Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

S-Video with w/screen switching from SCART?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by petencl, Aug 13, 2005.

1. petencl

petencl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Just received a Panny PD50 and I see now the problems people have with RGB SCART input on this set (from Sky+ box in my case).

I was wondering, if I butchered a SCART cable to carry the video from the S-Video output on the Sky+ and just a one-wire connection from the Sky+ SCART for the widescreen switching, would the PD50 display S-Video but still react to the widescreen switch voltage?

Cheers,
    Pete

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    You should still get the widescreen switching from just the S-Video signal as it's also encoded in one of the scanning lines. The info is available on the forum if you do a search or maybe some of the more knowledgable folk will chime in. :)

3. petencl

petencl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the info, gave it a try using both the s-video connector on the front and a SCART->s-video adapter on one of the AV sockets on the back. No aspect switching that I could make out though. :(

4. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Can you describe this condition the best you can as I was wondering whether my Panny suffers from this?

I was playing around with scart and signal i/p's last night because I noticed faint noisy lines across the screen (I mean dark hazy flickery lines smearing the pic) watching BBC 3 via Freeview. However switching to different quality scart i/p did not eradicate the problem... I was not even sure that S-video or composite was being implemented since the pic did not look any different!

I've done no further tests as yet.