1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SACD/CD hybrid

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by holdo, Jun 17, 2003.

1. holdo

holdo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased two of the recent Stones remasters

Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed

both of them would not play on any of my CD players/CD roms/DVD players

I took them back to HMV where they played ok but they kindly replaced them

Beggars Banquet now played but not Let It Bleed

Went and got a replacement again

This time plays on CD Walkman and DVD but not on my main CD player. You can skip to track 2, etc but can only play track 1 by rewinding back from 2.

Anybody had any problems playing these hybrid disks in a normal CD player or are they not as compatible as the packaging (which is s**t by the way) makes out

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    My Panasonic DVD-XV10 DVD player won't play any of my SACDs including all 22 Rolling Stones titles.
    They play fine in my CD players.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    There's quite a lot of talk in the HiFi Press about this at present,as a number of players seem to have problems with the dual layer discs.
    For what it's worth my copy of Dark Side of the Moon plays fine in both my Linn CD player and my UVEM HCPC which uses a Lite-on DVD drive.
    Hopefully the manufacturers will eventually get their collective heads around the idea that this sort of thing kills new formats.

4. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've found that both my SACDs play in all my CD players, but they often start with a hurrendous, screetching digital noise. If you stop the player, and then press play again, it works fine. And that's on more than one player, including my SACD-compatible DVD player, made by Sony!

It's put me off buying any more, to be honest. (The discs are Groove Armada: (g)Lovebox, and Tubular Bells. Both do it, both the same sound.)

5. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Bought almost all the Stones SACDs and they play fine in my Marantz 6000 KI Signature. Sound incredible too, compared to earlier CD versions. Makes me wonder what the SACD layer sounds like... Not quite got the urge to jump into multichannel audio yet though.

BTW, they also play fine on my bedroom system CD player Marantz 52MkIISE, a player that I bought over ten years ago.