1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S-Video to Composite Video converter home made.?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by nismoskys, Aug 31, 2005.

1. nismoskys

nismoskys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey i was wondering if its possible to take an s-video cable and convert it to a composite video cable. Does someone think they could tell me which wires to connect, because i am quite sure its possible, i just dont know which wires to put together.. Here is my situation.. in pictures, lol.

This is what i want to make happen..
    [​IMG]

Here is a close-up on the composite..
    [​IMG]

And Here is a close-up on the S-video..
    [​IMG]

2. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    you can buy a converter from TVcables or somewhere that'll do the jobby - just be aware that it is not an ideal solution by any stretch.

3. nismoskys

nismoskys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i know i can buy it, but im cheap, i want to make it, on top of that i have zero cash anyways... so if anyone knows how, let me know, thanks

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    I may be wrong, but Idon't think you can do this by simply sticking a new 'Plug' at one end.

I think its a bit like putting a grass cutter on a car in the hope that you'll acquire a lawn mower on the cheap.

S-Video and Composite are different methods of signal transfer. The plug on the end is simply an agreed shape for each method.
    So I'm pretty sure that connecting the 4 wires required for S-Video into a basic phono plug cannot possibly work.

5. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    yes it is possible because in this direction composite to SVideo is a passive component job. You get inline converters from Keene.co.uk electronics. Don't ask me how they are made, as there is some signal combining. But its not as simple as just combining the wires.

Cheers

Rajiv

6. nismoskys

nismoskys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys but i figured it out through a lil method called Trial and ErroR :thumbsup: ! I just plugged the svideo into my dvd player and plugged the composite in2 the tv/video of my tv, and just trying different wires until i got my desired results, i'll post up some pics for those of you wanting to do the same thing..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For those of you really wanting to make this... this is how you connect it, from s-video to composite video, using the following colors (if your cable has the same colors as mine.

S-video Composite Video
    Orange+Red------------>Yellow
    Black+Brown+Ground---->Ground

7. profquatermass

profquatermass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes but that only worked because the S-video device recognised that two wires shorted together means 'output a composite signal instead of a S-Video signal'.
    Not every device can be guaranteed will do that.
    Best with a s-video to composite adaptor device.
    Here is a link to a web page that talks about the DIY S-Video to Composite approach.

tag: S-VHS

8. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Absoutely correct.
    The OP was lucky in this instance.
    S-Video uses spearate wires for thje colour info (Chrominance) and brightness (Luminance) , hence sometimes called Y/C.
    Composite video sends all that info down one wire.
    Hence an IC is usually required to convert from s-video to Cvbs.

NB: Just checked the link mentioned above; it so happens that I work for the company that makes the AD725 that it mentions :)

Chris Muriel, Manchester