Quantcast

Question S905X3 SOC - SDR to HDR display settings toggle

hal1000

Ok so I just got a cheap £30ish S905X3 SOC equiped 4gb ram 32gb storage, android box of ebay just to mess about with it and in the display settings there is a GUI switch to force HDR thus allowing SDR content to be displayed as if it was being converted to HDR. Now I know enough to know that this is not true HDR but OMG it does seem to turn a lot of semi modern SDR content into something much more eye popping and better looking in most respects at least to my eyes.

I have a Zidoo X9S that does not have this ability and in all honesty, to my eyes and I hate to say it, also to my ears this stupidly cheap box is doing a better job all round, including motion handling. I love my X9s for many reasons especially 3d playback, but this new SOC / Android 9 box is really showing it up, which amazes me. I have had many Android boxes and SOC's etc, but this SOC combined with my 65" LG E6 makes me want to go back and watch most SDR content stuff I liked all over again. I started watching Stargate Atlantis using SDR to HDR on and I'm like WOW, this almost looks like a whole different show.

Anyway I just wanted to share it here and see if anyone else wants to chime in on this.

Please let me know if this is not the right place for this thread topic and I will move it.

Last edited:

wiz

Distinguished Member
Ooooh, your box sounds interesting as I'm been after a second box, which box is it so I can go buy one please?

hal1000

The model I got was the A95X F3 AIR 4gb / 32gb model - it does not have a very good front end but I use kodi as my media player etc so I don't worry about the quirky Android GUI, the only real bad thing, as far as I can see is that the top notification bar does not work - which seems to be an issue with most android 9 TV boxes, but apart from that, for the price it's really amazing.

I also have another S905X3 SOC android box, but the bottom bar did not work, which is why that one is going to my brother :) and why I picked the model mentioned above for myself :)

Just look on ebay - I'm sure you can pick one up all day for under £40.

Also firmware versions might change - but both boxes had the SDR to HDR toggle in display settings, so I would think most boxes using this SOC and Android 9 have this feature. My A95X has a nice colour strip on top of the box, that changes colour all the time, which is kind of cool.

Also if you have an OLED then I'm not sure if should be outputing static menus in HDR mode all the time, burn in etc might be an issue, so switch off sdr to hdr when not playing vids.

Last edited:

hal1000

A little update, the more SDR content I play using this SDR to HDR setting the more I think about never going back, also having watched a bit more material, I do think the sound is better than my X9s :(

Anyway I would love to hear from anybody else who's tried this.

Last edited:

Nightfa11

Standard Member
Hi Hal1000 - would be interested in trying this as there's a lot of SD content I still watch, but want to be sure I get the right box.

Searching on ebay brings up loads of boxes that seem to be similar, though not sure which would be the exact one to get. Also these are priced mainly between £45 and £140.

Any chance you could let us have a link to the actual one you found for about £30? :)

Cheers! :thumbsup:

hal1000

Hi Nightfa11, I just got another box and it does not have the same SOC but still has this SDR to HDR feature - so I'm now thinking it's built into Android 9.

Tanix TX9S 4K Android 7.1 TV Box Amlogic S912 Octa Core 2.4GHz WiFi 2GB+8GB UK | eBay

The one linked above has the SDR to HDR feature - but a lower spec but only £20 and both the bottom bar and notification bar work. I haven't played around with it enough to know if it's better than the other box. Even though the box is advertised as Android 7 it came with 9!

The box I got seems to be out of stock, but here is the link.
A95X F3 AIR Smart TV Box Android 9.0 8K 75fps S905X3 4+64GB Media Player 16+32GB | eBay

Here is a link to one still on sale at the time of posting this:-
A95X F3 Air Smart TV Box Android 9.0 Amlogic S905X3 Quad Core 4GB 64GB WiFi, i8 | eBay

The one above has 64gb but should be no different to the 32gb model I have, but I'm also sure they will appear on ebay again for under £40 as you can get them from Amazon all day for £50
A95X F3 Air Android 9.0 TV Box Amlogic S905X3: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Nightfa11

Standard Member
Many thanks for that hal1000 - I'll have a look into all those you linked and probably get one or another of them shortly! :thumbsup:

hal1000

Just watched Game Of Thrones seasons 2 to 7 again in HDR what a difference and you can't even buy it like that all due to a little GUI switch :)

hal1000

I just got another Android 9 box with a different SOC (Amlogic S922X-H), which also has the SDR to HDR option so I'm guesing it's an Android 9 feature :)

Top Bottom