SA CD player

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by tallguy101, Jul 28, 2018.

1. tallguy101

tallguy101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    OK, having now got the amp and speakers, I need to consider the SA CD player for when budget allows. The unit used for the demo today was the Yamaha CDS2100 which seemed great. How does this compare to the 8000 or 6000 series Marantz or any other product I should consider? Thanks in advance.

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,381
    Even at it's highest price of £1199 the Marantz SA8005 was well worth the money. I was lucky and managed to pick one up brand new for £540, silly money. It is superb for SACD and ever since owning it I've slowly built up a small collection of SACD titles. The detail that this player gets out of redbooks let alone SACD is terrific. I'm hearing things on discs that I've had for years that were well buried on other players.

A bib bonus with the 8005 is it's superb headphone section. At just 30mV at 32ohms it's not the most powerful but it just excels with quality 'phones. With digital inputs it can also act as a DAC hub. The only drawback is that you will be stuck to stereo playback, which I prefer anyway, but it will allow for downmixing from the 5.1 layer.

Redbook playback is also better and more detailed than that which you get with the Marantz CD6006, which I also own. Unless finding one used there are very little new units still available.

Marantz SA8005 SACD Player

3. droidlike

droidlike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    the a-s2100 has balanced input
    the cd-s2100 has balanced outpt and same remote as above
    the marantz sa-8005 has NOT balanced output and has a different remote ;)

for me, in my 16square meters room
    I do own an a-s1100(so no balanced input) paired with the amazing sounding MA Gold200

at first I used the yamaha wxc-50 as a pre/net_streamer
    paired in multiroom with Musicast with my other system in the house
    an mcr-n670 that has a cdp too

later on, thanks to the oustanding advices from @Basquelle
    I added a marantz nd-8006
    (beware, ehm...no SACD, and no balanced outpt unfortunally, but I don't need them at all)
    driven by coax out of the wxc-50
    and the sound came alive in a different level, wow !

the marantz nd-8006 has a really top notch dac compared to wxc-50,
    maybe a better, and I mean allot better, analog output stage too
    and I heard the difference istantly ,
    maybe thanks also to the ma gold200 that are exeptionally revealing
    on every change in my system's chain that I apply.

the cdp in the nd-8006 sounds also way better than the one in the yamaha mcr-n670

then I added a valve amp
    an air tight acoustic masterpiece am-201h, always indicated in his/her posts by @Basquelle
    and it blown away completely the yamaha a-s1100,
    which is now used only as a phono pre-amp
    for my at-lp1240 tt
    with an at440mlb mm-cart
    and an at-f7 mc-cart

but the am-201h
    is in a completely different price list level
    compared to the a-s1100 that cost me 1000 euro only

the air tight am-201h
    has a price list of almost 5000 euro (5 thousand euro :eek:)
    and in my system
    it is driven by the variable output of the marantz nd-8006
    volume level on nd8006 is at 72 with max of 100(it's impossible to stay in room at 100!)
    and when at volume 72 my android spl meter on cell phone
    shows more than 100/110db @ 2 meters
    so it is very very loud !

and the am-201h is rated at only tiny 22watts per channel :eek:
    but the MA Gold200 are rated at about 90db/1watt/1meter for each single floorstand
    so they are very very easy to drive even with a nimble but sublime valve amp like this one

hth

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  4. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,551
    As is clearly stated on the web site (CD-S3000/CD-S2100 About playing SACD), the Yamaha player cannot play multichannel SACDs. This not mean that it cannot play them in multichannel mode, but rather that it cannot play them at all, not even in stereo. If you decide to go with the Yamaha, you will need to ensure that you only purchase SACDs that have (both a multichannel and) a stereo layer. Most do have stereo layers, but there are exceptions.

The Marantz SA8005 does not suffer from this restriction, it will down-mix a multichannel source.

5. Nat64

Nat64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I have the CD-S2100 and it is excellent.
    I bought it because I like SACD's and to me it sounded better than the other players I listened to, + its nice to have it matching the rest of the kit.
    Contrary to media reports from the day I can tell you that SACD's DO sound better than your standard CD. I have old ears and I can tell the difference so younger ears may well find them even better.

The post above this one does say that the Yamaha cannot play the 5.1 channel layer of a single layer SACD. That is true.
    However I would say 2 things to that.
    1. You are unlikely to find a single layer SACD.
    2. I use my DVD/Blu ray player to play a single layer SACD if i happen to find one.

Most and by that I mean probably 99% of SACD's are Hybrid SACD's. That is they have both the 5.1 channel recording and 2 channel stereo recording on the same disk. I actively look for SACD's and have never found a single layer disk.
    The only thing that stops me buying SACD's is the price .

Also , the CD-S2100 has a top notch DAC in it.
    If you have a matching Yamaha AS-2100 ,( or the AS-1100 / AS-3000 ) these amps don't have digital inputs/outputs.
    Personally I dont need them , but the CD-S2100 has both digital inputs ( USB/OPTICAL/COAXIAL ) and digital outputs ( OPTICAL / COAXIAL ).
    Thus you can use the CD-S2100 DAC if you have a requirement.

I am not saying Marantz or any other brand doesn't have this facility, as I don't know, but just pointing out the Yamaha does have it.

Lastly and this is a personal choice , the build quality of the Yamaha and its remote control is second to none.
    Thats why i chose it, as to me it was the best of everything.

Now I know I have given it a glowing report , just for the record I am in no way connected with Yamaha etc etc etc. Just a happy customer thats all.

By the way Peter Tyson have the CD-S2100 for £1,118.00 Full 2 year warranty etc ......

Thats the cheapest I have seen them .

Good luck in your choice.

6. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,381
    Hybrid SACDs means that it also has a redbook layer so that it can be played on standard CD players. It doesn't mean that it has a 5.1 and 2.0 SACD layer, Hybrids can have just a 2.0 SACD and 2.0 redbook. The definition of Hybrid is a redbook and SACD layer.

7. Nat64

Nat64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I stand corrected.

8. DIBSTER

DIBSTER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Other than the Marantz SA8005 (a very fine player with digital inputs and a good headphone output) I have not heard any of the other players mentioned in this thread.

I've just picked up a mint 2nd hand Oppo BDP-83 for £80 off another forum and I must say that it is probably the best CD player I've ever owned, when it comes to just pure playback. I've not even played a DVD/Blu Ray disc on it yet but for the money it's an absolute no-brainer, it just oozes class. One added benefit that I was unaware of when I bought it, is that I can adjust the volume control with the remote, which when you have a Pre/Power set-up with no remote like I have is a godsend.