• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

S550 at Richer Sounds, a bit cheeky

Ian Dudley

Established Member
Having seen it linked to from here a few times, we just tried to buy the Sony S550 at the 'great deal' price of £215, bargain thinks I!

Only it turns out that is just for the R2 (DVD) 'version' of the player, of which there appear to be two in stock in the entire south east, neither anywhere near me (Swiss Cottage and Watford if you're interested).

Instead they have plenty of stock of the all region 'version', but thats an extra £35! Not bad for just opening the box and pointing an all in one remote at it!

Even cheekier, when my wife asked why it costs an extra £35 to open the box they claimed that they come from the factory that way!

Bah!

Sad thing is, I'll probably still buy from them because even at £250 they are cheaper than most places, and once you factor in messing about with delivery (the shop is 5 miles from us) and having to get hold of an all in one remote, its less hassle this way.

Last edited:

Hades

Distinguished Member
I got mine a few weeks ago from Richer and got them to price beat RGB Direct, who at the time were doing it for £215 and MR.

Looks like they have put it up as its £239.99 but still MR @ RGB.

Its in stock at RGB so just get Richer to price beat it (which they will) and you can have yours for around £229 (possibly cheaper) from Richer and MR.

They did it for £204 for me when I did this and I had £40 worth of vouchers, so got it for £164 in the end.

Its a cracking player.

Hades

Distinguished Member
They will phone RGB up and make sure its like for like and in stock, then they should do you a deal.

Ian Dudley

Established Member
Fair do's to Richer, they did the price match and beat it by £10, so we got the MR player for £229.

I still think its a bit cheeky the way they are promoting a price you can't actually buy, but thats sales for you.

I can't fault thier service as they price matched for my wife without any problems or hassle. They did phone up to confirm stock, but didn't make any fuss about matching even though we're about 80 miles away from those shops! They even refunded her the fee for the car park!

All in all we've paid about £15 extra for the MR, which isn't a huge price to pay.

Mucho thanks again to [email protected]@ for the heads up!

Now I just need to get out of work so I can go play with my new toy! :D

Hades

Distinguished Member
I know what you are saying about the charge for MR. Glad you got a bit extra off though.

Enjoy your new toy, I am loving mine.

piros

Prominent Member
Glad I read this as I was about to order an S550 online, but will ring up richersounds tomorrow to pricebeat rgb direct :thumbsup:

Will be able to pick it up after work then if they can save one for me! :cool:

Hades

Distinguished Member
They reserved mine before they even did the price beat, so should not be a problem.

piros

Prominent Member
That's ok then, can't really complain, can't seem to find anywhere cheaper than £229 that's in stock plus it saves me joining the forum bike for a remote again :D

Ian Dudley

Established Member
They reserved mine before they even did the price beat, so should not be a problem.

Yup, same for us.

My wife was getting it as a 'surprise' birthday present (I may have dropped a few hints here and there). When she couldn't get the price advertised she decided to ask me about it before buying in case there was a better player at the increased cost (she knows what a nerd I am for this stuff).

That's when I posted here and got the great advice above! So she went into get the reserved unit and asked for a price match. She was resourcful enough to have all the relevent pages from the RGB direct site open already on her iPhone :)

Only problem is that through some timing issues, I don't actually have any BD discs yet! However, I watched DVD Transformers last night, upscaled to 1080p, and I have to say the picture was superb.

Got a few issues with the audio on the multi-channel out (soon to be posted about on ther receivers forum), but the picture is great and overall it seems to be a quality product so far.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom