1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S97 HDMI to DVI Probs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mplep, Feb 25, 2005.

1. mplep

mplep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

I've had a post in the LCD Projectors section for a few days with no replies and as this is getting serious I thought I could post in the DVD section which is part of the problem as well.

I have a new Panasonic S97 which is having problems connecting to my PT-AE500 projector via HDMI/DVI.

Basically if I try to set the output from the S97 to 720P or 1120I then I get a Green Snowy image on the projector which I can just about make the menus out of. Dropping it back down to 625p and it looks fine. I'm using an 8m Supra cable which is certified for this RES.

I'm still awaiting Panasonic UK to get back to me on this and have to make some quick decisions whilst my projectors still in Warranty and I'm in the window to send the S97 back.

Any help much appreciated.

Mark.

2. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    What you are experiencing is something called Green Push. The problem here is that the DVD player is upscaling an image from 576 to 720 or 1080. The projecter is expecting a true Hi Def signal of 720 or 1080 and not an upscaled 576 signal.

I'm not sure how you actually get around it, but I know it is possible. It's been mentioned on the forum before somewhere, maybe on the plasma forum. I'll try to find it for you....

Richie.

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Found something. The problem causing a green push is where the TV uses it's own YUV->RGB conversion for an HD signal. Try setting the DVD player to output RGB over HDMI so the DVD player does the YUV->RGB conversion using the correct Colour Space settings.

Take a look here for a more indepth explanation....

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1436442&postcount=7

4. mplep

mplep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks very much for the infomation. I'll have a look later on when i'm back home. One thing though is I can remember that one of the display options for the S97 is set to RGB for HDMI as it didn't give me any other options. If I recall the HDMI status on the DVD stated RGB but i'll check this out later.

5. mplep

mplep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I phoned Panasonic again today and they guy said it won't work! He stated that DVI and HDMI are different and the projector will not support this and I need the new model. I asked if they have a DVI player and he said not until June.

I'd advise people to be careful when trying to matchup equipment.

6. gstadt

gstadt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    They're talking rubbish about HDMI>DVI not working, I've got HDMI from the S97 into a DVI board of my PW6 and it works. What he might mean is that there could be some compatibilty issues between the two which is different and would result in a blank screen I think. What I would do is have a look at the projector and see if its set to YUV. As its a DVI connection on the projector, the S97 is restricted to outputting RGB, as opposed to HDMI which has greater variety of colourspaces to choose from.

When I change my PS2 to output YUV through a RGB connection I get a green snowy picture, so that might be it.

G

7. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, DVI-HDMI works ok on my set, must be a compatability issue :thumbsdow

8. mplep

mplep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the input on this subject. Unfortunately there is nothing I can change on the projector so that appears to be it. I've sent the S97 back and am getting a Samsung HD-745 which is DVI not HDMI. It's a shame as the Panny looked great and the Samsung is a cheaper unit and probably not as good, but I want to take advantage of the higher res available. As i'm in the Channel Islands i'm getting hammered on these to and fro delivery costs :rolleyes:

Thanks again.

9. mplep

mplep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    SORTED!! BUT I'M NOT HAPPY!!

Got my Samsung HD-745 today and had the same problem! I connected up the Samsung DVI cable and it worked perfectly. I phoned my cable supplier and even before I finished explaining he said Supra had issued an advisory that their 8M HDMI-DVI cables are having problems. The packaging states it supports higher RES but obviously not. They have a new cable in development but don't know when it will be released :thumbsdow

I've had to ditch my S97 for the Samsung and lost £80 in P+P overall. :mad:

10. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Time to get onto Supra's Customer Services and demand compensation! :)

11. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    which cable did you get? ive got supra cable and i hope its not the same one ive got :(

ive got one which is 2m i'll try and find out what supra cable i got.

12. mplep

mplep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    They say it the 8M and above that have the problem. They have a new model built in their labs but don't have the material suppliers onboard so it's won't be ready for a while.

I've emailed a complaint as it's not a faulty cable that cost me all this but a design error which should not have happened.

13. mplep

mplep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Tim from Glaive limited (Supra UK supplier) replied twice and basically stated that the 8M cable in various circumstances may not work at higher resolutions. Their website and packaging mention it will, but they reckoned that as they were going to have a replacement cable ready in September 2004 they need not change the warning on the 8m version.

Problem is that the new cable is not ready and may not be ready until April 2005 at the earliest so the older cable is still being sold and advertised at OK for 8m at higher res.

I'm very disappointed with the response from Glaive and in particular in their first email reply which stated the 8m cable was fine and I should notice the warnings on the supra website and packaging for resolution warnings for cable lengths. The warning on my packaging was for 12M length NOT 8m.

14. mplep

mplep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've returned the £80 Supra which does not support high res on my equipment (green screeens) and got a £25 7.5m Lindy cable which works perfectly at all resolutions. I've learnt a lesson with that Supra cable but must thank hificables.co.uk whom were very helpful and took the Supra cable back without any hassles.

Watch out for current Supra cables (the 8m hdmi-dvi at least) as the packaging still states it works with high res even though they know it may not and did not for me either. The UK supplier of these is very slow in replying and as a customer I felt let down with their attitude. At least I can tell you the Lindy works and can recommend them now. I've made the UK supplier aware of this thread so he can add his own input if he wishes.

15. BOBFAN

BOBFAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just found this post & it may have answered some questions for me!
    Last month I bought a Denon 2910 & have it connected to a Sharp XV200 projector. I had previously installed a Supra 8m HDMI>DVI lead during renovation work to the house. Like the previous post 480P/576P is fine but if I upscale to 720P or 1080i I get a distorted green picture. I have upgraded the Denon to the latest firmware but no use. Now from what I read it may well be the cable! Like MPLEP the package said it would be fine up to 8m which is what I have.
    Does anyone know if a connector changing it to DVI>DVI will make any difference?
    I also emailed Denon, Sharp & Supra/Glaive on 28 March when I was unsure about the cause of the problem and am still waiting for a reply from Supra/Glaive!
    I am really quite cross about this & I will not be happy if I have to replace the cable as I had it chased into the wall in the ceiling!

David

16. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Don't worry the Samsung PQ is pretty close to the S97, plus you can upsclae in component. Also the Samsung Audio Cd quality is better and of course it plays virtually anything.

IMHO of course !

17. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I agree with Micky Gee the Samsung 745 is a fine machine.

I'm using a 15m Lindy DVI cable with it to my TX100 projector with no problems - all resolutions work fine...PJ