1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S video vs PC Input on LCD TV

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by scrapbook, Oct 17, 2004.

1. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +550
    Just looking at a small LCD screen for TV in the bedroom that will also double as a PC monitor.

The LCD I was looking at doesn't have PC input, although it does have s-video input.

Assuming I have a graphics card with s-video output are they any differences/disadvantages of using s-video over PC Input?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    S-Video will give a less well defined and sharp image due to the way the separate colour signals are multiplexed, whereas with VGA they're kept separate. How good an image you'll get will depend on the card and the TV, the biggest problem you may find will be that fonts can get hard to read due to the fuzziness of the picture.

It'll be okay for watching DVDs and video in general, not great but watchable, but for 'PC' work you may have problems.

3. PAH

PAH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    For PC use you really need a LCD that can accept DVI or a standard VGA input, and a PC with a video card that can output the native resolution of the LCD panel. Otherwise the picture won't be as clear as it could be due to how the panel has to scale the resolution. I've found that connecting via s-video or at a non-native resolution is akin to connecting a PC to an average CRT, i.e. fuzzy and more or less unusable for general PC use.