1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S-Video to Component cables

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by RMCF, Sep 2, 2005.

1. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Can you get such a cable?

I have checked a few of the cable websites but found nothing.

I ask because my Sony HC system has an S-Video ouput for picture, not SCART.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You can't just use a cable to change from S-Video to component (aka YUV), what you need is a video converter.

BTW: Scart doesn't typically carry component, with few exceptions (e.g. Loewe TVs). Perhaps you mean RGB (which is technically speaking also a component signal)?

Maybe you name your equipment (make and model), then it's easier for others to give advise.

3. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    The reason I was asking about such a type of cable is because I use a Sony DAV-S500 all-in-one system as my DVD source.

Due to its compact size, it outputs its video from an S-Video socket and not a SCART. At present it is connected S-Video --> SCART on the back of TV.

Now that I have acquired a Panasonic 36TXPL32 I have read advice saying to try and make use of its component sockets. So I guess now that I can't, unless I am willing to change my DVD source.

4. Troon

Troon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Correct. You could go to the hassle and expense of getting an S-Video to component converter, but you already have one, just past the S-Video (via SCART) input on your TV. No benefit.

The best upgrade, as you have already identified, is to get a decent player that outputs to the best-quality connection your TV will accept. In descending order, these are (with some scope for disagreement):

HDMI / DVI
    Component (progressive)
    Component (interlaced)
    RGB SCART
    S-Video (mini-DIN)
    S-Video (SCART)
    Composite (RCA)
    Composite (SCART)
    RF

Welcome to the slippery slope of diminishing returns and upgradeophilia.