S-Video to 2nd TV

D

DarrenL

I'm about to buy a new LCD-TV for the bedroom and want the best picture possible (without having to buy a new box and Sky multiroom).

I heard the RF2 feed is mono only. Is this true?

I was thinking that I could use the S-video output through a 10 meter cable whilst at the same time keep the RF input so I can still use the TV-Link.
Has anyone tried this? Does it sound like a reasonable idea?

10m S-video cables are available, but s-video doesn't carry audio.

DarrenL said:
I heard the RF2 feed is mono only. Is this true?

I was thinking that I could use the S-video output through a 10 meter cable whilst at the same time keep the RF input so I can still use the TV-Link.
Has anyone tried this? Does it sound like a reasonable idea?

Yes.

As Nick says s-video does not carry audio so how about running a lead from the RCA phonos for stereo as well and the TVlink for remote control?
A bit cable intensive but if you must have stereo:)

A wireless videosender will work as well although not as cheap as running a few cables:)

Interesting. Thanks for the help guys.

How about a 10m scart? (I presume the the 2nd scart socket on the sky+ is RGB)

DarrenL said:
Interesting. Thanks for the help guys.

How about a 10m scart? (I presume the the 2nd scart socket on the sky+ is RGB)

Only the TV scart is RGB.

I've never seen a scart cable that long. You'd be far better off with s-video and a stereo sound pair.

Plenty of scart leads available 10m and over, but only composhite from VCR scart. Best s-video + stereo audio + RF2 for control (is how I install sometimes).

derbyjj said:
try a video sender
Will be significantly worse image than running s-video. Saves on laying cables, but at massive cost to PQ.

i have the solution, done it myself.

s-video to scart cable, with two phonos. two phonos out from sky + box, s-video out from sky plus box, in to scart coupler. 10 m flat (or round whatever you want) scart to other room and straight into an s-video compatible scart socket (or same thing as other end if has to be s-video) :)

to summarise

L audio \
R audio --->S-V to SCART>Scart>TV
S-Video /

and i have to say the S-Video signal produced by Sky+ is phenomenal! even over a 13m run for me, its almost as good as the RGB from normal sky in the same room.

The one I'd use would be s-video + stereo over cat5 wire. So easy to run, top quality, and the wire is very cheap. The baluns are a bit of a price, but then so is any half decent 10m s-video cable, and that assumes 10m really is enough.

Interesting!

Have you any advice or url I could follow regarding diy cabling with cat5 and baluns?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom