S35 the great way to compliment E50

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bobbles, Apr 30, 2003.

1. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got myself one of the new S35's from Multiregion Magic for 139.99 (with VCR mode)

I must say I am very impressed, the DVD playback is excellent via the lovely component outputs. The menu system is very nice. It is a far more enjoyable experience using it as a DVD player over the E30.

I was worried about the drop in quality from -RAM to -R but there does not seem to be a noticeable drop in quality. Archiving is now far easier using sky+ copy to RAM overnight then -RAM to -R

A great player, you may want to wait for the S75 though for a few more enhancements

2. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey bobbles, at last someones actually bought one. Can you please try an E30 edited (partial erase) disc in it and comment on any pause at edit points. Also a question about the vcr mode, does it get rid of the cannot copy message if you connect to your E30 or is is just for connecting to vcr.

Cheers
    Paul

3. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I never thought of that.

So you can master on the E50 via DVD-RAM and then record to DVD-R from the S75 with the E50?

What's VCR mode and what do you use the Component out on?

4. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    What pauses are we talking about?

5. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    VCR mode removes all protection so can be used on DVDs or VHS. It also allows the back up off R1 dvds.

These are caused when you edit a -RAM your E50 has a seamless playback feature so you do not notice them

Hopefully the S35 has this, I didn't have chance to check last night due to the many different options of setting it up.

so you mean -RAM to -R to -RAM

yes but i do not know why you would want to do that

component out simply connects the DVD to my CRT it produces a better image than RGB scart

6. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Ooops,I got confused in my post,I just meant from -RAM (S35) to -R (E50),originally recorded on the E50.

Who needs a Hard Drive ;) ?

Thanks for the info.

:clap:

7. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Edited.

I'm getting a bit over excited by this.

8. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the components to attach to TV

I decided against the RGB pass through Sky+

(S35 RGB scart -> Sky+ VCR RGB IN -> SKY+ TV RGB OUT -> E30 -> TV)

since the S35 can not have RGB outputting on the scart if you are using components.

Another problem with the pass through is that if you are recording from -RAM to -R you can not watch something else on sky.

The set up I now have is

Sky+ TV -> E30 AV2 -> E30 AV1 -> TV RGB Scart

Sky+ VCR -> TV AV2 (not RGB )

S35 components -> TV AV4 components

S35 S-Video Scart to S-Video -> E30 S-Video AV4

So I watch RGB Sky through the E30 normally

If I am recording from -RAM to -R I can watch sky via composite scart, not ideal but never mind

(the s-video input on my CRT is in the front panel which looks awful open all the time)

If I am watching a DVD via component I can copy sky+ to -RAM

Major drawback is that this set up does not allow an RGB recording from -RAM to -R. Only an S-Video

I have tried both and there doesn't seem to be much difference. I usually record 3-4hrs of TV archive per disc anyway fine on my CRT. If I had a plasma I would rethink

9. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well a HD is a better solution, I like the idea of saving to HD, editing out ads from say a TV series then burning all the episodes onto a -R at x12 speed with a the titles intact

I would swap my set up for one of those Tosh HD DVDRs anyday of the week

10. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am giving serious consideration to using my RGB switchbox and changing the setup of the S35 when I want to go from -RAM to -R

this does mean getting off the sofa though :(

11. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Cheers.

Just re-thought and I would S35 > Freeview > E50.

I think my 2 Scart Grundig GDT 2000 Freeview box does RGB loop through.

Anyway,I don't think I'll buy an S35 just yet.

12. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    You can edit the adverts out on -RAM though can't you?

Which Tosh is that?

13. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes you can edit out the ads in -RAM the HD just has the advantage of missing out a step HD to RAM to -R which obviously means slighter better quality and also you can dub at x12

the Tosh HD DVDR is out in may there was a thread about it recently

the problem with looping is that you can not watch something else on sky whilst going from -RAM to -R

14. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I archived CSI and West Wing from -RAM to -R last night

I can not compare what it is like with the RA82, but the edit points seem fairly smooth on the fading scenes you can not tell it has been edited.

Otherwise it is the sound that really gives away the edit points as it doesn't fade naturally

15. hollie.weimeran

hollie.weimeran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just ordered one from Sound & Vision, Farnworth (Tel orders only 01204 861861) £102 delivered multi region - unfortunately they do not do the VCR mode but its a great price for a MR S35. I've used this company before and they are excellent with good customer service.

I returned a Tosh 210e under warranty and it was back with me within 8 days.

16. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "I can not compare what it is like with the RA82, but the edit points seem fairly smooth on the fading scenes you can not tell it has been edited."

Yeah if you edit just at the right time, ie on a program logo screen before adverts or just when the fade to black has gone totaly black then playback on the RA82 is faultless (the pause is still there obviously but you cannot tell). The real test of the s35 bobbles will be to make a cut during an actual program scene and see how it plays, on the RA82 it's as though the pause button has been tapped for half a second or so, there will be an obvious still frame held and then it'll go staight to the after edit video with no still frame.
    If you have time to mess around to this degree bobbles can you let us know how the s35 performs.

17. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    Hi Bobbles,

I think this is probably the best course of action. If your archiving you want to do so in the best quality (RGB) rather than S-Video. Sounds as though you have a versatile setup now though.

18. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    done a test

yep no seamless playback there is a slight pause

I would have thought on a RAM player seamless playback is important so why haven't they put it in

never mind

19. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    Seemless Playback on editted RAM recordings is achieved by using the machine's recording memory buffer which, for obvious reasons, a 'normal' DVD player lacks (the playback buffer is much, much smaller). Is the pause that instrusive?

20. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, Rasczak makes sense

Well it is comparable to a layer change. However, I do not think it is too bad as I didn't notice a single layer change on CSI or West Wing just needs sensible edit points.

I know what you mean I have tested it and I can not really see much difference between S-Video and RGB on my CRT. Obviously on a PJ or plasma I guess it would be more noticeable.

I think I will stick with my set up for now as it means I do not have to mess with the set up of the S35 and more importantly I do not have to get off the sofa ;)

I record around 3-4 hrs on a -R when archiving american TV so I do not think the drop in quality using S-Video rather than RGB is that significant.

21. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for doing the test bobbles, tis a shame.

Ras the pause is intrusive enough that I prefer to have the program logo come up where adverts were rather than trying to pretend that there never were adverts. I'd imagine that if you turn off seamless playback on the E-30/hs2 then this pause would also show up, dunno though never tried it.

Paul

22. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right I have adjusted my connection slightly, I know have

Sky+ TV RGB scart -> AV1 RGB CRT

Sky+ S-Video -> E30 AV4 (S-Video)

S35 RGB Scart -> E30 AV2 RGB Scart

S35 Components -> CRT AV4 component Inputs

E30 AV1 Scart (S-Video) -> CRT AV2 Scart (S-Video)

The S-Video signal from Sky+ to E30 is superb I was amazed at the quality.

Now the last one was a bit of a suprise too I had set this one up as a back up if I was archiving from -RAM to -R and wanted to watch Sky.

when I changed the settings on the E30 and CRT from video to S-Video the improvement in picture quality was enormous. I can only conclude it is possible to pass an S-Video signal through a fully wired scart.

I know have a much simplier set up no looping and no switch box, more sofa time :)