1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S-video Support

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sevans2626, Apr 27, 2005.

1. sevans2626

sevans2626

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All

I am a newbie to the AV forums. Can I just say thanks to the administrators I found the archives of this site very informative when buying my plasma.

I have recently purchased a LG 42PX11

I know they are not the best or the worst butam very happy with it. I want to run my xbox through the s-video connection but the screen will not receive a signal. The input I am using has red/white/yellow and s-video inputs. Sound is fine as well as the yellow composite input but when I take out the yellow composite to use the s-video cable no signal. Is there a menu that I need to access to say use this input instead of the other? I have had a look through the instructions but they are very badly translated and there doesn't appear to be any relevant information.

I hope you can help...

Best Regards

Sam :)

2. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    If the input on the TV is sharing the s-vid and composite terminals, then yes it's pretty likely that there will be an option somewhere to choose between the two. My old Toshiba RP has a similar thing, AV3 is AV SCART & S-video shared, and I need to switch between AV & S-video depending on what I plug into it.

Sorry I can't be more specific...just guessing really ;)

But I'm sure there will be some kind of "connection" or "input" menu somewhere to configure this.

3. sevans2626

sevans2626

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats what I thought. Anyone know how to access this hidden menu? I heard if you hold menu on the monitor and remote it accesses a new menu. Dont really want to play with it too much as its still new?

Thanks danluton

4. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I'm sure it wouldn't be a 'hidden' menu...I suspect what you are referring to is a service/engineer menu, it's extremely unlikely to be hidden in one of those!

5. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    if your using the svideo and composite connections on the side then you can only have one connected!
    these are more a temp connection rather than dedicated, use the s video at the rear thats what i have my dvd connected too with the probs

6. sevans2626

sevans2626

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I tried it that way, but it didnt work. Maybe I have a naff lead. I thought the s-video on the back was an output not an input.

7. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    no mate im defo using the s video at the rear of the panel for dvd!
    i use the side connections (svid, comp)as a quick fix solution ie plugging camcorder in etc,
    so id check ur cables etc and if still no joy id say the panels bust :(

8. papa_flump

papa_flump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I don't know too much about xbox's but this may help...

"Yeah an Xbox would look better over-all I think if you have a nice TV. If your TV has an S-Video port - make sure you pick up the XBox S-Video adapter cable kit (or a generic one) as it also makes a noticeable difference I found in picture quality".

judging by the comments above... you may need further kit!

9. Teccy Toker

Teccy Toker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is no hidden option in the service menu for s-video on the Lg...having the s-video cable plugged in overrides the composite video for that av input....also -beware if you are using stiff s-video cables......I was using them on my lg, and i broke both the sockets (just with a slight movment of the cables.)
    TT

10. sevans2626

sevans2626

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a dodgy lead. Bought a replacement and it works fine. Am using the S-Video on the back not the side and looks great. Cheers for your help guys...

11. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    pleasure ;)atleast it was the cheapest part that was the dodgy link hey