S3 Woes... any ideas?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by guido, Mar 14, 2006.

1. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    OK... so with the recent threads on S3, thought would have a go at setting mine up... but am failing miserably :(

Have been into the Bios and ensured that the "ACPI-S3 Save to RAM" is enabled (see first picture).
    Then been into USB devices and found the microsoft remote and allowed it to being out of standby.
    Also edited registry to add the HKLM>SYSTEM>Current Control Set>Services>USB>USBBIOSx key
    Also used the "dumppo admin minsleep=S3" command to ensure in S3 mode.

So when Media Center started, I can press the PC power button on the MS Remote and the PC goes into standby in less than 2 seconds. This is S3 mode, no fans.
    When pressing the MS Remote button again, the PC wakes up.. but goes though what looks like normal boot up screens to end up at logon screen.. This is not what I expected - surely if saved to RAM will come back up as left it?

Anyway.. so tried a recording. Set up the recording. Pressed power button on Remote and PC goes into S3. At desired time, the PC wakes up... well green light is on, fans whirring... but screen is blank and never gets any further. After a while nothing is happening.. press power button on remote and PC boots up to login screen. After login, nothing has been recorded.

In the BIOS there are two modes for power on/off... ACPI controlled and BIOS controlled... (See 2nd and 3rd pics).. have tried both modes and get same result with either :rolleyes:

:lease: anyone!????

Attached Files:

2. Chaps

Chaps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Forgive an obvious question, but in the control panel/power options/advanced , have you set it to 'standby', and not 'hibernate'? Perhaps unticking the 'prompt for password' option may also help?

When recording from standby, it's normal (at least it is on my machine) for there to be no picture. It's as if MCE leaves to video card 'asleep' untill you press the green button. It's not normal however, for it not to record :-/

3. markxtc123

markxtc123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    One thing I have noticed from your screen shots is that in the first screen you are going into standby after 15 mins and not going into suspend. Although I am ready for someone to correct me I believe you need to set the standby time to disabled and the suspend time to 15 mins. S3 is a suspend mode not a standby mode. Some chipsets shut down the processor in standby mode and it would not then wake up correctly, if at all.

Mark

4. jackylad

jackylad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I followed these rules:

1. Set my BIOS to S3 only
    2. Ensured that my PSU was compatible
    3. Ran the S3 Hack from the Green Button
    4. Ran Dumppo.exe and set minsleep=S3 & maxsleep=S3
    5. Changed the power settings to System Standby 10mins & to Standby not Suspend
    6. Changed the device settings to "do not allow the device to bring the computer out of standby" for everything other than the remote

That was kinda it! I also read that the aquarium screen saver can cause problems.

Had loads of problems at first coz my psu wasn't compatible. I'm sure you've tried everything in my post but maybe the maxsleep is something that was missed????

5. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for replies...

Have checked Hibernate and its off
    Also the prompt for password is unticked.

Have tried just about every bios option going... including suspend settings as suggested..

Also set maxsleep to S3 now as well -cheers.

But nada... still no joy.
    Have downloaded latest BIOS.. but left my USB Floppy at work... so that one will have to wait :rolleyes:

few more questions...
    After setting a manual recording... do you press power on remote to set to S3 mode or wait until PC does itself after timeout?
    Tried setting standby in control panel power options to 2 mins... but after 2 mins doesnt go to standby??? Have check all the USB HID and only the remote is allowed to wake up.
    When you come back out of standby, eg. from remote, what do you see?

Yours frustratedly... wish I'd spent money on a Humax 9200 :rolleyes:
    Guido

6. Chaps

Chaps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have set my machine to go into standby after 15 mins of idle. It works so long as the PC isn't currently recording, and it isn't displaying a tv picture. So if i set it recording and go to bed for example, I just press 'stop' on the current Tv channel and leave it. It turns off 15 mins or so after it stops recording.

When coming out of standby with the remote, i see the last thing the PC was displaying before it went into standby (usually a blue screen with the name of the last TV program and some options - resume, play etc i think).

As for your original problem - let us know how the bios update goes! I also seem to remember reading a while ago that if you install windows whilst the bios is not set to S3, then S3 won't work even if you enable it after windows is installed. I'm not sure if the registry hack is a get-around for that or not.

Hope that helps, though i doubt it!

7. Dillz

Dillz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Did you have S3 enabled in the bios when you installed Media Center? I read somewhere that on some installs it makes a difference.

8. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    No... S3 turned on after install.... :rolleyes:

Havent tried the BIOS upgrade yet... but not expecting it to make any difference.

9. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,717
    I know it's a pain Guido, but keep plugging away :)
    After some initial fiddling, I've just got my S3 working properly and it's worth the effort.

10. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yeah... I know it will be... just a bit fed up with at the moment!!.. I havent activated my copy of MCE yet... and have a 250Gb disk hanging about... so will probably go the rebuild route when I have some time. My TV is currently at the repair shop.. so not in a particular hurry... 32" TV will look HUGE when it comes back... cos currently watching TV on 11yr old 15" CRT monitor plugged in the MCE PC!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :cool: