S3 sleep following a recording

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by cygnusx04, Jan 21, 2008.

1. cygnusx04

cygnusx04

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    With the aid of latest GPX drivers, updates and the MCE standby tool, my Vista Media center is sleeping and resuming very nicely (S3), except for in one scenario.

If i am recording/watching a TV program and then press the power button on the remote, the media center goes to a blue screen as it goes into partial standby. Obviously the media center stays on as it is recording the program still.
    However following the completion of the recording, the media center does not go into full standby mode.

When i check the next day, the media center is still on from the night before.

Have others seen this problem? Is this likely to be a bug with MCE standby tool or Vista in general?

2. cygnusx04

cygnusx04

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    surely someone who has VISTA MCE can verifiy whether this happens on theirs or not?

I want to know if this is a quirk of my system or a bug in general?

3. Martin Chatfiel

Martin Chatfiel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What should happen is the screen goes blank but Vista stays running. By 'blue screen' do you mean BSOD (system crash) or the screen that the TV puts up when there's no signal. If it's BSOD you wouldn't get any recording.

Have you looked in the event log, tried a keyboard to sleep/wake, pushed the power button briefly - just some ideas.

Standby in Vista is full of bugs. On my Vista system it works perfectly apart from the first time after power up - the system hangs when I bring it out of standby the first time, if I then reboot (without power off/on) everything is OK. It's also very slow to sleep, i.e. 10-15s (I have disabled hybrid sleep).

I personally would avoid the MCE standby tool - it just messes with your registry. I never needed it in XP and it didn't make any difference in Vista.

4. cygnusx04

cygnusx04

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    :) by blue screen, i meant the video card signal is stopped and my CRT displays its normal No input blue screen :)

sorry for confusion.

If i sleep during a recording it just doesn't sleep properly - MC stays on. It sleeps and resumes fine at all other times.

ah well! Guess i will have to play some more.