sa wa5 subwoofer

Iffy25

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I've got a Sony sa wa5 home theatre speaker set and now is the time to start thinking of an upgrade to an 8K AV reveiver.

What I wanted to know is it possible to use the subwoofer from this Sony sa wa5 as part of the set up.

So, to use it as a seperate Subwoofer or an additional one.

An advice would be welcomed.

Thanks

If it's active, it has its own amp, yes.
If it's passive, so needs external amplifier, no.

Buy a new sub

If it's active, it has its own amp, yes.
If it's passive, so needs external amplifier, no.

Buy a new sub
Thanks for the response.
It is active, so does have it's own amplifier.
Problem is there is no wiring or connection for the subwoofer as such. All the other speakers and hdmi connections come out from this.

Buying a new Sub is possibly the next best option.

Thanks again

If it doesn't have subwoofer input, you're stuck.

Buy a new subwoofer, or ten

Looks like your sub is part of an all in one system, what's strange even for an all in one system however is that the subwoofer amp plate houses all the electronics including preamp and processor duties. I don't think it'll be possible to integrate it properly into a new system and to be honest even if it were possible somehow I don't think you'd want to.

If you want to upgrade its best to flog the whole system on Ebay or whatever and start afresh with separates.

Thanks for the reply, separates it is then.
AV receiver 8k preferably and speaker set.

Possibly the wrong thread to ask on, but if my TV doesn't have earc and the AV receiver does, will it defy the purpose of either one.
I've got the Samsung q950r, just waiting for an update for the earc that doesn't look like will be coming.

Looks like your sub is part of an all in one system, what's strange even for an all in one system however is that the subwoofer amp plate houses all the electronics including preamp and processor duties. I don't think it'll be possible to integrate it properly into a new system and to be honest even if it were possible somehow I don't think you'd want to.

If you want to upgrade its best to flog the whole system on Ebay or whatever and start afresh with separates.
Thank you👍

From WhatHifi (don't judge, they get it right sometimes!;) ):

"As is the case with ARC, you’ll need two devices with compatible HDMI eARC sockets for the protocol to work."

Personally I don't see it as an issue at all since:

"The main benefit of eARC is a big boost in bandwidth and speed. This allows you to send higher-quality audio from your TV to a soundbar or AV receiver."

I don't see in what scenario you'd need to send higher quality audio from TV to AVR. Now if you reverse the process and connect everthing to your AVR first and then output the picture to the TV, job done.

From WhatHifi (don't judge, they get it right sometimes!;) ):

"As is the case with ARC, you’ll need two devices with compatible HDMI eARC sockets for the protocol to work."

Personally I don't see it as an issue at all since:

"The main benefit of eARC is a big boost in bandwidth and speed. This allows you to send higher-quality audio from your TV to a soundbar or AV receiver."

I don't see in what scenario you'd need to send higher quality audio from TV to AVR. Now if you reverse the process and connect everthing to your AVR first and then output the picture to the TV, job done.
👍 Once I've got everything together I'll give it a shot.

You don't want to use that sub even if you could.

It would be like taking your Ferrari for a new exhaust to some cheap chain like Kwik Fit and the guy telling you he could bodge one from a Ford Focus to fit it.

It's not good enough for a separates system and all it will do is constrict it.

You don't want to use that sub even if you could.

It would be like taking your Ferrari for a new exhaust to some cheap chain like Kwik Fit and the guy telling you he could bodge one from a Ford Focus to fit it.

It's not good enough for a separates system and all it will do is constrict it.
😂 Very well said, absolutely love it.👍

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom