1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SACD and bass

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by paiger, Oct 23, 2002.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a big fan of SACD, I am underwhelmed by the few stereo disks I have. I find the bass very thin. I know my amp and player (SOny 1080 and DVPNS700) are known to sound thin and I have only Ruark Epilogue R speakers as mains but there must be more than this.

What is happening? On multi channel it's all good but stereo is a bit rubbish really. Is my player lacking in bass management? Do I need a sub? Would a sub make any difference, given that sound is only output over the two front channels?

Any comments welcome. My multi-channel recordings sound great.

S

2. westy1507

westy1507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried running the sound from the analogue stereo pair into the standard cd input on the amp, rather than from the 6 channel input? I run my stereo SACD's this way, (from the analogue stereo feed), and the power in the sound is astonishing.

I have to say i've noticed that running the sound via the 6 channel out for 2 channel is indeed paper thin and very quiet. Design flaw perhaps????

Hope this helps

Westy

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, I had considered that but not yet bothered to crawl behind and fiddle about with it. I guess the multi channel inputs are basically straight to the power amp section whereas maybe the CD in has some bass management on it. I'll give it a go.

Cheers

Steve

4. Beddie

Beddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have the same DVD/SACD player, and I can vouch for the fact that the best output to use for stereo is the standard 2 channel sockets. The "front" outputs sound terrible for 2 channel, as though something is missing.

Get round the back and swap the cables, it will make all the difference.

5. Pathfinder

Pathfinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, if I understand you properly, I should do the following:

[Sony DVP-NS900V to Denon AVR-3801]

6 channel phonos for multi channel material [already connected] using EXT IN on the receiver

Electrical coax for digital sound from DVD's [already connected]

Stereo phonos between NS900 and receiver's analogue DVD input [both pairs of sockets unused at present] for SACD stereo material.

P>

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Try the stereo outputs into the 5.1 input. Sounds dafts I know but is generally the best bet IMHO.

7. Pathfinder

Pathfinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That would mean lots of lead swapping if you wanted to listen to SACD multi channel discs and stereo ones, would it not?

8. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Assuming SACD is similar to DVD Audio connect the stereo outs from the dvd player to the cd/sacd stereo inputs on the amp.
    This especially goes for sony 1070 / 1080 as thats how they where designed to be used.

With DVD Audio you don't have a choice if you choose the stereo playback from he discs menu you won't here anything unless you have chosen 2 channel anaogue output from the players menu.

9. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Problem with that is that I have my multi-channel ins assigned to the CD/SACD channel. I think I'll have to assign it to Video 2 and call that 'Multi' or something and then run seperate phonos to the CD/SACD input. I listen to CD's on the 'DVD' channel on 'AFD' with no EQ as the DACS in the 1080 are superior to those in the DVPNS700.

S

10. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I dont have my multi assigned. If i watch a dvd then I use bitstream, if I listen to DVD Audio i just press the multi button on my Sony clie ;)