Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

SACD-CD Player Compatibility (Linn)

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by rnjones, Apr 5, 2003.

1. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I just bought Dark Side of the Moon 30th aniversary SACD from Tescos, £9.97.

However it have tried to play it on my 8 year old Linn Mimik CD player and it wont recognise the disk :( .

My Sony 735 DVD Player will read the disk, but it sounds so inferior to the Linn its not worth the effort.

Has anyone else had problems playing SACD on a normal CD machine?

Rog

2. keiths

keiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've tried my copy on my Arcam 170 transport which is a few years older thank your Mimik and it plays without problem. Have you any other hybrid SACDs to try on your Linn?

3. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Keith, no I havent bought any other discs yet. I have emailed Linn to ask them for their thoughts.

Cheers
    Rog

4. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Rog, I haven't had a player turn it's nose up on a hybrid yet. My Pioneer Elite stable platter player loves them and so does my mom's 80's Magnavox antigue. Tosiba DVD players have a rep for difficulty or failure with hybrids. I've yet to hit a snag and I have about 100+ hybrids. My mom's portable played one to satisfy my curiosity. My DVD players like them. You said your player is 8 years old, maybe it's getting a bit out of spec in some respect? Maybe you start plotting to get a bitchin' SACD player. I heard DARK SIDE OF THE MOON in 5.1 for the first time last night. Hot dam, I have a renewed intrest in M/C! Best wishes!;)

5. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rachael, thanks for the info. I have been experimenting some of saturday afternoon. The DSOTM SACD works in my car (3 year old Audi), on my 6 year old Sony CD Walkman.

Now I have two discs with CD Rom tracks on them. Apollo 440 (sorry) and David Gray (its hers not mine). Neither of these play on the Linn. I have made (personal) CD-Rs of both Discs and these play quite happily.

So I reckon the Linn doesnt like some part of the root data on those CD's and the SACD.

What I am hoping is that Linn will reply and I can get a firmware upgrade to fix this issue.

As for the SACD player. I dont need much of an excuse. Looking around at the Universal players on the market. Seems the Pioneer 757 is viewed as being the best. However I will wait for the new Linn and Denon before deciding.

Cheers Rog