S9+ or P20 Pro

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by cunnas, Sep 14, 2018.

1. cunnas

cunnas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +426
    Hi all, I have been an iPhone person for years, decades in fact. For the first time, in a long time, I am looking at getting an Android phone mainly to avoid the crazy prices of an iPhone X but also just to try something different!

I have narrowed the search down to the phones mentioned in the title. Both would be bought on a contract, not outright.

I have reviews upon reviews and they both score high, are both highly thought of and are both (roughly) around the same price at £30-40 a month with about £50-100 upfront.

Anyone have any thoughts? Anyone tried both?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  2. cunnas

cunnas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +426
    Or the Note 9, sorry, forgot to add this one in to the mix - but it is a lot more expensive and getting towards iPhone prices

3. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    I have the note 9 it’s brilliant love the battery. I had iPhone 3G and the 4 then tried to go back to Apple with the 6s plus but got rid after few months as I prefer android now.
    Everyone has different preferences one plus one 6 is another you might want to consider but if you do got for Samsung go to Samsung store or online and buy the phone 0% over 2 years pay it off earlier if you like and get a sim only with network which is best for you as it works out cheaper.

I pay £25 a month with EE 40gb data the note 9 was £33 a month I think but could have had it £21 a month had I traded my phone

4. cunnas

cunnas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +426
    Just ordered the S9 Plus. I think there’s only so many reviews you can read!

5. cunnas

cunnas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +426
    Checked out the Samsung site and the S9+ 256gb that I’m getting on contract is about £38 a month for 2 years. I’m actually paying less for that from e2save inc a tariff but thanks for the advice. Looking forward to getting the phone now!

6. Courtjezter

Courtjezter
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,496
    To be flippant I would have said the Pixel 2xl. Because, best camera, best os, no bloatware, guaranteed support over 2 years. And it's a bloody awesome phone

7. Martianbuddy

Martianbuddy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'd suggest you the galaxy s9 plus, in my opinion it's better then the p20 pro.

You can also consider the galaxy note 9, little bit expensive but an incredible phone.

If you want to save money but buy a great phone as well, take into consideration the oneplus 6, it's a lot cheaper but very fast and complete, better if you wait 1month or so and take the oneplus 6t.

8. cunnas

cunnas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +426
    Got the 9+ and it's great!

9. GrumpyOldGamer

GrumpyOldGamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    First deviation from iphone in 11 years, read a lot of reviews and settled on a 64gb Galaxy S9 for £2 a month more than I was paying for my iphone 7 with 8gb data, they gave me the phone for free and 30gb data including tethering and free calls abroad, can't complain.

10. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +707
    The S9 has a very light TouchWiz skin these days and it's a very well sorted hardware/software package.

You will end up getting hooked on Android. I have an iPhone 7 and a Sammy S7 and if I'm honest I don't use the iPhone much these days. It's hard for me to put my finger on any one feature, plus it's subjective, but I do find Android a very smooth intuitive experience.

I do prefer Google's suite of apps to Samsung's though e.g. Gmail, Chrome, Photos etc.

11. fcz

fcz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    my contract runs out next month and i am also a long time ios user. i am also seriously considering moving away from ios to either the s9+ or note 9. what do you feel is better about the s9+, advantages over the iphone and are they any features that you miss on android so far?

12. cunnas

cunnas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +426
    For me, there was nothing wrong with IOS, I loved my iPhone but just got a bit bored - I do not regret the jump at all and here are my thoughts....

The 9+ I got has 256GB of memory which is waaaay too much for me. I never got beyond 32GB on my iPhone as everything I have is cloud based but it is nice to have

The phone itself is stunning, love the curved edges, it feels premium and the smart view cover (£30) I got for it is brilliant.

There is nothing that I had on the iPhone that doesn't come in an Android version

The screen is OLED and 4K and you can tell, it is bright, easy to read and a pleasure to use

It comes with this thing called Infinity wallpaper but this is my only gripe on my 9+ - it doesn't seem to work! It is supposed to be this fancy 3D moving wallpaper but when I choose it in the wallpapers, all I get is a grey/coloured background on the home screen. I have googled this and come up with nothing so perhaps someone here might know?!

The Play store is good, easy to use, easy to find anything and quick to install

The Google Pay app is excellent and works great

The finger print sensor is on the back which I find a bit of a ball ache for unlocking the phone - I preferred the iPhone position on the home button

It has face and iris recognition but I don't use this

Videos and music sound great and it comes with some very good AKG in ear earphones - this was a bonus as I wasn't expecting that

As for advantages, it is fast, very fast but I was using a 2.5 year old iPhone so that is to be expected. It looks great, feels great and is easy to use.

A downside, which is a bit of a daft one is Android is customisable so I always have this nagging feeling I am missing out on something, like I haven't turned a good setting on/off!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List