S video wire up problems

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Adam M, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    dont know where esle to put this but really need your help on this one guys.

I recently acquired an lcd computer monitor for watching tv to save on projector life. IN the process It was prudent to run everything through s vidoe and do away with composite.

All my inputs use s video and the denon avc a10 se has no facility for converting signals coming in in s video into composite, so I decided the whole system would use s video.

The input source for tv pictures is a low budget sony stereo video and I bought a £10 scart to 2 phone and s video cable. to run out from video to denon amp.

the problem is it is black and white.

I am certain the problem stems from the configuration of the scart lead.

Basically I am wondering if anyone knows how to rewire the scart plug so that the signal along the s video becomes colour.

I could just buy a high quality scart to s video cable and have dedicated phonos for the sound, but I am uncertain that the same problem wouldnt arise again.

Although the dvd, laserdisc etc is still all in colour, watching tv in black and white is seriously frustrating. please help,

and advice would be greatly appreicated.

2. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I doubt your video will output S-Video from your description, so it will be composite only.

One cheap option is to get some in-line composite->S-Video converters, the qualities still only composite. I think mine were about 10 quid from either lektropacks or keene electronics.

3. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    But if it doesnt support s video, why would it provide the picture signal but not the colour?

wouldnt it just be black?

If you are suggesting that the video is not up to it, I could well believe it. I have no problems buying another video if I must as I dont like the idea of converters, plus it would be comvenient to be able to put the video back in my bedroom.

I am only using it as I am convinced the spikes of distortion from my on digital receiver were overloading the inputs of my avd2000, hence why I had to buy the avc a10se (not such a bad move anyway).

Is there a way of knowing if a video will support s video out before I buy it?

4. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'm not massively upto date with current videos, but I believe only s-vhs recorders will provide s-video connections, they're still a lot dearer than standard vhs.

The reason it's black is because s-video transmits a B&W picture as 1 pin and 2 other pins chromance and luminance which then make up the picture. So an S-video display will pick up the picture but not any of the colour parts.

5. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    P.S. maybe worth posting in the recorders section for some ideas on videos that output s-video.

Cheers

Slingshot