1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SACD connections query

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by PaulBoy, Jan 28, 2003.

1. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Sorry if I am being thick ... :confused:
    If I understand correctly to get 5.1 surround sound from an SACD player the player must be connected to the AV amp with six phono leads ? So like DVD-A the connections cannot be made "digitally" using a single coaxial or optical cable ?
    The reason I ask is that I have a DVD-A player in my setup & use it for DVD / DVD-A / CD - There are numerous titles on SACD I would like (especially if the rumour about Dark Side OTM is true - SACD in March '03)
    I was thinking about adding an SACD player but if the above is true I am already using my amps 5.1 inputs for the DVD-A decoding so presumably cant connect another component ?
    My amp is a Denon 3801 btw
    Have I missed something or have I any other options ?
    I think I'd get a right kicking if I suggested an upgrade to a "hybrid" SACD / DVD-A player :eek:
    Paul ;)

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Yes you need 5.1 analogue input to use SACD.

Your only options if you also have a DVD-A player is replace the amp with one that has 2 5.1 inputs (rare), replace the DVD player with a "universal" player that does DVD/SACD/DVD-A or use some form of switch box.

It may be possible to use a fully wired SCART switch - i.e. the £20 from Argos - and use SCART - 6 phono's for each input and the output ... this should theoretically work but I've no idea of what quality you'll get - you could possibly get some high quality audio cable wired to a scart by someone like Lektropacks if you wanted to try this.

Victoria.

3. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    use six 'Y' connectors (the flexible ones) as you wont be using both players at the same time this would work, as an aside the sony va555es has two sets of inputs 5.1 and 7.1 for just this situation.

4. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the Sony STR-VA555ES has two sets of inputs. (5.1 and 7.1).

However, I've got a Pioneer 656 so both SACD and DVD-A from this so only using one set of inputs. (damn, still haven't used all my inputs/outputs ;))

So, Paul, you say to the missus, "I either need a new amp., the Sony STR-VA555ES would suit at around £750 or alternatively I could get a universal player like the Pioneer 656A at around £300-400".

She will beat you up either way but easier to justify the universal DVD player ;)

Good luck and let us know how you get on...

Cheers

Ian

5. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    stranger - that's a good idea :D
    ian - no way pedro :(
    Thanks everyone ... Paul