S-Video to SCART connection

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Comicman, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Comicman

Comicman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heard somewhere that you can get hold of some kind of adaptor/connector that you can put S-Video into scart? Does anyone know of this and if so does it effect the quality? I had a problem with my Scart connection as my player doesn't output RGB and the picture wasn't as good on R1, movement of colours etc, I bought an S-Video and audio leads and the picture is superb and now when I compare the two it is so sharp compared to my scart connection. The scart connection is very blurry and like I said there is a movement of colours on NTSC.

The reason I want an S-Video to SCART connection is so I don't have to have the wires hanging from the front of the TV.

Let me know if this is available anywhere and if it will effect the s-video picture quality no I finally have it sorted.

2. kevenh

kevenh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Comicman,
    SCART is a convenient interconnect cable.
    S-video is a format of video.
    What I mean is, a fully wired SCART lead can carry the s-video signal from your dvd player to the tv.
    You will need to check that the scart input on your TV accepts an S-video input.

Your dvd player should put out s-video on the scart already - but check the dvd's menu settings. etc.

lektropacks have a good range of cables.
    You could buy an s-video to scart in cable from them.

Do you need the audio going the same route? I'd check into that if you decided to get this cable!

3. kevenh

kevenh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, you described how your audio is currently cabled :blush:

A fully wired scart will carry the audio from your dvd to tv.
    If you bought the s-video to scart in lead you'd also need two phones as well.
    e.g. [​IMG]

4. Comicman

Comicman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does this mean I have spent £40 on s-video and audio leads for nothing? You mentioned I have to make sure the scart input on my TV accepts s-video, how do I find this out? I have the Sony 32 FQ75 if that helps. There is an option to do with s-video on my player, simply allows you to select s1 or s2 - do you know what this means?

5. Comicman

Comicman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I still have the scart lead plugged into the RGB scart input on the TV, just to compare the quality of the two sources really. Should I be just putting the scart in one of the standard scart inputs on the TV.

This gets very complicated. Basically I want the oicture as goos as on s-video but running through scart so I don't hav ethe wires hanging from the front tof my TV.

6. kevenh

kevenh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh!
    There is an adapator you could use.
    Look for SWITCHED SCART/3PHONO + 4-PIN S-VHS SOCKET
    Order Code:- GSA4 (gold)
    Same site - under Cable adaptors.

I had to use one myself.

It may be better to not have to use the adaptor, but as you've alreadsy forked out for the 1st set of cables...

7. kevenh

kevenh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the sony, I expect the standard scart inputs are for s-video and composite video.

8. Comicman

Comicman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can easily take them back. So are you saying it may be something I have overlooked with the scart settings? Or is my s-video set up bound to be better quality due to my player not outputting RGB through my scart setup?

9. kevenh

kevenh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I need to check what you've tried before you spend more money or start taking things back to the shop on the strength of what I write!! :eek:

Your sony has three scart inputs: -
    Scart 1 1 x (AV-In/Out; RGB In)
    Scart 2 1 x (AV-In/Out; S-Video In)
    Scart 3 1 x (AV-In/Out; S-Video In)

Have you tried scart 2 or 3 with a fully wired scart lead?
    You should get the same result comparing s-video connected via your front connection as you do connecting s-video via scart2 (or 3!).

The adaptor would let you use your existing cables, but new cables of a similar quality connected direct should be a couple of % better.

I don't want to labour the point, but some scart leads may have just the minimum wires to get composite video and audio to a tv.
    It would make your testing/final install easier if all 21pins are wired up.

10. Comicman

Comicman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't try the other the other scart sockets at first as on the TV manual it says to hoo the DVD up to RGB, which is pointless since I found out about my player. I tried the other scart inputs on the TV and it didn't seem to make a difference in picture quality.

The thing that started all this was the crappy quality my R1 discs were coming out at, moving colours etc, they just were not solid. As I mentioned, I compared the scart source through AV! (RGB) last night with AV4 (S-Video) and s-video was much sharper. Since looking at the DVDs through s-video I saw it improved DVD in general including R2. I suppose I should have another play tonight and connect through s-video scart. I haven't noticed that this is what the other scarts must support, is this standard on all scart sockets on TVs?

What you are saying is if I try the other two scarts it should have exactly the same picture quality as the s-video connection? My scart lead cost £20 and my s-video lead cost £20 and the audio leads cost £20, is a £20 s-video lead better quality than a £20 scart?

11. Comicman

Comicman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does SCART have both s-video lead and the audio leads - is this what it is made up from if you know what I mean? Basically a scart being the same as s-video and the audio leads combined?

12. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The scart standard tried to be all things to all men! A fully wired cable will carry composite, s-video and RGB and stereo audio - but not neccessarily all the video options at the same time! You usually need to configure the equipment you are connecting to specify which signals it will support.

DaveP

13. kevenh

kevenh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't noticed that this is what the other scarts must support, is this standard on all scart sockets on TVs?
    It is typical to have a scart input for rgb and other scart inputs for s-video. My Panasonic has just two scart inputs (Scart 1 = 1 x (AV-In/Out; RGB In) Scart 2 = 1 x (AV-In/Out; S-Video In), and the front connectors like your sony.

What you are saying is if I try the other two scarts it should have exactly the same picture quality as the s-video connection?
    Very similar - I don't think you should have the problems you descibed.

Is a £20 s-video lead better quality than a £20 scart?
    The scart lead is more complicated to make, so if it is the same price as the s-video lead I'd expect the s-video lead to be better.

Does SCART have both s-video lead and the audio leads - is this what it is made up from if you know what I mean? Basically a scart being the same as s-video and the audio leads combined?
    Yes. A fully wired scart lead has video and audio (ins and outs), as well as a control signal.

14. Comicman

Comicman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for making things clearer to me. If I still get this issue with picture quality, specifically R1 when I try the other scarts what should I do? Just carry on using the s-video leads and try the adaptor that is available?

15. Comicman

Comicman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the S1 and S2 option in the DVD setup when you fo to s-video?

16. Comicman

Comicman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is S-Video better quality than RGB Scart?

17. kevenh

kevenh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for making things clearer to me.
    You’re welcome. I just hope it’s all relevant to your R1 issue.

If I still get this issue with picture quality, specifically R1 when I try the other scarts what should I do? Just carry on using the s-video leads and try the adaptor that is available?
    It might just be that there is a setting on your tv that needs switching to S-video. On my Panasonic, if I want to use the s-video input on SCART 2, I have to select it twice (with the remote or front panel controls) as the 1st time it picks out the composite input on SCART 2, and the 2nd time, finally the s-video input is selected. If you still get the R1 issue, then there maybe a problem with your TV.

What is the S1 and S2 option in the DVD setup when you fo to s-video?
    Sorry. No idea about that. Does the black level change?

Is S-Video better quality than RGB Scart?
    RGB should be better than S-video. The CRT in TV’s use a red, green, and blue electron guns. So, giving your TV a signal that should need minimal conversion should be best. BUT! It appears that some/all tv’s convert RGB to S-video internally before going back to RGB!! Hence the continued debate about which is best. In the end, your own testing will have to guide your choice.

18. kevenh

kevenh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your Pioneer DV-340 does have s-video on it's SCART O/P.
    (according to techtronics...)

19. Comicman

Comicman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, it has an s-video output, like I said I connected the s-video leads last night. Just need to see if I can get s-video at the same quality as through the front set up as we've discussed.