SACD and digital output

vinylman

Can anyone help? I've bought a wonderful DAC today (Moon 300D). I've connected my sacd player to it using a coaxial cable. However, the pure direct function is now preventing any audio signal from being output. It works when pure direct is switched to off.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Is your player an Arcam by chance? I only ask as with my Arcam DV137 I'm pretty sure it'll only play SACD/DVD-Audio when connected using phono cables? Just a guess, I'm not the best person to answer your question.

norliss

Can anyone help? I've bought a wonderful DAC today (Moon 300D). I've connected my sacd player to it using a coaxial cable. However, the pure direct function is now preventing any audio signal from being output. It works when pure direct is switched to off.
I assume you're only trying to play CD not SACD?

overkill

Distinguished Member
If you are playing a CD there should be no problem. If you try to play SACD/DVD-A it won't let you. You can only output hi-res through analogue outputs.

norliss

If you are playing a CD there should be no problem. If you try to play SACD/DVD-A it won't let you. You can only output hi-res through analogue outputs.
Which was the point I was alluding to, but didn't want to say lest I was thought of as being patronising :)

Last edited:

overkill

Distinguished Member
Which was the point I was alluding to, but didn't want to say lest I was thought of as being patronising :)
I think it's in the title of the thread. Vinylman isn't bothered about advice as long as it's constructive. :)

Hell of a DAC to get as well!

norliss

I think it's in the title of the thread. Vinylman isn't bothered about advice as long as it's constructive. :)

Hell of a DAC to get as well!
Oh, I wasn't knocking you for it: just glad you were more direct than I was!

vinylman

norliss said:
Oh, I wasn't knocking you for it: just glad you were more direct than I was!
Thanks Norliss and Overkill. I thought it was the case that you could only play SACD through analogue outputs but was just looking for confirmation. Grateful to you both. Really pleased with the DAC. I'm putting my Arcam CD17 through it too. It's made a huge improvement! By the way, do either of you know the difference between bitstream and PCM? I've connected my denon blu ray player to the DAC using a coaxial lead and I'm not sure which of the two settings to apply. I've set it to bitstream as I think that is equivalent to raw data i.e. the blu ray player is not doing any pre work and it is up to the DAC to do the business...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom