S video vs component?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by griswold, Dec 29, 2001.

1. griswold

griswold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a the panasonic DVD SC-HT80 surround sound unit that I am trying to hook up to my new Panasonic 47" wide screen PT-47WX51 HDTV. I realize that thus far there is very little broadcast HDTV programs out there so my normal cable video will be about the same as what I am used to. However, I am trying to obtain the best video picture from my dvd player as I can. My family members are telling me that I should use the S-video cable from my dvd player to my tv for the best picture. I think that my standard RCA component cables will give me the best picture. Who's correct? Is there another better way of hooking these two together? Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    There is NO HDTV broadcasts in the UK or Europe, nor is there and pre recorded media in that format so s-video is probably the best solution. Are you in the US? just asking since your TV is not on sale in the UK.

If you have a progressive scan dvd player I believe you need to use the component connections to use this feature since your TV (which is truely impressive btw) has that option.

3. griswold

griswold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I accidently kept both my component and my s video hooked up and the picture is actually better (in my opinion) than if these 2 were seperate. Will this harm anything?

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    I wouldn't have thought so, your TV is more than intelligent enough to handle multipule inputs even from the same source.
    The fact that it looks better that way is a puzzle though:)

5. Pathfinder

Pathfinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Component video connections will give a better picture than s-video but you'll need good leads to get the best out of it.

It works without HDTV or Progressive Scan - newer Tosh TV's and DVD's can be connected by component and neither are HDTV or PS in Europe (inc. UK). PS2's can also be connected via Component Video (with the right lead).

Bin the s-video lead and use Component. ;) or RGB (via SCART) ;)

Pathfinder