• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

S-Video Sky+ to Samsung LCD TV - Black and White help!!!

uk_inconditus

Standard Member
Hi

Connected my Sky+ box via a Belkin PureAV S-video with Audio to Scart cable to my Samsung LE40R88BD 40" LCD TV. All I am getting is Black and White.

Seen similar posts on ensuring you set the scart so it is expecting an S-Video source but can't find this anywhere in manual or in menu settings. On the TV itself its has two Scart sockets AV1 RGB and AV2 AV

Trying to sound as low-cal noob as possible but before this it was cheapo scart leads from Argos. Before I got the telly i tried to read up on all this and now I am feeling more confused than ever.

If only Sky+ came with HDMI.

Help much awaited and appreciated

MarkTaylor

Prominent Member
I don't think your TV supports S-Video over SCART, personally I would have used an RGB SCART from the Sky+ to your TV as they both have RGB SCART connections.

uk_inconditus

Standard Member
I am right in saying RGB scart doesnt carry sound. If that is the case

a) What is the benefit of doing that over the fully wired versions (Just to expand on my already expanding knowledge)

b)What would be the best way to get sound from Sky+ to TV. I would assume optical digital cable is the one. Would the two be able to work together.

On a separate note, is there any good sites that explain all that needs to be explained. Found some sites but they assume you have some knowledge of the basics.

D

Deleted member 30535

I am right in saying RGB scart doesnt carry sound. If that is the case

a) What is the benefit of doing that over the fully wired versions (Just to expand on my already expanding knowledge)

b)What would be the best way to get sound from Sky+ to TV. I would assume optical digital cable is the one. Would the two be able to work together.

On a separate note, is there any good sites that explain all that needs to be explained. Found some sites but they assume you have some knowledge of the basics.

"RGB Only" Scarts do not carry sound. Fully-wired Scarts carry RGB and Sound.

EDIT: The advantage, according to the design of RGB Only leads, is that without the audio leads it is possible to provided improved shielding for the RGB picture cables in the Scart lead. But TBH if there is no interference in the first place, I doubt if RGB only vs fully wired would show any real difference.

MarkTaylor

Prominent Member

If you only want to get stereo sound to the TV I'd be inclined to use a fully wired RGB SCART cable.

If you want 5.1 and/or you need sound to an amp then use optical.

uk_inconditus

Standard Member
If you only want to get stereo sound to the TV I'd be inclined to use a fully wired RGB SCART cable.

If you want 5.1 and/or you need sound to an amp then use optical.

Throw further confusion into the mix.

I do have a 5.1 HCinabox and that was connected originally via fully wired scart. It also has s-video and optical connections.

The reason I was concentrating on the sky+ is because that is the main viewing of the house and so is priority. I am also looking to eventually replace the HC system for something that is either DVD Speaker Separates or a complete one with HCMI connection for the digital connection.

I thought I knew a bit bout this stuff but after reading some other threads I aint even scratched the surface

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Well for sound on the HC use the optical connection (you'll even get proper DD5.1 from the movie channels and Dolby Pro-Logic from everything else)

Then a Scart from Sky to TV - Make sure the Sky box is set to output RGB for video and Dolby Digital for sound and you are good to go.

Another advantage of using the RGB only type of scart is that they don't carry the sound. If you always use the Amp/HC for sound it means you don't have to worry about turning down the volume. But they are a lot rarer than normal fully wired scarts

T

tpush

Hi, is there a difference between a normal scart and a RGB scart?

I've recently purchased the Samsung 4088BD and Sky+ and for some reason I can't connect sky+ to my RBG scart connection, it only works when I plug the scart into the AV scart. Is there a difference?

For info I'm only using the scart cable provided by Sky.

MarkTaylor

Prominent Member
Have you set the Sky box to output RGB?

SCART cables do vary and not all have the connections to carry RGB but I'd be surprised if Sky had provided a cable that couldn't do it.

You are using the TV out SCART on the Sky box not the VCR one?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
As someone has already stated most SCART cables can carry a RGB signal, I can't think of an aftermarket cable that wouldn't. The correct terminology as mentioned above is "RGB only" which only carries video and "fully wired" which carries video and audio. I would keep it simple and just use a normal SCART cable. Try Thor, Philex, Vivanco, Ixos blue range for budget ones and QED for more expensive ones. I certainly wouldn't use the freebie SCART cables, in fact if you want one, I can probably lay my hands on 50! They're poorly made, poorly shielded and I've seen them fall apart which could potentially damage your kit. I would look at your TV though, as the Sky+ should work on both SCART connections and obviously you will get a better result on the RGB enabled SCART connection not the "AV" SCART. Try another source in the RGB SCART connection and see if it works. Ensure the Sky + is setup to output RGB by going into the services menu> picture settings and changing it to RGB, 16:9 and SCART control on. Other things to try are the obvious ones i.e. use another SCART cable or try reversing the current cable and as someone has stated above, that you are using the TV SCART connection on the sky box as the VCR one only supports composite video. It sounds like the TV is the issue to me though.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom