonic Dances - Naxos DVD-A
Grieg / Classical Masters - Silverline DVD-A
Grofé / Grand Canyon Suite etc. - Naxos DVD-A
Händel / Water Music & Music for the Royal Fireworks - Naxos DVD-A
Händel / Messiah - Silverline DVD-A
Holst / The Planets & The Mystic Trumpeter - Naxos DVD-A
Korngold / "Symphony, Op.40" & "Theme and Variations" & "Straussiana" - Chandos SACD
Mahler / Symphony No. 1 “Titan” - Silverline DVD-A
Mahler / Symphony No. 2 - Silverline DVD-A
Mahler / Symphony No. 3 - Silverline DVD-A
Mahler / Symphony No. 4 - Silverline DVD-A
Mendelssohn / Symphony No. 5 & Symphony No. 1 - Arts DVD-A
Mendelssohn / Hebrides Overture & Violin Concerto – Linn SACD
Mendelssohn / Classical Masters - Silverline DVD-A
Mozart / Le Nozze di Figaro - Naxos DVD-A
Mozart / Don Giovanni - Naxos DVD-A
Mozart / Flute Concertos - Naxos DVD-A
Mozart / Clarinet Concerto & Clarinet Quintet - PentaTone SACD
Mozart / Horn Concertos - PentaTone SACD
Mozart / Piano Concertos No. 20 in D Minor & 27 in B Flat Major - BIS SACD
Mussorgsky – Stokowski / Pictures at an Exhibition etc. – Naxos DVD-A
Pärt / Berliner Messe - Naxos DVD-A
Pärt / Spiegel im Spiegel - Brilliant Classics SACD
Prokofiev / Alexander Nevsky & Pushkiniana - Naxos DVD-A
Prokofiev / Peter and the Wolf & Lt. Kije Suite - Silverline DVD-A
Puccini / Tosca - PentaTone 2 x SACD
Rachmaninov / Piano Concertos No. 2 & 3 - Naxos DVD-A
Rachmaninov / All-Night Vigil - Harmonia mundi SACD
Shostakovich / Symphonies No. 5 & No. 6 - Arts DVD-AShostakovich / Symphony No.7 "Leningrad" - Naxos DVD-A
Shostakovich / Symphony No.11 - The Year 1905 - Chandos SACD
Shostakovich / Jazz Suites No.1 & No.2 etc. - Naxos DVD-A
Sibelius / Symphonies No. 1 & 4 – Silverline DVD-A
Sibelius / Symphonies No. 2 & 3 – Silverline DVD-A
Sibelius / Symphonies No. 5, 6 & 7 – Silverline DVD-A
Sibelius & Sinding / Violin Concerto & Violin Concerto No. 1 - Naxos DVD-A
Smetana / Ma vlast - LSO SACD
J.Strauss / Johann Strauss in Berlin - Teldec DVD-A
J.Strauss / Waltzes - PentaTone SACD
R.Strauss / Alpine Symphony - PentaTone SACD
von Suppé / “Overtures and Marches” SACD
Tallis / Spem in Alium" - Naxos DVD-A
Tchaikovsky / Piano Concertos Nos. 1 & 3 - Naxos DVD-A
Tchaikovsky / 1812 etc. - Telarc DVD-A
Tchaikovsky / The Nutcracker - Silverline DVD-A
Tchaikovsky / Romeo and Juliet etc. - Silverline DVD-A
Tchaikovsky / Swan Lake - Naxos DVD-A
Tchaikovsky / Symphony No. 4 - Silverline DVD-A
Telemann - “Barbaric Beauty - 18th Century Dance Transcriptions” - SACD
Vivaldi / Dixit Dominus - Naxos DVD-A
Vivaldi / The Four Seasons - Naxos DVD-A
Vivaldi / Flute Concerti, Op. 10 - Naxos DVD-A
Wagner / The Ring - Chandos SACD
Wagner / Overtures and Preludes - Arts DVD-A
Williams / Symphony No. 6 - Silverline DVD-A
Williams / A Sea Symphony - Naxos DVD-A
Williams / Orchestral Favourites - Naxos DVD-A
Scarlatti & Beethoven / Woodwind Quintets - AIX DVD-A
Various Composers / “Budapest Live” Ivan Fischer - Philips SACD
Chinese National Symphony Orchestra / “Soliloquy on Cold Mountain Temple” - Channel of China SACD
Stravinsky & Ravel / Firebird Suite & Bolero - AIX DVD-A
Offenbach & Rossini-Respighi / Gaite Parisienne & La boutique fantasque - RCA SACD
Various Composers / “The Coronation of King George II” - Hyperion 2 x SACD
Liszt & Dvořak / Les Preludes & Nature’s Realm etc. - Water Lily Acoustics SACD
Dukas, Ravel & Koechlin / The Sorcerer's Apprentice, Mother Goose, Jungle Book - PentaTone SACD
Various Composers / Italian Trumpet Concertos - Tudor SACD
Various Composers / Ariosa & Brillante - Tudor SACDVarious Composers /Tine Thing Helseth - Simax SACD
Various Composers / “Russian Nights” Cincinnati Pops Orchestra – Telarc SACD
Various Composers / “The Ultimate Last Night of the Proms” Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - Membran SACD
Various Composers / CS Sampler Vol.2, containing CD 'Stay in Tune With PentaTone - PentaTone SACD
Christmas Choral Spectacular / Breiner - Naxos DVD-A
Classical Christmas - Silverline DVD-

