S-Video v Component

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Me, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I know this one has been done to death over the last few months, but I have a simple question for an expert, or at least someone with greater knowledge than me. I have a Sony CX850 DVD changer. Young family hence the changer. I find it a great machine and have know problems at all. I feed a Sanyo PLV-30 with an s-video signal. I want to use the component inputs on the projector to gain a better picture and am thinking of changing the player to the component fitted Sony CX860. I t is basically the same as the player I have got but with the component outputs. Is it worth spending the money.Will the picture significantly improve over s-video.
    Thanks Mark

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    In a word... yes.

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any way you could try it first? It will improve the picture but by how much is another matter. If you are dissapointed with the picture you are getting at the mo I would look to your projector and screen first. I don't think you will notice a hughe difference between Svid and component, certainly not the improvement gained from going composite to Svid.

S

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I don't have a projector, but for a plasma the component is clearly superior to s-video. Agree the improvement is less than composite to s-video but still worth having.

5. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would NOT recomend changing your whole player just for Component.

I have a Sony DVD & TV (CRT not Projector keep in mind) with RCA, SVideo & Component.
    I hooked them all up at once one day (I was able to see all three connections at once) and the was a big jump ion difference between RCA & SVideo - the picture was brighter, lines sharper and no artifacts.

The only difference I cuold see (detailed comparison) was a tiny coluor hue difference (and I mean TINY) between SVideo and Component. The picture was no sharper.

You can spend all that money and you wuld not notice a difference when you got it home (or you would kid yourself that you can to justify the $ !!).

6. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I have both S-Video and component to my VPL10 projector (both fairly decent cables), and can notice naff all difference between them. So in my opinion it was a waste of money putting 10m of cable in for both (mind you I would always have been wondering).

Saying that I think it probably depends on the devices your using, a friend of mine uses a JVC widescreen TV and the difference between RGB and S-Video is amazing, everythings sharper and there are less artefacts particularly in the whites, so different devices probably handle signals differently.