S95b & NowTV app

swordfish100

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
So I'm experiencing an issue with my Samsung S95b; when using the Now Tv app, I'm experiencing various odd coloured flashes, sound disturbances and also occasionally the app crashing and turning off the tv completely (no shut down animation, just going black like the power cord has been pulled).

After hundreds of hours using this TV its only doing this on NowTv. I have a couple of questions...

- Has anyone else found this happening on this app? I just want to rule out a hardware issue. As I say, all other apps work great.

- Is there a workaround? I use My Nvidia Shield of all my streaming apps, except NowTv which isn't available on the shield. I could switch to an apple tv, but I've kind of got used to the shield.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Which firmware are you on and have you got any of the tv's adaptive settings on?
Personally, for a tv of that capability, I'd avoid now tv anyway as it only runs at 720p, or 1080p if you pay extra...

Which firmware are you on and have you got any of the tv's adaptive settings on?
Personally, for a tv of that capability, I'd avoid now tv anyway as it only runs at 720p, or 1080p if you pay extra...
Yeah it’s not ideal, but all our favourite shows seem to be on there. As I say, when using ps5 or the Sheild, everything is perfect- it just seems to be the now tv app.

I’m on firmware 1304. I’ve just looked and brightness optimisation is on. All intelligent mode settings are off.

I’ll give it a go mate. I left it on as I figured it might be part of the burn in protection features?

Other than that I can only suggest you check out the 'other' forum..

A firestick might have been cheaper..

Weirdly, I’ve just noticed that this seems exclusive to House of the Dragon :/ is it even possible that a show on an app can cause a whole tv to shut off?

With apple tv as well?

So the apple tv is via hdmi yes? But the app might have different settings to that as it's SD/HD so check they're all ok. I know of one other owner that had something similar but that was due to the adaptive settings being on, once turned off it was fine.
I can only suggest you ask in the 'other' forum as they have a greater numbers of owners.
However, I assume you've tried resetting your tv just in case?

So the apple tv is via hdmi yes? But the app might have different settings to that as it's SD/HD so check they're all ok. I know of one other owner that had something similar but that was due to the adaptive settings being on, once turned off it was fine.
I can only suggest you ask in the 'other' forum as they have a greater numbers of owners.
However, I assume you've tried resetting your tv just in case?
Ah! I’ve found that ‘brightness optimisation’ was on, but only on the tv, not on any hdmi source. I’ve turned this off and the issue is gone! Thank you so much

Any idea why this setting might cause the whole tv to shut down? Out of curiosity.

I assume these crashes won’t have harmed the tv? Just I software clash?

I wish I knew but it seems you were not alone..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom