S-Video Vs Scart

Q

qwiksilver

I know in order worst -> best PQ:

RF -> Composite -> S-Video -> Component -> HDMI

Where does Scart & DVI come in this? And what's the differece between Component BNC & RCA?

My understanding is that a fully wired (RGB) SCART is between S-Video and Component. A non fully wired SCART is merely another way of transmitting composite (or even S-Video) information.

DVI is currently pretty much the same as HDMI but doesn't have the capability to transmit audio data along with the video data, I think. Although I think HDMI has higher bandwidth capabilities - anyone care to correct me - I think I may be wrong on the bandwidth issue...... :S

Is component quality really better than RGB scart?

qwiksilver said:

Generally true, but not always. Component can be better than HDMI on certain display devices. Pre 8 series Panasonic plasmas for instance.

Non fully wired scart may be wired for RGB only or even S-video only. If wired for RGB only it should be better than an S-video connection, but again it depends on how well your display device handles the alternatives.

HDMI / DVI - 10 bit over HDMI versus 8 bit over DVI from what I have read, but I too may be wrong on that and I haven't seen any difference so far (3 weeks in from having both, though changing boards is a major performance!).

Precisely the point Piers was making, it depends how your screen handles the signals. Hitachi scart is no great shakes, and it's not alone in this 'weakness', XDE suffers too, and of course the Panasonic scart video board for panels is very soft too. So component video appears to shine disproportionately.

MAW said:
Precisely the point Piers was making, it depends how your screen handles the signals. Hitachi scart is no great shakes, and it's not alone in this 'weakness', XDE suffers too, and of course the Panasonic scart video board for panels is very soft too. So component video appears to shine disproportionately.

hmmm, I'm thinking of replacing my currnet, cheapo, scart cable, but I'm not sure whether to go for a fully wired RGB scart to scart or a scart to component?

You say that Panasonic video boards are a bit soft, does this apply to the PV500's, or is it just with the panel version?

MAW, if I'm running a fully wired scart from a Panasonic DVD recorder to a pv500 AV1 input, does that mean it defaults to the better quality connection (RGB). In the absence of an HDMI output on the DVD source, would I get a noticeable difference using component cables? I am using a mid quality IXOS cable.

qwiksilver said:

Where does Scart & DVI come in this? And what's the differece between Component BNC & RCA?

Scart is a transport medium, and can't be compared to S-Video.

i.e. A 21 pin scart cable can be configured to carry composite video, RGB or S-Video.

Pinout for Input 3 of the Pioneer 436 XDE Media Receiver which is user selectable for any of the above 3 modes is:

1. Audio Right out
2) Audio Right in
3) Audio left out
4) Common earth for audio
5) Earth
6) Audio Left in
7) BLUE input
8) Audio-Video control
9) Earth
10) AV Link control
11) GREEN input
12) Not used
13) Earth
14) Not Used
15) RED input or Chroma S-Video input
16) RED/GREEN/BLUE control
17) Earth for video
18) Earth
19) Video output
20) Video input or S-Video input
21) Plug shield

Both ends of the SCART need to be configured in the same way. You can see that when RGB is selected pin 20 is still free to carry composite too.

acrmorris said:
MAW, if I'm running a fully wired scart from a Panasonic DVD recorder to a pv500 AV1 input, does that mean it defaults to the better quality connection (RGB). In the absence of an HDMI output on the DVD source, would I get a noticeable difference using component cables? I am using a mid quality IXOS cable.

It doesn't default to anything, ie. both pieces of equipment don't "negotiate" their best mode as either end of the link.

The default settings for each piece of equipment may be different. Its up to you to read the manuals and set them both appriopriately. i.e. RGB where possible.

Component would give you the best picture quality, and progressive scan, which SCART will never do. Try the PC World website they have a Belkin component cable for 7.49 if you reserve and collect (25 quid if you walk in off the street).

PDP-434HDE said:
a Belkin component cable for 7.49 if you reserve and collect (25 quid if you walk in off the street).

Is it a good cable, worth me driving 30 mile round trip for?

kamaran said:
Is it a good cable, worth me driving 30 mile round trip for?

I bought 2 to allow me to switch my XBOX and Pio 575 through my 1014 amp and it does what it says on the tin. Thick cables usually mean good quality. (I'm not a cable officiado, but seems fine for the price).

REMEMBER you must order off the net for instore collection. If you just walk through the door its 25 quid.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom