1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sacd, Dts, 5.1

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by mobily, Oct 8, 2004.

1. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello all,

I have a player with SACD capability that also plays dvd's with DD and DTS capability. However all of the different formats are beginning to confuse me a little. I love my music and was wondering whether my player would play DTS cd's? Also would it play DVD-A?

The player is the sony dav-s550

Also are DTS and SACD worth the extra money in peoples opinions?

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated,

James :)

2. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi James,

Your SONY system will most probably recognise a DVD Audio disc, however it will only be able to play back the standard dolby digital soundtrack encoded on the disc (it maybe stereo only or 5.1 - depends on the disc)
    It will not be able to recognise or play back the high resolution encoded information contained within the disc. Sony are most definitely in the SACD camp only.
    DTS discs should play back on your system fine (although, if i am wrong here, someone will jump in and correct me)
    As far as being worth the money, only you can decide. I have a Pioneer DVD player the handles both formats, although i have yet to purchase a single SACD disc. Experience so far with DVD - Audio is good, with The Flaming Lips 'Yoshimi' album being somewhat of a revelation!
    I have bought REM - Best Of and REM -Automatic... with the latter still sounding better, to me at least, in high resolution stereo.
    Hope this helps...

3. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    a dts cd will play in ANY cd/dvd player - to be able to hear the sound you will need an amplifier with a dts decoder (this may also be built into the dvd player).

Here is my limited experience:

Sting & the Police dts cd - sounds like DPL to me (ie just buy the cd)
    Beyonce and Groove Armada SACD - Ditto
    Alanis Morrisette Under Rug swept DVD Audio - Ditto
    Beck Sea Change DVD Audio - Sounds Great!

The 1st DVD Audio I bought (Beck) was played on a regular dvd Video player and the DD sound blew me away - The MLP sound you get from dvd Audio was only a marginal improvement on that.

4. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Mobily

I have a few DTS encoded CDs including Macca's Band on the Run (great mix) and Venus & Mars ("unusual" mix) as well as Lyle Lovett's Joshua Judges Ruth which is fantastic.

I have quite a lot of SACDs and DVD-As, the following I can strongly recommend :
    SACD
    All the Stones ABKCO (Decca) albums
    All the Bob Dylan albums
    Beck - Sea Change
    Bjork - Medulla
    Steely Dan - Gaucho
    Peter Gabriel - So
    Pink Floyd - DSOTM
    George Harrison - Live In Japan
    Eleanor McEvoy - Yola
    Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
    The Who - Tommy

DVD-A
    Jeff Trott - Dig Up The Astroturf
    Frank Zappa - Halloween
    Jonathan Richman - Best of
    Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
    Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
    Robert Cray Band - Time Will Tell
    Yes - Fragile
    Doors - LA Woman
    Billy Cobham - Spectrum
    Neil Young - Harvest
    Joni Mitchell - Both Sides Now
    Todd Rundgren - Liars

That should keep you going for a while :) I prefer SACD but there's others who prefer DVD-A

5. mik

mik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you buy 1 sacd make it Blonde on Blonde, the greatest album ever just improved 10 fold

6. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Mik
    I agree it's a wonderful re-master even the CD layer. If you think they done a good job with BOB you should hear Slow Train Coming. The original LP and CD were pretty flat in my opinion but the new SACD/CD is fantastic. :thumbsup:

This is very under-rated album (me included) probably due to its religeous overtones, but the new re-master has changed my thoughts on it big time. Check it out you wont be disappointed :smashin:

7. mik

mik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have all Dylan remasters except love and theft and yep they are all top drawer. I always liked slow train anyway give a couple of tracks. Also Bringing it Back Home is a wonderful album, She Belongs To Me and Love Minus zero are worth the admission alone.

8. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    I have Thriller on SACD, its a 2-channel only disc but i have to say its sounds superb, especially 'Billie Jean' and 'Wanna Be Starting Something'. And after reading the previous posts i will soon be ordering Blonde On Blonde and REM on DVD-A to see what DVD-A sounds like.