1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S-Video vs RGB > VGA or Component?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by AFC, Jan 19, 2005.

1. AFC

AFC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A couple of questions and some opinions please

I'm very happy with my current set up but after reading so many people using some form of RGB > VGA or component converters for their Sky + connections I'm curious to whether my Sky + picture could be improved upon and by how much.

I currently use S-Video to connect the Sky + box to my Panny 42" 6 series, the picture does appear to be good but get a bit of banding from time to time. Football can also look a little bit blurry on fast panning shots but nothing I can't live with.

So, how much improvement would I see and to what extent if I used either a JS or Keene RGB > VGA or Component converter?

Would feeding the signal through one of these boxes also lead to lip synch? (Although the sound goes from Sky + to Sony DAV S-550 via optical lead)

Also, without wanting to take the p*ss I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible for try before you buy or if I could return it if I didn't notice a significant improvement in the picture quality?

2. Member 6435

Member 6435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Hi AFC

You would benefit in routing your Sky+ through a RGB to VGA converter and then to the screen as, I am sure, can be confirmed by many of the forum members who have already gone this route. The JS boxes are extremely well manufactured and will not cause any lip sync issues.

Regards

Alastair

3. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    S-video isnt always the poor cousin that it is made out to be and can somtimes be quite good...whether it is good enough to make the most of 2-3k screen investment is the issue I guess.

However, the JS boxes offer very good quality if you have an RGB source and want to make the best of your input on a big screen.

A summary of things to consider:

RGB2VGA - some people find the colour too strong and it cannot be adjusted by the screen when VGA is in RGB mode - it does give a nice sharp picture though...

RGB2YUV - not quite as sharp as VGA, but you do get colour control.

Either of these converters cannot improve situation where the source is bad (e.g. sky blocking and bad MPEG compression) but they ensure the screen gets the best signal from your sources.

Both offer a good improvement over other connections like Svid and scart, but it is hard to explain this imporvement in words - ideally you need to see for yourself and decide if it is worth it. Many people here have and would say yes, but you need to see it with your own eyes.

If you buy online, I am pretty sure that the distance selling act allows you to return any item if it does not mean your satisfaction - maybe you could consider this?

At the end of the day, the converters cost £100-£150 but when you consider they are connecting to a £2-3k screen they are probs worth it if you are looking to get the best of out the source. Depends how fussy you are I guess?

Cheers

JJ

P.S. The JS boxes come up in the classifieds quite a lot so you could also buy one and sell it on again if you are not impressed...