1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S97 v 868i

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ekko Star, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    I know they're not in the same price bracket but as a HDMI dvd player to upscale to 720P/1080i which one is the better ?

2. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    868, the s97 is supposed to be quite weak via HDMI.

3. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Hmmm lots of conflicting stuff on this S97 ?

I don't expect it to be able to perform miracles at it's price point but it seems to get talked about enough...interesting

Obviously the 868i is a class machine but I'm loathed to buy a £500+ player at the moment when the new HDMI brigade maybe just around the corner.

However I do have an extensive DVD collection which I want to make the best use of by an upscaling player. Currently using a Toshiba SD900 via YUV into a SD Viera.

Probably hook the new one up to a Panny 42PV500. What do you reckon ? Will it be better than the SD900 ?

4. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    ... not from what I've read nor from my own experience ;)

Ekko Star - Hi mate. I've only ever experienced the Pio 868 when I bought my Panny AE700 - it was good, but not quite up to using my computer via DVi - HDMI... at least from memory :)

I own the Panny S97 and find it an excellent machine using both the HDMI and component connections. I find the digital out slightly "cleaner" looking, but the multitude of settings really means you - or rather I :) - keep learning which tweaks work and improve things and which have no effect or make things slightly worse! In fact, I only figured out this morning how to output a progressive scan image from the component outs!

If you're looking for a stop gap DVD player until HD arrives I think it's a no brainer for the money... although I am tempted by the Philips 863 that is available for £99.99, but I know I really should just be satisfied with the Panny... it's the tinkerer in me that fancies a new machine! ;)

All the best,

Mark

5. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Thanks Mark, really helpful :thumbsup:

I'm just thinking if the S97 hooked upto a PV500 via HDMI is going to produce better results than my SD900 hooked up via component into the PV500.

It's a case of letting the S97 upscale or the Plasma. My head says the plasma should be probably better at it but then I've heard so much about this S97 it sounds like it could be a OK for the job.

I don't mind going for the 868i but if the S97 is nearly as good then great.

6. expat

expat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Do you have the 50" PV500, Ekko Star? In the case of the 42" version, there's no point in having the player upscale, right? Since the display would then have to rescale to 1024x768?

7. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Having owned the denon 5900, 3910, pio 868i, tosh 9500e etc etc
    I can say the S97 is up there with them when u use the HDMI output.
    the S97s strong point is its HDMI output not it component output although owners are now saying with latest firmware that has improved but i havent tested it since the last update. in some ways the S97 is superior to the 868i. CUE would be a good example of this. I still think the 868i is a tad sharper with no noticable edge enhancment. S97 and the 3910, well i cant tell the difference so dead heat. Plus for the 868i is no MBE issues and SACD etc.

But for the price to performance ratio the S97 is an easy winner. That said i think the 989i will change that if it lives up to its reported spec.
    my advice would be to keep an eye on the pioneer 989i.

I should be doing a full review soon with pics compared to the S97. work permitting.

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    97 has lovely video as do many of the Pannys but make sure the audio is what you want.

9. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    some images with the Pana S97 and a Sim2 300xtra-H

Images taken at 1024X768, so is a slight drop in res to the actual image. Digi camera has also darkend the image a tad as well but it gives you an idea of detail. this is on a "110 ins screen.

Attached Files:

10. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    42" yes, but I have PJ as well. Two stages of upscaling involved but you have to experiment to see what comes out looking best on your display and for me it's still 576i/p

11. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    A few better quality pics. Notice the detail the S97 is able to pull.
    I suppose its a good advert to for the sim2, but these are great images and a great combo in hardware

There is a pic in the first bit of the thumb nail of the watch from MI2 and is a good judge of picture sharpness. Very sharp image of the chubby gladiator as well.
    All this for just £149 for the S97. The sim2 loves a good feed, bad feeds just look plain bad on the sim2 so big thumbs up for the S97.
    Only down side is i do still see a little MBE in very dark images

Think i have perfected how to take a screen shot :smashin:

Attached Files: