1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SACD and DVD Audio and Frequency responses of partnering equipment

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Edgeyboy, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Hi

I am thinking of buying an SACD player to slot into my hifi system.

I'll just be listening to 2 channels.

Question: One of SACD's selling features is that information way above 20khz is there with the supposed benefits to the sound. I know we can't hear above 20khz, but the information is supposed to benefit the soud quality anyway.

If the partnering Pre Amp's frequency response is only 20hz-20khz, what happens to the info above 20khz? Does it dissapear ? Can the pre amp be overloaded by this information ?
    I believe some SONY players have a filter to quell the over 20khz output for this reason

Any input greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Tom.

2. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi Tom,

My understanding is that SACD marketing types sometimes quote frequency responses up to 100kHz (!) but in reality the signal to noise ratio above about 25 kHz is terrible, because of all the noise shaping which pushes high levels of noise into the ultrasonic region. If unattenuated this can have sufficient energy to heat up tweeters at high volume levels and so moderately steep filters are usually included in the players which removes the output above 40 - 50 kHz.

For this reason normal "good quality" hi fi amplifiers which are say less than 0.5 dB down at 20 kHz and therefore only a dB or two down at 40 kHz will be perfectly satisfactory in my opinion.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

3. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    So, John when are you going to sell me one of your A75+ amps that are no longer for sale? :) im sure you have a few in stock :devil:

4. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi Crispy - we ran out of A75 Plus amplifiers long ago. You may find some dealers still clearing them out at advantageous prices but there will be no late release of "surplus" stock on to the market. So, if you want one, buy now as I suspect there are very few left!

John Dawson (Arcam)