1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s video trial

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Bobby_Dazzler, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Bobby_Dazzler

Bobby_Dazzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I have just tried to see for myself the diff in picture quality by swapping my scart connection for an s video, i noticed the colour wasnt as dull but that was about it.... anyway my question is after conecting the sky + to sony tv via s video i had no sound so how do i go about adding sound in to the equation?

regards

rob

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    What picture signal were you outputting via scart? Was it RGB, S-Video or composite?
    If you were outputting composite then it is no surprise that S-Video looked better, if it was RGB then I am a bit surprised as RGB is normally (but not always) better than S-Video. If it was S-Video then I can only assume that the S-Video lead was better quality than the scart.
    All 3 of the above formats can be carried by a scart lead, you just need to set the STB to output the required one. By going this route you will also be sending the sound to the TV via the scart lead. Most TV's will have 2 or more scart sockets and not all of the scart sockets will work with all of the formats. Normally scart 1 will be RGB & composite and scart 2 will be S-Video & composite. You will need to :rtfm: to find out.
    Other than that you could use an S-Video plus 2 phono to scart plug lead, just make sure the cable is either switchable or is signal out of scart as scart plus use different pins for the in & out signals and if you get the wrong one it wont work. Sky should have a pair of phono sockets to plug this lead into that will carry the sound to the TV.
    Or you could use a phono to phono pair & S-Video to S-Video lead plugged into a scart converter. Yet again make sure that the scart converter is signal out of scart or switchable.
    IMHO your best bet though is to get a good quality scart to scart lead as you can use all the formats via this lead as stated above. I would think the improvement you saw with the S-Video lead is almost certainly down to that lead being a better quality, but could be due to Sky outputting composite so you will need to check the setup menu of Sky.

Mark.

3. Bobby_Dazzler

Bobby_Dazzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and i thought it would be easy !

ok...

the scart goes from sky + to av1 on my sony tele. if i hit the av channel switch button on the remote it goes to channel rgb but the picture remains the same and i get sound

av2 i get nothing
    yc2 i get nothing
    av3 nothing
    yc3 sharper picture but it looks a bit too sharp in my opinion ie on sky tv guide menu it looks to harsh white next to the blue looks too sickly for want of a better word.

so what do you guys recomend ?

still got no sound tho... what menus do i need to change?