S-Video to oldskool-SCART opinions.

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by f0rmula, Apr 27, 2007.

1. f0rmula

f0rmula

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a S-Video connector on the front of the TV, but not on the back; I only have SCART sockets on the back. When I connect the TV-out (s-video) on my PC to the front, it works fabulously. Amazing quality, but I don't really want cables sticking out the front of the TV.

I tried to convert from S-Video to SCART last night and ended up with a black and white picture. That might not be a suprise to some of the more well informed of you :)

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video

"Most SCART-equipped televisions or VCRs (and almost all of the older ones) do not actually support S-Video, resulting in a black-and-white picture if such a connection is attempted, as only the luminance signal portion is usable."

"A hack exists to possibly attain color on devices that do not support S-Video through SCART. This is done via joining the pins 15 and 20 in the SCART connector (either directly or using a 470pF capacitor), but may not yield optimal results.

A similar hack also allows color. This connects the Y and C (3 and 4) pins on the S-Video connector."

My initial thought is to try and perpetrate the 'hack'. Although, if it's going to ruin the superb quality picture I'm getting though the s-video connection. I'm not sure if that's a good plan. At the moment I'm seriously considering hacking my s-video cable to bits and drilling through the base of the TV to feed the svideo connection in while keeping the frontpanel shut.

(The TV is a Sony Widescreen http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160106626835)

What would you guys do about this?

Cheers,

James

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    One of the SCART sockets may well be S-video compatible; you could use an operator manual to find out (maybe downlaodable somewhere).
    For the benefit of others, it's a 10 year old Sony KV-28WS2U TV.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

3. ows90

ows90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Try the scart socket labelled 2 on the back, if s-video is supported that's usually the one that supports it -- and make sure you cycle through all the inputs using the input source button.

4. f0rmula

f0rmula

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, sorry. I didn't know the model of TV would matter, I just assumed all of my SCART sockets were incompatible with s-video.

I'll have a look for a manual for it.

Thankyou.

James

5. f0rmula

f0rmula

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope. Neither SCART socket is S-Video compatible.

I think I'm going to have to solder a fly lead off the terminals that goto the front svideo socket, and run the cable out the rear.

James

6. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,617
    If you are going to solder stuff, and if your PC card supports the resolutions and timings, why not make a VGA to Scart lead adapter and use the RGB output?

7. f0rmula

f0rmula

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I do that without damaging the TV/Videocard?

And does it not matter that it's not a 100hz TV?

James

8. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,617
  9. f0rmula

f0rmula

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: