1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S video questions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by paiger, Jan 28, 2002.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am about to set up my Sony 940 to do what it was supposed to do and be an AV reciever, not just an amp. This will mean running the DVD, VCR, SAT and PS2 through it and using the Svideo out to connect to my monitor (TV). All the inputs on the amp are svideo or comp.

I currently have it all wired up with scarts but would like it a bit more organised. Trouble is, while my DVD has an S-video socket, the VCR, TV, Satbox etc. are all scarts. Do you think it would be possible to use scart-Svideo converter cables here? THey would be used to connect:

Svideo out on the amp to scart on the TV.

VCR scart out to svideo in on the amp.

STB scart out to svideo in on the amp.

Will this all work or am I just a crazy fool?

I plan on getting a projector rigged up soon so I would like all the video sources coming out of one output.

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Why do you need to do this?

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the projector I am planning on getting has one Svideo input so I could do with all the video signals being processed through the amp.

Plus, I'm a lunatic.

S

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,557
    there will be no s-video on the VCR SCART, unless your VCR is S-VHS, so you'll have to use composite!!

Also, not many STB boxes have a s-video output in there SCART sockets either...you'll have to use composite...

not sure about PS2, but i think its composite only aswell...

5. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, so for these I need a Scart to composite cable? My vcr had no comp out, only scart. How about the TV? Will a Svid to Scart cable do? Do I know what I'm talking abot any more? No.

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think we know but you must understand that not all your sources can output S-Video (like your VCR), hence you must use composite here (inside the Scart).
    As the Av amp/receiver does not convert from composite to S-Video or vice versa it means you must have two connections to the projector, one composite and one S-Video.
    The sources can be connected via Scart adapter cables to the AV amp/receiver, no problem here but make sure to choose the correct ones.

7. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why oh why would you want to down grade from RGB to S-Video or composite in the first place? Most of your devices excluding your video recorder and possibly your PS2 will output RGB which is far superior to anything except component video output. Surely you wouldn't sacrifice quality for convenience.

8. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I missed the bit where you say your planned projector has 1 S-Video connector. If your new projector only has S-Video and does not support RGB, then please disregard my last post.

9. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I can see why paiger wants to run video through the amplifier – it seems a logical to switch sources in only one place.

I have the same problem. The only way round it for me is to buy an RGB to S-Video converter for the Digibox and use a normal 2 way SCART to S-Video + LR audio with S-Video <> Composite converters on the S-Video plugs (£4.99 each from Maplin).

This allows amplifier OSD all the time as well as tidy input switching etc and selectable record source for the video.

Luckily, I find little difference in quality between RGB and S-Video output with my DVD/TV combination.

Mark

10. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK guys, thanks for all your input. I have decided that I will continue to connect my DVD up to my TV with an RGB Scart. All the others will be run through the amp via composite connections. When I get my projector it will have 1 Svid and one comp input so I'll probably be doing much the smae only having using svid-svid on the DVD instead of RGB. I don't really want to sacrifice quality for convenience but I spend most evenings trying to explain to my dear wife how to get the telly to dispaly whats playing on the VCR etc.

By the way, how does composite compare to Svideo? Any opinions? As Reiner says I can't mix them on my amp as it's a seperate bus.

S

11. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    S-Video is a major leap in quality versus Composite. I know from experience that there is less pronounced increase in quality between S-Video and RGB, but my TV seems to be only very *slightly* worse with S-Video than with RGB; both are stunning.

Mark

12. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RGB is best
    s-video is not far behind
    composite is miles and miles behind

13. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now, I'm more confused. If I use the Svideo monitor out on my amp it means I need to plug the VCR, Sat etc into the Svideo inputs. I have seen Scart to Svideo cables from Ixos. Somebody suggested that these may not work for some reason. Any idea why I couldn't take the scart out of my VCR and convert to Svideo plugged into the amp? As far as I am aware, there is only one video out pin in a scart plug, I don't need all the audio or status junk.

S

14. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    s-video is a video signal and a connection method. Scart is a connection method only.

So when you see s-video to scart, what that means is that there will be a little round s-video connection at one end and a scart connection at the other end. It will still only be able to carry the s-video video signal though.

Scart leads can carry RGB, s-video and composite. The do not convert the signal from one to another. For that you need to purchase a converter (which is sometimes incorporated into the lead).

15. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,557
    only S-VHS VCR's support s-video....

no A/V amp i have seen, will convert composite to s-video or vice versa....they completly separate connections. although many amps will switch both formats.

16. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a sony 925, but I use an external switch box from B-Tech, this gives me 3 RGB and 1 S vid input and outputs for RGB and S vid.

You can get stuff from maplins for scart to composite or SVHS.

My On Digital box can be switched to RGB composite or S video and well I got most of my stuff all plugged in the way I like it.

I am doing some (very) long term studies of scart switching at the moment, I am aware that the problems of the box I use is, no auto widescreen, and it defaults to composite on my TV when I want RGB, I am also aware that 4 inputs is not enough for some of us. Maybe one day I will sort it all, but don't hold your breath.