S-Video RGB Question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bobbles, May 4, 2003.

1. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly is it possible to pass an S-Video signal through a fully wired scart?

I think it can

Also

I now have sky+ connection to my E30 via S-Video and audio leads and I have my S35 connected to my E30 via RGB scart

So if I record to RAM from sky+ can i then transfer the RAM to -R via an RGB signal?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    Yes.

Yes as the RGB is just a transmission signal. An extreme example is if you record from a composite VHS source onto a DVDR - you can then play that disk quite happily from an RGB output. The same applies to an S-Video sourced recording.

3. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can not believe I only just found that out today

Sorry I didn't word my question very well, what i meant was is there any point?

in the original recording in RAM using a S-Video connection have you lost whatever made it RGB so would it matter if it was RGB or S-Video when going from RAM to -R

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    Oh I see - I thought you probably knew that Bobbles :blush:

No your quite right - there isn't much point - you won't gain anything because the initial recording is in S-Video.

5. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the reason I was asking was because I have the S35 set to S-video/Component so i was wondering if it was worth changing to RGB if I was recording from RAM to -R

Well this saves a little hassle

6. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,086
    Hi

Each time you make a copy, the signal will be slightly degraded - using the best possible transmission method will reduce this. Therefore, even if the source was only recorded via s-video, you will reduce the potential signal degregation by making subsequent copies using RGB.