1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s video video switching problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by paulefox, Feb 19, 2003.

1. paulefox

paulefox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I have just set up my amp to use video switching , however it doesnt automatically change the screen size on my TV . Scarts put the screne to the correct size for the broadcast.
    Is there something I am doing wrong

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    Probably not.

There are two ways that a TV can be 'told' what ratio to display. One is via one of the pins in the SCART setup. The other is by a bit of data that is included in the TV signal (on one of the unused lines at the top of the picture - line 23 IIRC for PAL; line 21 IIRC for NTSC).

Clearly, by not using SCART you defeat the first method.

Some TVs CAN interrogate the 'flag' - others don't have this feature. Some can see the line 23 (PAL) flag, but can't see the line 21 (NTSC) flag.

Personally, I don't find manually switching ratios to be too much of a chore. It's (IMHO) more than compensated for, by the convenience of amp switching. And, in any case, there are a few DVDs out there where the encoding is incorrect, and results (in an autoswitching scenario) in the wrong aspect being displayed anyway.

3. paulefox

paulefox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    thanks