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Does anyone have the Beatles 1 CD/BD or CD/DVD-V album - and any thoughts on it?

I had the CD/DVD-V and sold it to then get the CD/BD version, so I guess you could say that I like it. I'm not a big fan of studio based surround music generally, despite having a number of BDs, SACDs and DVD-A discs, however, the videos are quite enjoyable to watch and for some reason, surround quite suits Beatles music ( I also have Love in surround). Sound quality is decent and the videos, despite their vintage look ok to my eyes. Very nice packaging on it too.

I have the vinyl, CD/DVD and BD. It's The Beatles !!! Go buy one :) DTS on the DVD or DTSHD on the blu. Neither detracts from the enjoyment.

I had the CD/DVD-V and sold it to then get the CD/BD version, so I guess you could say that I like it. I'm not a big fan of studio based surround music generally, despite having a number of BDs, SACDs and DVD-A discs, however, the videos are quite enjoyable to watch and for some reason, surround quite suits Beatles music ( I also have Love in surround). Sound quality is decent and the videos, despite their vintage look ok to my eyes. Very nice packaging on it too.

Thanks Steve356. Yes, if you've bought the album twice, that does at least appear to suggest that you like it. That's a positive, and something that I can relate to, having bought certain albums now on several formats, ie LP, CD and post 2005, DVD-A or SACD - and BD-A.

I was for a long time put-off buying the Beatles Love album on DVD-A (+CD). I suppose I resisted buying it, as I'm not normally fond of collaged/mash-up (can't quite think of the right word) music made up from various albums etc. I am very fond of studio-based and produced surround music, however, and consider the Love album to be a masterpiece. Perhaps because George and Giles Martin produced it, perhaps? Who knows?!

I've started looking around at the Beatles 1 album, and finding it quite hard to get simple information. Even on Wikipedia, it's quite tiring sifting through all the information. I have noticed that the Martins had their hands in producing this album also, so that all seems promising.

I guess you can appreciate the audio difference between say the dts on the DVD-V and the BD? Are the tracks on the BD presented as purely audio (ie only audio) and separate video tracks additionally? Or are all the BD tracks mixed audio combined with video? I hope the question makes sense. Is the packaging (appears to possibly be digi-pack) typical BD case size or DVD-A Super Jewelbox size?

I have the vinyl, CD/DVD and BD. It's The Beatles !!! Go buy one :) DTS on the DVD or DTSHD on the blu. Neither detracts from the enjoyment.

Thanks sebbykin. Wow - you really went for it, buying so many formats of the same music!

Thanks for the feedback though. I guess you must also have the Love album?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom