1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s video upconversion - to what ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tij303, Jan 4, 2005.

1. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having been scouring + searching tons of threads tonight I am struggling to work out the difference between 's video upconversion' and 'component video up/down conversion'.
    Basically I am stuck between the yamaha rx 650 and the dsp 750, but need to be able to input an s video or composite signal from a wi fi receiver (that displays jpeg pics) into the amp and then onto a panasonic pw6 plasma via component board (or rgb scart ).
    If the 650 can do this I will save a lot of money, but having checked the yammy website and all the postings it does not seem to be clear exactly what the s video 'upconverts' to?? Is it simply a channel through to another s video source or any relevant signal?.
    I think in my circumstances I would be safe with a dsp 750 but if anyone can help me with this I would appreciate it as I am completely confused now and want to get on with a :censored: order before I turn into jabba the hutt ! :suicide:

2. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    tij303,

You need the Yammy 750 that upconverts either a composite or s-video to component signal. Yammy 650 upconverts a composite signal to only s-video signal.

Have you thought of buying from Germany?

RX-V750 costs only from £294+delivery from e.g. www.hificomponents.de or www.hirschille.de

Wasabi

3. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers Wasabi - I have finally got my head around it thanks. It seems so trivial for the sake of a small piece of equipment such as a wifi receiver but it also means I can pipe most of my other sources straight through including sky+, xbox and my dvd player so I will have only one wire going to the plasma. I think. In addition the audio delay make it about the best value amp for the money unless there is something I am missing.

I have to say it all seemed so simple until a couple of days ago :blush:

I have had a look at the German sites - £299 is very tempting although I assume rx is the european model (I read something about dsp being uk only) and has the same features. I would be tempted if delivery was reasonable but if it is £40 or so I may just get it from superfi for £380 ish. In any event it is £150 more than I was wanting to pay,but in the long run I suppose it will save money. Dont think it will help me sleep though :boring: getting a sick feeling with the amount of cash I have spent for the sake of watching corra in 7.1 ...... ;)

On a final note if it wasnt for the advice of the forum bods I am sure I wouold be a grand worse of with a pile of :censored: so once again thanks :thumbsup:

4. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    tij303,

Delivery is usually around £15-25 pounds. So your savings is still £60+, which is a significant saving. And yes the RX-V750 is for the rest of the world! Which doesn't mean that it is any worse than the DSP despite Yamaha UK saying its tuned for British ears.

And Yamaha UK is so far the only brand that will accept it for service if your amp is bought in another EU country, so not a problem there.

Wasabi