SA tax return question for car allowance.....

tonycommander

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi - I've had a car allowance for years, but never really driven any distances and had a very nice letter of the tax man 8 years or so ago telling me not to bother filling in my SA any more - so i havent...

Now, having a new job i have driven 16,338 miles last year - for which i have been paid 25p per mile.

I know about the 10,000 mile cap for the HMRC allowance of 45p per mile, which then drops to 25p.

What i cannot figure out is the correct number to put on my SA form...

could anyone who fills one in regularly help please?

this is a car owned by me ( via a car allowance ), no fuel cards - just a simple milage claim every time i go anywhere on business.

I'll have a look at mine from last years over the weekend and get back to you

im pretty sure i put in 2000.. which is 10000 miles at 20p...

gives me a refund of 800 quid..

I've not checked online yet, but don't you simply enter the total business miles and it calculates the tax refund based on 10,000 miles x (45p-25p) reaching the £2000.00 @ 40% tax = £800

Plus, the balance over 10k miles which you get paid zero for so, I think you are right!

(Minus my 10% fee)

lol.. i'd hoped it was that easy, but theres a box - with no description of what to put in.. certainly not a box for 'mileage' anyway..

well, i;ll do that way now i guess.

Ps... cheques in the post.. ;-)

I've covered a similar mileage but only got paid 15p/mile by the company....... :clap:

You can claim mileage allowance relief back on HMRC form P87 if you don't want to get into the whole SA thing.

There is a cap though, I think it's £2500 worth of expenses which will trigger a requirement for a SA.

Sent from my iPhone using AVForums

You can claim mileage allowance relief back on HMRC form P87 if you don't want to get into the whole SA thing.

There is a cap though, I think it's £2500 worth of expenses which will trigger a requirement for a SA.

Sent from my iPhone using AVForums

Is this just for Self-Employed though?

I presume company employed individuals can still use a P87 irrespective of the amount of the claim?

Cheers
R4z

Ahhh, I have a P87 to fill in for my first year of private car use for company business. Total difference in HMRC allowance and what my company have contributed is circa £2600, as I am only claiming the tax on this (£400-500) will I be ok or as it's over £2500 as an amount will I have to SA?

Thanks

Ahhh, I have a P87 to fill in for my first year of private car use for company business. Total difference in HMRC allowance and what my company have contributed is circa £2600, as I am only claiming the tax on this (£400-500) will I be ok or as it's over £2500 as an amount will I have to SA?

Thanks

As it's only £100 over, you might be ok. You know what HMRC can be like with their rules, though....

Now... having filled in the form - I'm owed uust under a couple of grand.. which is allways a nice surprise!

But, the thorny question is - when could i expect the cash back?

soon, or months away?

Cheers to anyone who answers!

T..

Now... having filled in the form - I'm owed uust under a couple of grand.. which is allways a nice surprise!

But, the thorny question is - when could i expect the cash back?

soon, or months away?

Cheers to anyone who answers!

T..

Remember you only receive the tax back on your mileage allowance so, if your final mileage allowance figure was £2000 it will be either 20% or 40% of this depending on your tax bracket.

Still better than a kick in the teeth though I suppose.

R4z

Remember you only receive the tax back on your mileage allowance so, if your final mileage allowance figure was £2000 it will be either 20% or 40% of this depending on your tax bracket.

Still better than a kick in the teeth though I suppose.

R4z

Ahh sorry - i'm also a contracted home worker with no allocated office space and they cocked up my child allowance stoppages too so all of those combined with my additional mileage means i'm actually due back to me just under a couple of grand..

so i'm quite keen to see it back with me!

HMRC have always been pretty good to me time wise. When I've completed my SA in the past and been due a refund (not often I'll grant you!), I've provided my bank details as part of the SA and the money has been credited within a week/10 days

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom