1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S-video to scart question

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by matt.pembers, Jan 24, 2005.

1. matt.pembers

matt.pembers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Just ordered a Sony KV28SC70 widescreen tv :) . While waiting for it to be delivered something has occured to me about connecting it up to my existing kit.

My DVD player (a Technics SC-DV290 DVD mini system) oddly doesn't have a scart socket. It only has composite and s-video outputs. Up until now I have been using the composite output with a phono to scart converter that was supplied with it. I'm told that composite doesn't give great picture quality. Up until now I've been watching on a budget 20" televideo, but presumably I would be better off feeding my new tv from the higher quality s-video output.

My new TV does have an s-video socket, so I could use that - except that it is on the front of the set. Obviously I'd rather not have a cable dangling out of the front of my TV. So I was thinking of using an s-video to scart cable.

Can I expect any problems with this route? I know that I need to make sure the cable goes in the right direction or has a switch to set direction. Is there anything else to consider? Will this arrangement cause any problems with picture quality? Will I be getting an RGB signal through the scart end, or composite, or something else?

I have seen some stories on the net of people only getting black and white images through s-video to scart converters. But this was on a site selling s-video to scart cables "guaranteed for colour" so I'm not sure what to make of it. Is this a myth? Or is it just a matter of getting a quality cable/converter?

:lease: Any adivce appreciated!

TIA,

Matt.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Check first if your TV supports S-Video on one of the Scart connectors because not all do.

Normally you need to activate the S-Video output at the player which then would disable RGB output.
    When the RGB output is active so will composite be (since it's used as sync for RGB).

There is no conversion, the signal remains untouched. Thus adapter is a more suitable term.

Sounds like a marketing slogan to me ...

3. matt.pembers

matt.pembers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. According to the specs on the Sony website one of the scarts on the TV accepts s-video, so I should be OK with the s-video to scart cable :)

Thanks again.

Regards,

Matt.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    I'm not sure if you are aware, so I'll mention it just in case. S-Video does not carry any audio, so if you want to use the speakers on your TV you will need to get an S-Video plus 2 RCA plugs to scart lead ie something like This

Mark.