SACD 2910 and 4306

urte

Novice Member
I really have a problem, I have the amp and DVD connected with HDMI and RCA. So I can see movies and hear SACD, still I have to change the setup to 2 ch every time i play a SACD. The danish distributor send me a free coax cabel the this setup change shouldnt be nessesary. Now my problem is I cant get any sound out when I play SACD, what am I doing wrong

1. The amp is set up to digital in assign :COAX 1 for DVD
2. DVD is set up to 2ch for HDMI

What do I need to do or change, im going crazy!!!

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
coax cant send SACD

HDMI (if you have the correct edition, if you are using a 2910 its possible you do not) can

Denonlink can (altho you dont have DL on the 2910)

Firewire can (not sure if you have firewire on the 2910...)

the easiest way to do it is to get 3 pairs of RCA stereo cables and connect the 2910's 6 channel analogue output to the external inputs on the 4306 and use things that way :)

urte

Novice Member
Knyght_byte said:
coax cant send SACD

HDMI (if you have the correct edition, if you are using a 2910 its possible you do not) can

Denonlink can (altho you dont have DL on the 2910)

Firewire can (not sure if you have firewire on the 2910...)

the easiest way to do it is to get 3 pairs of RCA stereo cables and connect the 2910's 6 channel analogue output to the external inputs on the 4306 and use things that way :)
Thanks but as i wrote "I have the amp and DVD connected with HDMI and RCA."
I found the solution late last night, if I want to hear SACD I have to choose CD on the 4306,in the setup as COAX1. When I hear DVD the sound goes via 6 RCA.

Ultra2man

urte said:
Thanks but as i wrote "I have the amp and DVD connected with HDMI and RCA."
I found the solution late last night, if I want to hear SACD I have to choose CD on the 4306,in the setup as COAX1. When I hear DVD the sound goes via 6 RCA.
I think you will find that you have your connections assigned incorectly.
What you should have is
DVD player connected by digital coax to DVD input on the amp. Assign this input on the amp as COAX 1. Use this setting when playing DVD's
6 x RCA cables connected from DVD player to EXT inputs on the amp. You can assign this external input to any setting on the amp (in my case it is V-AUX) but if you want to assign it to CD then you should be able to do that. Then use this setting when you want to play SACD's. You can also play DVD's via this setting (as you are doing now). Depending on which component (amp or dvd player) has the best DAC's will make a difference to the sound. See which you prefer.
As Knight Byte says your HDMI connection on the player may not support SACD.

On my DVD player I have to go into it's setup menu where there is an option to tell it how to play SACD's. I have multi-channel zone selected. I am not sure if your Denon player has a similar setting.
Also bear in mind that not all SACD's are multi channel. Quite a few are just stereo.
Hope this helps you.

urte

Novice Member
Ultra2man said:
I think you will find that you have your connections assigned incorectly.
What you should have is
DVD player connected by digital coax to DVD input on the amp. Assign this input on the amp as COAX 1. Use this setting when playing DVD's
6 x RCA cables connected from DVD player to EXT inputs on the amp. You can assign this external input to any setting on the amp (in my case it is V-AUX) but if you want to assign it to CD then you should be able to do that. Then use this setting when you want to play SACD's. You can also play DVD's via this setting (as you are doing now). Depending on which component (amp or dvd player) has the best DAC's will make a difference to the sound. See which you prefer.
As Knight Byte says your HDMI connection on the player may not support SACD.

On my DVD player I have to go into it's setup menu where there is an option to tell it how to play SACD's. I have multi-channel zone selected. I am not sure if your Denon player has a similar setting.
Also bear in mind that not all SACD's are multi channel. Quite a few are just stereo.
Hope this helps you.
its a software bug in 2910,make it impossible to play multichannel on SACD(via RCA) and play DVD(Via HDMI multi) without changing the setup everytime.