1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S-Video - Reciver - Component

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by chrisyd, Aug 23, 2004.

1. chrisyd

chrisyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry if this a stupif question.

I am looking at purchasing a Panny PW6 with a Component card. I plan to connect the TV to an AV Reciver (have not decided on make and model yet, but if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them).

The main reason I am choosing component is I have a component DVD player (or will have very shortly), but my Sky and VCR have S-Video and SCART outlets.

If I connect the VCR and SKY to the Reciver via S-Video do I need to do anything else? The question I am asking is will the AV Receiver automatically use the component connection between the plasma and the AV reciever or do I have to do anything with the S-Video out on the AV Receiver, or do I need to purchase a convertor from my SKy and VCR to Component?

I hope this all makes some sense

thanks

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    It all depends on the receiver that you buy. Most receivers from the mid range & up will have a feature called 'video upconversion' that will upconvert, but not improve the video signal from composite & S-Video to component. If the receiver does not have this feature listed then it will not work as an S-Video input will only be output as S-Video.
    As for your VCR, if this is just a standard VHS VCR then you will not be able to connect it to the receiver via S-Video as they do not output an S-Video signal and if you try it you will only get a black & white picture. If the VCR is an SVHS VCR then it will work fine. Also most Sky boxes do not have S-Video. Only Sky+, and some of the very new Sky boxes do have S-Video. If no S-Video then I would suggest you get an RGB to S-video or RGB to component converter for Sky. The best converters are from JS-Technology, one of the forum sponsers. Take a look in the sponsors area to find them. These converters will not work for any VCR's as they do not output RGB either.

Mark.

3. chrisyd

chrisyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks MarkE19,

I have just got home and I have checked my Sky and VCR (Sky has S-Video but my VCR only has Scart).

I presume I can purchase a a Scart converter/cable that will go from the VCR into a composite socket on an AV receiver?

cheers

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,522
    chrsiyd

As MarkE19 says SOME AV Receivers give you video 'Up Conversion' as a convenience feature on top of straightforward video switching.

Keep in mind though your probably looking at £600+ for an AV Receiver with video 'Up Conversion'.

If SKY+ is a Primary source I'd avoid using video 'Up Conversion' in an AV Receiver.

I'd install the TY-42TM6YB Component/S-Video and Composite card in the display and run the required cables from each source direct to the Display; or if your planning adding in additional 'same type' sources via the AV Receiver (again keeping three distinct video lines to the Display).

The Panasonic Display has high quality circuitry aboard to process S-Video signals and you undermine this ability if you use Video 'Up Conversion' in an AV Receiver.

As MarkE19 says if budget allows you may want to consider an RGB2YUV converter in preference to using S-Video from your Digibox.

Best regards

Joe

5. phfjones

phfjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably an expensive way of doing this, but could you not have the Sky RBG output of scart going into a Panasonic E85 HDD/DVD Recorder, and then using the component output of this model into the plasma?

Paul