1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S1 and S2 S-video: explanation please!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by David Robinson, Jan 15, 2005.

1. David Robinson

David Robinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    My Pioneer DVD player has a menu selection for S1 or S2 on the S-video output. The manual says that S1 "includes aspect ratio information" and "S2 is an enhanced version of S-video which [also] contains letterbox / pan & scan information".

I've been unable to find any info about this on the web, so I'm wondering whether it's a Pioneer special rather than a general standard.

I'm interested in using this if possible to control aspect ratio switching on the TV. The Pioneer does put out widescreen signalling (WSS) on line 23 of the video (on all outputs), however the snag with this is that it disappears when playing an NTSC disc, presumably because it's not a standard in use in the US (the Americans of course being the original inventors of the Not Invented Here Syndrome). :rolleyes:

I vaguely recall seeing something years ago about using a DC bias on the chroma pin of the connector for signalling purposes - could this be the answer?

If anyone knows how this works I'd be very interested.

As a side issue, can anyone name a single standard, in any field, established outside the USA which the US subsequently adopted? I can think of plenty that they didn't, such as DAB radio, COFDM for DTT, SCART connectors (I have to agree with them on that one), DRM radio, long wave radio, metric measurements, centigrade, 50Hz mains, driving on the left...

2. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    1. Sounds highly proprietary to me. For a Pioneer (US) TV perhaps ?

2. Agree with you on scart but - after some thought - can't answer that question either :)

Mike.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I believe that US TV (NTSC) signals can carry an embedded WSS signal just like PAL does. However, it's on a different line (21 IIRC). Which suggests that the TV is only looking at L23 and not in both places (dependent on video signal).

I also agree completely about SCARTs. They cause more problems than enough.....

4. David Robinson

David Robinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well, I've now partially answered my own question by experiment. There is indeed a DC output on the chroma pin of about 4 volts, when the DVD player is in widescreen. It is current limited, so it only works if the 75Ω termination resistor at the receiving end is connected through a capacitor. Unfortunately my TV doesn't support this. :thumbsdow I still don't see any difference between S1 and S2, but maybe it depends on the disc.

As for line 21, looking at the data sheet for a Video DAC chip I used recently, it seems this is used for closed captioning rather than widescreen control.

5. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I have a DV444 - which has the S1 and S2 modes - I tried both, and am not sure of a difference - manual alludes to stretching problems if not in correct mode.

The TV used is a Sony KV32FX60U which detects which type of svideo is being used and makes adjustments- it has a setting to autoswitch to wide mode for a given AV port.

Later Pioneer models no longer support svideo type.